cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bryce, UT to Torrey, UT

cgaskins
Explorer
Explorer
Well we have about to depart from Bryce, UT for Torrey, UT tomorrow (Wednesday). I am unsure of the route I should go... I have an F350 + a 40 foot 5th wheel RV.

Choice A:
Utah Route 12 from Bryce to Torrey

Choice B:
89 to 62 to 24 into Torrey

Anyone here made the Highway 12 route from Bryce to Torrey towing 14K lbs and 40 feet of RV? I have towed my RV through some mountains before (Ike tunnel, Lizardhead / CO-145 from Delores to Telluride, and highways 34 and 36 up to Estes Park, CO) so I am not a newbie but I am a little cautious.

Any thoughts/comments?

-Chris
A resident of the great city of Austin, Texas
2015 Heartland Big Country 3650RL
2017 Ford F-350 Lariat Ultimate (6.7 Powerstroke)
18 REPLIES 18

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Hwy 12 is a standard width two-lane highway. Thanks for the video.... brought back many good memories of one of our favorite drives. The highway looks to be in excellent condition.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Like I have always said about rv'ing (or just driving) some roads - this one included. First of all is your ability but most important to remember is that you have no control over the guy coming the other way. I could be wrong here in watching this but is seems many people coming against him are hugging or ever over their white should line. Tell you something?
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

cgaskins
Explorer
Explorer
I made a video of part of the drive from my dashcam. Note that it is running 2x normal speed.

https://youtu.be/2oiuzAmthvI

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you drove the 12. Sometimes people on here who have never towed on it or even driven on it scare people from traveling it. It is an unbelievable highway and not scary in the least. The Hog Back is only a 1/2 mile long and is over in 1 minute.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
There isn't much of a shoulder on the Hog Back, and there is a crazy climb heading up to it from Bryce to Torrey. I can't remember the grade but it's over 10%. I personally wouldn't want to pull a 40ft fifth wheel through that section. The rest of it isn't bad, just lots of twists and turns.

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
We drove Hyw12 with our 36 ft.5th Wheel. It is beautiful and not to be missed. No problems at all. The ridgeback is quite beautiful. The road is nice and just as wide as regular highway. We are from Indiana flat land and had no problems at all! Enjoy! Matter of fact we leave next week for three weeks out there, cant wait!! We love southern Utah! Tara
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL

dedmiston
paulj wrote:
There's a ridgeback near Boulder that requires a balancing pole!

Yeah. I'm not a fan of that drive either.

If you're in doubt, fire up Google Earth and take the virtual drive from Escalante to Boulder and see what you think. It's not for everyone.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

cgaskins
Explorer
Explorer
We made the drive this morning... Easy peasy - no issues or problems. CO-145 from Delores into Telluride is more intense that Highway 12. Thanks everyone for the advice.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
My first time driving that ridge, I was concerned as we approached it. As it turns out, it was a breeze -- no problem at all, and very scenic. I have since driven many other twisty narrow roads that were trickier than that one is. Don't miss it!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

jensenst
Explorer
Explorer
We did the drive with our 37ft 5th wheel take it slow no problem.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
If you've done CO 145 you can easily do Hwy 12. It's one of our favorites! Plan to stop for a night or two in Escalante and explore more of both directions of Hwy 12 with your tow.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

morley
Explorer
Explorer
donkeydew wrote:
12 is a beautiful drive and should not missed.

I also agree U12 is a beautiful route and can not be missed, the ridgeback is not as precarious as some make It out to be.
2008 Topaz F254SS 26 ft.
2009 Chevy Silverado, 2500HD, Duramax, Allison Tranny, 4x4, EC
250 watt solar panel system, BlueSky controller and remote

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
donkeydew wrote:
12 is a beautiful drive and should not missed.

I Agree.
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

cruiserjs
Explorer
Explorer
paulj wrote:
There's a ridgeback near Boulder that requires a balancing pole!

Paul exaggerates ( as usual!). Hiway 12 is one of our favorite drives - including the ridgeback section.
Colorado Cruiser
Cruiser CF29CK 5th wheel; 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 2wd, short bed
wonderful lifetime traveling companion/spouse