cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery boosting

diver57
Explorer
Explorer
Hi I have duel batteries in my truck that are dead after sitting all winter and need to jump them.what battery should I hook up to.
It’s a 2016 gmc 6.6 duramax
12 REPLIES 12

Z-Peller
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2016 GMC Duramax. GM tech told me everything electrical goes into sleep mode on this truck when it is shut down for a period of time, just like a laptop. I have had no problems at all with 2 month shut down. I pull camper hotwire fuse under hood and do not set alarm, just manually lock doors, then turn off camper batteries main power switch. No current draw anywhere. ......wonder if OP pulled camper charge wire fuse?...
Bill..
2017 Bigfoot 10.4 camper...2016 GMC 3500 4x4 Xcab Duramax Dually...

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kayteg1 wrote:
OP did not report back, but chances that batteries sitting dead whole winter will recharge are very slim.
That is why I automatically suggest removal from the truck.
Vehicles always draw some current when in park. On old cars/truck you had a clock, on newer one alarm and remote system. Different vehicles can sit longer time without recharging and when my sedans and new F350 will restart after 5 weeks, some luxury cars are reported to drain battery even in 3 days.

He said truck was sitting all winter, not the batteries were dead all winter. My 1+ year old batteries died during a 3+ week spell it rarely got out of the teens. Put the charger to them and they came right back.

Unless the OP knows the batteries are old or just wants the exercise, IMHO it makes sense to attempt a recharge in the truck.
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
OP did not report back, but chances that batteries sitting dead whole winter will recharge are very slim.
That is why I automatically suggest removal from the truck.
Vehicles always draw some current when in park. On old cars/truck you had a clock, on newer one alarm and remote system. Different vehicles can sit longer time without recharging and when my sedans and new F350 will restart after 5 weeks, some luxury cars are reported to drain battery even in 3 days.

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kayteg1 wrote:
Pull the batteries out and charge them. If they will recharge, than put them back, if not get new batteries.

No need to physically pull the battery (they're heavy suckers), simply disconnect the positive terminals then charge. I'd pull the positive that way you can still ground to the frame anywhere. As long as the second battery is still connected don't let the removed battery cable touch a ground.

I had a similar problem with mine over the winter. If the batteries are completely dead don't be surprised if you throw a couple engine codes. IIRC mine had an network error communicating with the TCM (transmission control module) and pre-heater alert. I just cleared the codes and they didn't come back.

Word of caution, the 12v sockets on the dash are hot even with the ignition off. Anything you leave plugged into there will be a 24/7 drain on the battery. Leaving a 12v to USB adapter and bluetooth module as well as a wireless ODBII reader plugged in is what killed mine. The other side of that is you can plug a solar battery tender into one of those sockets, lay the solar panel on the dash and keep the batteries topped off with that.
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Seek appropriate answer in owners manual ??

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Pull the batteries out and charge them. If they will recharge, than put them back, if not get new batteries.

I would do this.
Cal

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
It is likely that newer vehicles will drain batteries over the course of say 6 months. Idk if it's the norm, but I've heard it before and experienced it with a fleet of brand new trucks that were parked for 6 months. A 30 year old truck and most of the 5-10 year old trucks starred as did most of the equipment with master switches. But the brand new trucks were all dead. They also recharged after being jump started so good chance the batteries in yours aren't destroyed.
The safe way and proper way is to recharge them completely though unles you plan on hopping in and driving it for hours straight.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
No man... a loose wire will not kill an idle battery. It can make it not charge well when the engine is running and that will make it drain.

The best battery to jump a late model Duramax from is the passenger side one.
That’s it’s “primary” battery. Yes, they are both connected in parallel and it will work either way, but the passenger side has the most direct connection to the starter. The driver side battery goes through longer cables before it reaches the starter.
If you jump from that side there’s more resistance.

Like I said either side will work, the passenger side will work a little bit better. But not much. Not enough to stress over it if it’s inconvenient to reach the passenger side.

Another thing you can do is hook up two sets of jumper cables. That reduces the resistance and flows more current. It’ll start sooner that way.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
diver57 wrote:
Hi I have duel batteries in my truck that are dead after sitting all winter and need to jump them.what battery should I hook up to.

It’s not that cold in Surrey that two, 2 year old batteries would die. I live in the Kootenays which is way colder than Surrey in the winter and way hotter in the summer. The batteries in my 2007 Duramax lasted 8 years, actually they were still half decent, but it was time to change them, life was 1 year past usual life of a battery in our climate. I never plugged in the truck here in the winter, unless I go to the kids place between Banff and Calgary.
Now I’m not a Mechanic, and not even close. I know enough to get my self into trouble and that’s about it.
However two, 2 year old batteries die because the truck wasn’t run over the winter.... you have a large power drain someplace. The little scurity system in the radio, I don’t think would kill two basically brand new batteries, becuase the truck sat for 5 months.

I would be talking to a GMC teck, as well ensure all your cable connections are clean and tight, as a loose wire on either battery will help to kill a battery.
Soup.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Jumping dead batteries on digital truck brings some horror stories it can trigger.
New batteries are still cheaper than fried ECM.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
It doesn't matter at all. Hook it to which ever battery you want too.
It's entirely possible, if they've been dead for several months, that they need to be replaced. But, try to jump it off, charge them up, and see what happens.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
diver57 wrote:

Doesn't matter. They are both connected in parallel. If I were doing it to my Duramax, I'd do it to the one behind the headlight, because that's the most convenient to reach with a set of jumpers cables.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator