Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Battery boosting
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Battery boosting

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
diver57

surrey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/18 06:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi I have duel batteries in my truck that are dead after sitting all winter and need to jump them.what battery should I hook up to.
It’s a 2016 gmc 6.6 duramax

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/18 06:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

diver57 wrote:

Hi I have duel batteries in my truck that are dead after sitting all winter and need to jump them.what battery should I hook up to.

Doesn't matter. They are both connected in parallel. If I were doing it to my Duramax, I'd do it to the one behind the headlight, because that's the most convenient to reach with a set of jumpers cables.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09) with an AF811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2006 Silverado 2500HD, D/A, CCSB 4x4 with an empty truck bed (owned 2 years, Feb 2014-Feb 2016)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/18 08:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It doesn't matter at all. Hook it to which ever battery you want too.
It's entirely possible, if they've been dead for several months, that they need to be replaced. But, try to jump it off, charge them up, and see what happens.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/18 09:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jumping dead batteries on digital truck brings some horror stories it can trigger.
Pull the batteries out and charge them. If they will recharge, than put them back, if not get new batteries.
New batteries are still cheaper than fried ECM.

SideHillSoup

South Eastern British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/18 09:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

diver57 wrote:

It’s not that cold in Surrey that two, 2 year old batteries would die. I live in the Kootenays which is way colder than Surrey in the winter and way hotter in the summer. The batteries in my 2007 Duramax lasted 8 years, actually they were still half decent, but it was time to change them, life was 1 year past usual life of a battery in our climate. I never plugged in the truck here in the winter, unless I go to the kids place between Banff and Calgary.
Now I’m not a Mechanic, and not even close. I know enough to get my self into trouble and that’s about it.
However two, 2 year old batteries die because the truck wasn’t run over the winter.... you have a large power drain someplace. The little scurity system in the radio, I don’t think would kill two basically brand new batteries, becuase the truck sat for 5 months.

I would be talking to a GMC teck, as well ensure all your cable connections are clean and tight, as a loose wire on either battery will help to kill a battery.
Soup.

2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

burningman

Seattle, WA USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/18 10:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No man... a loose wire will not kill an idle battery. It can make it not charge well when the engine is running and that will make it drain.

The best battery to jump a late model Duramax from is the passenger side one.
That’s it’s “primary” battery. Yes, they are both connected in parallel and it will work either way, but the passenger side has the most direct connection to the starter. The driver side battery goes through longer cables before it reaches the starter.
If you jump from that side there’s more resistance.

Like I said either side will work, the passenger side will work a little bit better. But not much. Not enough to stress over it if it’s inconvenient to reach the passenger side.

Another thing you can do is hook up two sets of jumper cables. That reduces the resistance and flows more current. It’ll start sooner that way.

99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.
This is how they should have built them!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/18 11:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is likely that newer vehicles will drain batteries over the course of say 6 months. Idk if it's the norm, but I've heard it before and experienced it with a fleet of brand new trucks that were parked for 6 months. A 30 year old truck and most of the 5-10 year old trucks starred as did most of the equipment with master switches. But the brand new trucks were all dead. They also recharged after being jump started so good chance the batteries in yours aren't destroyed.
The safe way and proper way is to recharge them completely though unles you plan on hopping in and driving it for hours straight.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul

cewillis

Tucson, az, usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/18 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

Pull the batteries out and charge them. If they will recharge, than put them back, if not get new batteries.

I would do this.

Cal

3 tons

CA.

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/18 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seek appropriate answer in owners manual ??

DWeikert

York, PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/18 12:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

No need to physically pull the battery (they're heavy suckers), simply disconnect the positive terminals then charge. I'd pull the positive that way you can still ground to the frame anywhere. As long as the second battery is still connected don't let the removed battery cable touch a ground.

I had a similar problem with mine over the winter. If the batteries are completely dead don't be surprised if you throw a couple engine codes. IIRC mine had an network error communicating with the TCM (transmission control module) and pre-heater alert. I just cleared the codes and they didn't come back.

Word of caution, the 12v sockets on the dash are hot even with the ignition off. Anything you leave plugged into there will be a 24/7 drain on the battery. Leaving a 12v to USB adapter and bluetooth module as well as a wireless ODBII reader plugged in is what killed mine. The other side of that is you can plug a solar battery tender into one of those sockets, lay the solar panel on the dash and keep the batteries topped off with that.

Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Battery boosting
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS