cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check your leaf spring shackles!

jamilbk
Explorer
Explorer
Just went through a pretty rough stretch of the Alaska highway northbound between Destruction Bay and Beaver Creek, YT.

Stopped for fuel, and found this:

I'm lucky the axle didn't rip off! Apparently it's a common problem up here. I suggest to anyone with a decently heavy trailer with OEM suspension -- upgrade your spring shackles! Or for that matter, upgrade your suspension in general! All it takes is one pot hole to break something and potentially cause a fatal accident.

Trailer specs:

Total weight: 13,000 lbs
Weight on axles: 11,500 lbs
Axles: Tandem Dexter 7,000 lb
Miles on trailer: ~ 20k

Larger picture of the trailer (yes, it's a "tiny house"):

Currently getting a new set of shackles installed in Beaver Creek, YT and have a Dexter EZ-Flex kit on order. Anyone have recommendations for a suspension shop in Fairbanks?
19 REPLIES 19

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I replaced a worn out torque style axle with a Dexter torque-flex axle on a fiberglass trailer about 15 years ago. The rubber bushing still move when I jump in the trailer. That said, the shop where I bought the axle said that the life expectancy is 10 years for the rubber parts. There is a company that makes axles with replaceable bushings.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
In reference to the rubber torsion suspension; the rubber deteriorates and they do wear out. Check the life of your particular unit, they do wear out.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I have the original torsion axles in my '71 Starcraft. With shock absorbers, also, it rides like a caboose back there.

Sprung axles are able to handle more severe roads and a sprung axle will absorb larger shock forces better. The torsion axles excel in a steady rate of deflection but that may result in added tire wear across some road surfaces. Sprung axles are typically used for higher weight trailers.

The shop hands in Fairbanks are going to love that big old tiny house. How high is that roof line? I'd bet anyone that works on it is going to be on the ground, outside.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
Nearly all horse trailers are now torsion axle. They give a much superior ride and this is much better for the horses legs. Set up properly there is zero issues as described above.
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
520 w solar-200ah Renogy Li-Epever MPPT

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:

Except that the torsion suspension offers no suspension travel. And if you aren’t perfectly level you will overload one of the axles. I had those axles on my first trailer and the trailer hit every bump with a jolt.no thanks!

Yes there is some suspension travel on torsion axles, but you are correct about loading one axle more than the other because there is no equalizer. I have a large snowmobile trailer with torsion axles, often there is daylight under a tire on an uneven surface. The other thing it that the frame takes the load at a single point on uneven surfaces and at two points normally, a leaf spring trailer spreads the load over a longer distance. A torsion axle trailer needs to be dead level to better balance the load between two axles. I do believe there is a benefit with an equalizer which allows the tires to step over a bump. I'm not really defending the leaf spring arrangement because they are mostly cheap junk and we have to pick our poison.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
jamilbk wrote:
MitchF150 wrote:
What are leaf springs?

Yes, I know this does not add to the post, but I've owned this TT for 16 years now and would not want to have anything else than the torsion suspension..

Mitch

I'm with you 100% On my next trailer I'm getting this installed:

Except that the torsion suspension offers no suspension travel. And if you aren’t perfectly level you will overload one of the axles. I had those axles on my first trailer and the trailer hit every bump with a jolt.no thanks!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since E-Z Flex has been mentioned in this shackle thread, I'll add a note. I installed Lippert Equa-Flex 5 years ago and hardly noticed a difference riding in the truck--I hope the trailer noticed a difference. Lippert advertises that their's is better than Dexter's (I doubt it.) Along with the MORryde wet bolt kit, we also had the MORryde SRE4000 rubberized equalizer installed. Again, wow, what a difference. From the rider in the truck perspective, it is hugely better.

jamilbk
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
This year my 2006 got all new shackles, equalizers, and wet bolts. Prevention is less expensive than a roadside break down.

Couldn't be more true. The only repair shop up here in a hundred miles charged $125 CAD for the repair... for two shackles (that aren't even the same length as the original) and a bolt!

I just ordered the EZ-Flex for $300 shipped to Fairbanks and will probably get a new set of springs as well. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

jamilbk
Explorer
Explorer
MitchF150 wrote:
What are leaf springs?

Yes, I know this does not add to the post, but I've owned this TT for 16 years now and would not want to have anything else than the torsion suspension..

Mitch

I'm with you 100% On my next trailer I'm getting this installed:

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
We just had the MORryde Wet Bolt kit installed. It may be the same as the Dexter wet bolt kit--looks the same. Wow does it look tough with the 1/2" thick shackle straps compared to thin straps. With the ability to grease I expect to go a long time before needing repair. And, those straps should be able to take our terrible roads here in Indiana.

My new slogan: "Tax cuts don't fix roads."

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
path1 wrote:
So if I'm a newbie...what should I look for or do? Should it be on my inspection list. Where would I get written guidance.
Any hints helpful.

Thank you

The bolt should be tight and there should be NO elongation of the holes. The head end of the bolt has straight knurling to prevent turning and that is a poor fit that becomes ineffective so wear begins. The pictured shackle shows a hole that wore till it broke out the end. Those bolts ride in a plastic bushing in the spring end and they fail quickly, but you can only guess the condition till it is disassembled.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced mine years ago. they were trashed just traveling around the Midwest. I went with Dexter EZ flex with the wetbolts. much stronger than the factory junk.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

path1
Explorer
Explorer
So if I'm a newbie...what should I look for or do? Should it be on my inspection list. Where would I get written guidance.
Any hints helpful.

Thank you
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
What are leaf springs?

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.