RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
This Australian importer wants to sell this in the US

41 REPLIES 41

talonhead
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I watched a special on tv a while back. The Aussie units are built heavier, have lighter interiors and a modern design. Personally, we like the lighter interiors- takes less light to see your way around, the smoother surfaces make it easier to clean. The Aussies want the darker wood to hide the red dirt that is everywhere!
2014 Ram 3500 Limited Mega Dually 4WD (True Blue Pearl) w/Alcoa's & paint match bumpers.

pyoung47
Explorer
Explorer
I'm actually surprised that more RV's are not built using white interior and cabinetry. My wife and I are old folks, and we kinda gravitate to the wood stuff. My daughter moved into a high dollar house a few years ago with beautiful new cherry cabinets in the kitchen and dining room. The first thing they did was hire someone to paint them. ( I know ) They are living in a very expensive (2 M) house now that has all white cabinetry. I think the camper has a very airy look to it. I think the wood vs. white preference is an old people preference. Most young people don't like dark cabinetry and interior.

For example, you don't see many homes with wood interior doors and trim nowadays -- mostly white. Probably cause it's cheaper -- but still wood is definitely out -- except campers.

Willcamp4
Explorer
Explorer
They are now available in the US. They run $80k to $210K US. You can check them out at http://spectrumrv.com/
Willcamp4
2012 Ford F-250 Super Duty, Crew Cab, Lariat, 6.7L PSTD, Air Lift rear suspension.
Alpenlite Valhalla Limited Fifth Wheel, two Solar panels, four six-volt batteries, two Honda EU2000i generators

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not a fan of the euro interior look.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
The awning appears to be on the roof, and Must be or built in to wall as max with is 2.5m in Australia. No ideas of its reach.
Frank.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Just at first glance the baggage doors and bonded windows are Lippert junk, as is the pleather furniture and the table and chairs. The lighting is the same $3 fixtures you get with any of them and the plumbing fixtures appear to be the same plastic garbage as all.

If you buy into RV marketing BS on websites and brochures that's your prerogative. As volatile as the RV Industry is going with a new manufacturer in this scenario might not be a great idea. At the slightest economic downturn at best you could find your manufacturer being acquired by Thor or Forest River, and at worst you could have an orphan on your hands. Just the fact they say they'll be building them in Elkhardt leaves me with a huge dose of skepticism. They did use a Moryde pin box as opposed to LCI but so do many others. Looks status quo here other than the aesthetics.

If the awning is fully extended in the picture what good is it? It hardly projects beyond the slide. Just about useless.

No the awning is not fully extended. As I said this was built in the US, what the quality is like is a good question. You are right to be fairly skeptical. I cannot see me any in Australia jumping up and down by it. It reminds me of some Australian designed but Chinese built Caravans, looked OK, but did not last long

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just at first glance the baggage doors and bonded windows are Lippert junk, as is the pleather furniture and the table and chairs. The lighting is the same $3 fixtures you get with any of them and the plumbing fixtures appear to be the same plastic garbage as all.

If you buy into RV marketing BS on websites and brochures that's your prerogative. As volatile as the RV Industry is going with a new manufacturer in this scenario might not be a great idea. At the slightest economic downturn at best you could find your manufacturer being acquired by Thor or Forest River, and at worst you could have an orphan on your hands. Just the fact they say they'll be building them in Elkhardt leaves me with a huge dose of skepticism. They did use a Moryde pin box as opposed to LCI but so do many others. Looks status quo here other than the aesthetics.

If the awning is fully extended in the picture what good is it? It hardly projects beyond the slide. Just about useless.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
A bit too laboratory white for me. The square lower box frame doesn't appear to be high end.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
How does the price compare to top end US fifth wheels? $130k is a lot but that's cheap compared to a lot of Class A motorhomes.

I think it looks pretty nice.

Yes it is a breath of fresh air, how it is going to be priced in the US is interesting

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:

Logically a brown interior would just as dirty and harder too clean. The gloss finishes make it very easy too clean, just wipe them with a cloth. Also makes the interior feel larger. White gloss interiors have replaced light wood and dark interiors, in all Australian RV's. Some parts get very dusty with a red talc like dust common

The difference is with a non-white interior, you can wait until the end of a trip and give it a wash down without really seeing the dust and dirt during the trip.

With the white interior, as soon as you arrive at your campsite, you are going to see the dust and dirt built up from the drive.

If you are a clean freak who wipes everything down twice a day, then white doesn't make a lot of difference but if you want to go camping and just do a clean up at the end, it's seems a bad option for the outback.

You have too keep them clean here, the dark interiors are not much fun to clean. Reason these interiors are very popular here.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Slownsy wrote:
Ok Robert I have gone to the manufacturer site, 1 they are prices op tp $250000 but do not say if US or Australian, I donโ€™t know if they iintended to supply to Australia but would assume so, they say heavy duty suspension and air brakes but no picks available. Also no specifications as to rear overhang, I am pretty sure this will be an issue on any of the 40โ€™ units, also claimed to be using totally new materials and construction so not proved for use or strength, built by the same workers that builds all the other brands. I also saw that they aprently build many of the more known brand names, so far pretty pics only.
Frank.

Frank it is built for Australia, they are also building for the US, in the US. See how it goes

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
Ok Robert I have gone to the manufacturer site, 1 they are prices op tp $250000 but do not say if US or Australian, I donโ€™t know if they iintended to supply to Australia but would assume so, they say heavy duty suspension and air brakes but no picks available. Also no specifications as to rear overhang, I am pretty sure this will be an issue on any of the 40โ€™ units, also claimed to be using totally new materials and construction so not proved for use or strength, built by the same workers that builds all the other brands. I also saw that they aprently build many of the more known brand names, so far pretty pics only.
Frank.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
How does the price compare to top end US fifth wheels? $130k is a lot but that's cheap compared to a lot of Class A motorhomes.

I think it looks pretty nice.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
RobertRyan wrote:

Logically a brown interior would just as dirty and harder too clean. The gloss finishes make it very easy too clean, just wipe them with a cloth. Also makes the interior feel larger. White gloss interiors have replaced light wood and dark interiors, in all Australian RV's. Some parts get very dusty with a red talc like dust common

The difference is with a non-white interior, you can wait until the end of a trip and give it a wash down without really seeing the dust and dirt during the trip.

With the white interior, as soon as you arrive at your campsite, you are going to see the dust and dirt built up from the drive.

If you are a clean freak who wipes everything down twice a day, then white doesn't make a lot of difference but if you want to go camping and just do a clean up at the end, it's seems a bad option for the outback.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV