Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: CB Radio
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> CB Radio

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
KO

Tampa, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/18 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am about to leave on a 4 day trip from Florida to Banff National Park and I have been getting RV ready for last 4 weeks. I used to full time in it but have been in brick house for last 2.5 years.

I have a CB in it, but it is dead as channels don't light up and weather channel no longer work.

Is it worth replacing with new CB? There are many who are saying CB is dead, but I found it worthwhile for weather and why traffic is stopped.
Just wondering if this group still uses CB.

Alfred622

Rochester, MN

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you've got all the wiring and antenna setup installed and working, then for the $40 at Walmart (for example) you can slide in a basic CB. Unless you're with a caravan you may not use it much. However, they are wonderful when you get into a traffic jam (just listen to the truckers). I have one on while driving (with an earpiece so as not to bother any passengers) and it helped a lot. I was driving in Idaho, narrow 2 lane road with lots of hills. Heard one trucker saying "Bad alligator in the road, someone is going to hit it when they come over the hill". I was near the top of a hill at the time and slowed way down. Just on the other side was a huge tire re-tread that was lying right in the middle of my lane. No way could I have avoided it at speed. Just then two trucks went by in the other lane...I thanked them for the warning. (Since it was safe, my son jumped out and pulled the tire retread to the side of the road)

Alfred
2005 Sightseer with Workhorse, ReadyBrute Elite towing 2003 Honda CRV
Map below shows states where we actually camped.....

HuckleberryHunter

Issaquah, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 08:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always enjoyed having one, mainly for additional information on what might be causing backups, but sometimes to listen to something other than radio. However, after we got the new TV, I never got around to installing one and can't say I'm motivated to put it in. Maybe in the future, but with cell phones, radio, etc, there are so many sources of information now.

2019 Outdoors RV 21DBS
2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Equalizer 4-point WDH

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First check for fuses blown.

Is it worth replacing?

Well back in 1976 When I made a trip from Battle Creek, MI to Flordia and back teh CB was very nice.. But as time passed it has started to fall out of favor..

Still.. Every once in a while it pays for itself..

Example.. I was returning home after a Christmas visit to my Family when I heard of an overturned SEMI up ahead. I started slowing down and when I got to the Black Ice had no problem stopping and sheltering the folks who had not been so warned till the deputy showed up to write up the report. (I had a Dodge Maxi Van that could seat 12)... Basically it paid for itself right there.

Later I'm in the Motor home and hear of two fatal accidents.. I have a chance to exit and relax.. I feel sorry for the guy behind me who did not .. That's hours of sitting in an overheating car v/s a parked air conditioned Motor home.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KO wrote:

I am about to leave on a 4 day trip from Florida to Banff National Park and I have been getting RV ready for last 4 weeks. I used to full time in it but have been in brick house for last 2.5 years.

I have a CB in it, but it is dead as channels don't light up and weather channel no longer work.

Is it worth replacing with new CB? There are many who are saying CB is dead, but I found it worthwhile for weather and why traffic is stopped.
Just wondering if this group still uses CB.

The question of "is it worth replacing my CB" is like the question " how long should a man's legs be, answer is, long enough to touch the ground". Everyone has to decide based on their OWN needs for additional info while RVing, not based on what other RV people's opinions.
For me, I have always used a CB with a good Wilson antenna.[emoticon]

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 11:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tampa to Banff in four days ?

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 11:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

have one on in my truck whenever it is moving. you no doubt will get a post/s from somebody who heard a naughty word on one 15 years ago. [emoticon]

bumpy

KO

Tampa, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/18 12:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP here that should read 45 days vice 4 days.

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 12:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do any of the CB handheld models come with a USB cable as their power supply? I have several 12VDC cigar lighter outlets already spoken for by other more critical hardware, but if one were powered by USB, I'd probably get one. I've got USB charging ports all over the Navion.
I have a 12VDC cigar lighter powered handheld CB unit, but I don't plug it in very often for the aforementioned reasons.
I like the CB background chatter. Very informative, and sometimes entertaining.

Mike.
2018 Navion 24V "Goldilocks" 2016 JKU "Red" (sold @ ???)
2016 Sunstar 26HE (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 12:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KO wrote:

OP here that should read 45 days vice 4 days.

OK
Now I’m a little envious.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> CB Radio
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS