Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Hitch Extender
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Hitch Extender

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

#1nobby wrote:

That certainly is cheaper. Although online in Canada they are not AS cheap....but still cheaper.

Here's my personal problem....if the truck was 4 years or older with higher mileage.....I would probably go with an aftermarket.

But my baby is only one year old and low mileage....so I feel the need to keep it whole.

I'm an idiot.

I totally agree about OEM and the one I listed was “OEM new” which Rockauto says is the same part as the assembly line. When I needed a taillight for a couple year old Yukon I was faced with a much larger difference in price. I ended up with aftermarket and it matched OEM 100 percent and even came with all of the bulbs and the wiring harness for a fraction of OEM. Worst case I was going to replace the other side if the appearance was off.

#1nobby

Barrie, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoundGuy wrote:

#1nobby wrote:

I'm not using a WD hitch. My trailer weighs 5000Lbs full and my truck self levels. I have 0 issues towing except for the space between truck and trailer.

Boy, I'd love to forego WD and just tow my 19' Coachmen off the ball but my '12 Silvy drops just too much when I drop 625 lbs of average gross tongue weight on it. That, and the GM hitch receiver is rated at 5000 lbs / 600 lbs weight carrying. So a question - although your truck "self levels" 13% of 5000 lbs average gross trailer weight is 650 lbs of average gross tongue weight - is your hitch receiver rated for this much? Just asking. [emoticon]

My Ram is good for 10140 lbs / 1100 tongue weight.
I think I'm good.

#1nobby

Barrie, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 01:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wnjj wrote:

#1nobby wrote:

That certainly is cheaper. Although online in Canada they are not AS cheap....but still cheaper.

Here's my personal problem....if the truck was 4 years or older with higher mileage.....I would probably go with an aftermarket.

But my baby is only one year old and low mileage....so I feel the need to keep it whole.

I'm an idiot.

I totally agree about OEM and the one I listed was “OEM new” which Rockauto says is the same part as the assembly line. When I needed a taillight for a couple year old Yukon I was faced with a much larger difference in price. I ended up with aftermarket and it matched OEM 100 percent and even came with all of the bulbs and the wiring harness for a fraction of OEM. Worst case I was going to replace the other side if the appearance was off.

I stand by my comment that I'm an idiot.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 01:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

#1nobby wrote:

Huntindog wrote:

#1nobby wrote:

I bought a 14" hitch extender today as I was in a tight spot a couple of weeks ago and almost took out a tail light[emoticon]

Turns out....the extender REDUCES tongue and tow weight by 50%.

Makes sense....but I didn't even consider those physics

So....back it goes.
You cannot use a hitch extender with WD.

You CAN get a longer drawbar, and if it is used with WD, your weights are not reduced.... This will cost more, but may solve your issue

I'm not using a WD hitch. My trailer weighs 5000Lbs full and my truck self levels. I have 0 issues towing except for the space between truck and trailer.
Never said anything about other issues. Just gave you a possible solution to the issue you were trying to address. I did say it was an expensive solution, though apparently not as much as the tail light you had to replace due to this issue.

IMO, the only thing to decide upon is how likely this is to happen again...

[emoticon]

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2011 Silverado CC DA big dually.

Takamine

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 01:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think my safety chains would reach if I used any long hitch than I have.

2016 Springdale 2600TB
2012 Ford F-150

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 02:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

#1nobby wrote:

I'm not using a WD hitch. My trailer weighs 5000Lbs full and my truck self levels.

SoundGuy wrote:

So a question - although your truck "self levels" 13% of 5000 lbs average gross trailer weight is 650 lbs of average gross tongue weight - is your hitch receiver rated for this much? Just asking. [emoticon]

#1nobby wrote:

I think I'm good.

That sounds more like a weight distribution rating, not a weight carrying rating. Your RAM's hitch receiver is WD rated that high? [emoticon]

#1nobby

Barrie, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 02:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Takamine wrote:

I don't think my safety chains would reach if I used any long hitch than I have.

That's a good point.

I don't think mine would either nor would the electrical cable.

#1nobby

Barrie, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 02:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoundGuy wrote:

#1nobby wrote:

I'm not using a WD hitch. My trailer weighs 5000Lbs full and my truck self levels.

SoundGuy wrote:

So a question - although your truck "self levels" 13% of 5000 lbs average gross trailer weight is 650 lbs of average gross tongue weight - is your hitch receiver rated for this much? Just asking. [emoticon]

#1nobby wrote:

I think I'm good.

That sounds more like a weight distribution rating, not a weight carrying rating. Your RAM's hitch receiver is WD rated that high? [emoticon]

My RAM has a ClassIV hitch.
Class IV hitches used as weight carrying are rated up to 10,000 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a maximum trailer tongue weight (TW) of 1000 lbs.

RTCastillo

Fontana, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 02:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoundGuy wrote:

#1nobby wrote:

Boy, I'd love to forego WD and just tow my 19' Coachmen off the ball but my '12 Silvy drops just too much when I drop 625 lbs of average gross tongue weight on it. That, and the GM hitch receiver is rated at 5000 lbs / 600 lbs weight carrying. So a question - although your truck "self levels" 13% of 5000 lbs average gross trailer weight is 650 lbs of average gross tongue weight - is your hitch receiver rated for this much? Just asking. [emoticon]

Never thought of using WD previously as I've posted here being within weight limits and tow truck and trailer reasonably level.

But now I won't go without one specially with the thought that my safety, my family's and others on the road is resting on just my balls (yes, two balls with the sway bar).

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 03:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

#1nobby wrote:

My RAM has a ClassIV hitch.
Class IV hitches used as weight carrying are rated up to 10,000 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a maximum trailer tongue weight (TW) of 1000 lbs.

Thanks, that explains it. My '12 Silvy has a stock GM Class III hitch which is rated at just 5000 lbs gross weight & 600 lbs tongue weight weight carrying. [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Hitch Extender
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS