Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Toilet blade seal leak
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Toilet blade seal leak

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
roaminaround

Bend, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 06:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm starting a new thread because this is model specific. I have a 12 year old Thetford Aqua Flush V. The bowl seal closes with a flat blade running across bottom of rubber seal. The blade seal stopped holding water so I bought a new seal. Old seal was a bit rough on the bottom so I figured that was the problem as it takes a couple hours to empty. I tried Vaseline and silicone and that didn't help the seal. Kit comes with new bottom floor seal as well. Good idea as the old floorseal came off in pieces. Easy job to replace blade seal but now it leaks faster than the old one. I'm wondering if I could disassemble and stretch the spring, buy a new blade on eBay for $16 or just buy a new toilet for $100. Any experience with this model?

2006 Nash 26X
2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost Max Trailer Tow Pkg.
2006 Fish Rite 18' Yamaha 115 and T8

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 06:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try plumbers grease first. Then go with a new toilet. Porceline toilets are way nucer than the plastic ones.

Don,Lorri,and Charlie Bear 2016
The Other Dallas

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/18 06:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from General RVing

Toolguy5

Columbia Station, Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/18 06:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would jus buy a new porcelain toilet. Hours spent as well as parts trying to get fixed. You maybe further a head.

That's just me.

Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess
2015 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2018 Jayco Northpoint 387 RDFS
B&W companion slider.
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

pyoung47

MO

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/18 06:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Toolguy5 wrote:

I would jus buy a new porcelain toilet. Hours spent as well as parts trying to get fixed. You maybe further a head.

That's just me.

I'm not sure if you are a former sailor or a victim of spell check.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/18 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is possible that there is some debris in the seal area. Thetford makes a tool to clean it. It is a bent screw driver looking thing.
I made one out a peice of wire coat hanger. Cut the coat hanger, bend one end at 90 degrees with about a one inch protrusion. Cut the coat hanger down so it is manageable. Insert the short portion into the groove of the seal. move it around inside the seal to insure there is no debris. Quite often a very small peice of debris will not allow the blade to seal properly.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/18 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would buy a new porcelain toilet - just double check to make sure you have enough room. When I considered the upgrade I was about 1/2" short.

Kevin

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/18 09:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I search "Aqua Flush V" I get "Aqua Magic V" - which is right?

We have an Aqua Magic IV, and on that one, the blade seal is as OP describes. It runs across the bottom of a Seal, not between two layers of a Seal like most other Thetford toilets. If the AM-V works like the AM-IV, then there's no groove in the Seal to be cleaned out. The AM-IV parts list shows this. The AM-V list does not, so I can't confirm Thetford used the same design.

AM-IV, now AM-V, is the cheapest of the cheap. Bottom of the line. I'm amazed that our 15-YOA one still works as well as it does. I can leave water in the bowl and it stays for at least several hours.

If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/18 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I replaced the broken Aqua Magic IV in our previous coach with a porcelain bowl Aqua Magic Style Plus. We liked the Style Plus so well that when our current coach came with another Aqua Magic IV, we swapped it with the Style Plus in the old coach before we sold it.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/18 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 22 year old Thetford Aqua Magic with that blade seal. As Bud said make a tool that you can insert into the seal groove to clean out any debris that gets caught there. I just did this yesterday for about the 3rd time over the years to clean out the groove. Just checked this morning and it is still holding water. Also the spring could get weak and not close all the way so you may need to help it up with your foot. Another problem I had was that hard scale built up on the under side of the blade from hard water and had to be scraped off and sanded to get a smooth surface for the rubber seal.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Toilet blade seal leak
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS