cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Toyota 4Runer

BoatingWilly
Explorer
Explorer
I have a "16" 4Runner and am wanting to safely tow aprox 4500lbs. Have any of you had experience towing with that combo? I have equalizers and sway control. Comments would be appreciated.
9 REPLIES 9

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
BoatingWilly wrote:
Thanks to all for the info and advice. I'm Taking the 4Runner to a hitch specialty dealer to determine what can be done to beef up my hitch. Safe travels all.

does your 4runner have the rest of the factory tow package?
pre-wiring for brake controller, trans cooler, tow gearing.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
BoatingWilly wrote:
[]Thanks to all for the info and advice. I'm Taking the 4Runner to a hitch specialty dealer to determine what can be done to beef up my hitch. Safe travels all.

I think if it were me I'd take bgum's suggestion that a Lexus hitch will solve your problem and ask your hitch shop whether they know about it. If you get a blank stare for an answer try another hitch shop.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

BoatingWilly
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for the info and advice. I'm Taking the 4Runner to a hitch specialty dealer to determine what can be done to beef up my hitch. Safe travels all.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
bgum wrote:
That is exactly the point. The oem hitch is not designed for weight distribution. A Lexus hitch will fit that vehicle and is designed for weight distribution. It involves the frame rails.

So it would seem the OP is doing, or planning to do, what he shouldn't do - use a weight distribution hitch with his 4Runner, his option being to replace it with a Lexus hitch that is designed to accept the use of what he calls his "equalizers". ๐Ÿ˜‰

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
That is exactly the point. The oem hitch is not designed for weight distribution. A Lexus hitch will fit that vehicle and is designed for weight distribution. It involves the frame rails.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
I see that max specified by Toyota is 5000#, the hitch is only good for 500# tho and that will be your problem. Equalizers and sway control have nothing to do with max carry capacity and trailer hitch max.

Only if the 4Runner can't use weight distribution but as a general statement that's not true at all ... the stock GM hitch on my own Silverado is rated at 600 / 5000 lbs weight carrying but 1100 / 10,500 lbs weight distribution. This applies to any manufacturer installed hitch designed to be used for weight carrying OR with weight distribution.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
bgum wrote:
Base 3852 max 4500 lbs Airstream 19 ft. Towed with 12 4Runner. Your hitch if oem is not designed for weight distribution if that is what you mean by equalizers. It is rates to tow 5000 lbs.

This is correct. I looked at 4Runners rather closely a while back. The hitch is not adequately connected to the frame to be used with a WD hitch. It's only a very short hitch bolted to a small rear portion of the frame.

Some of the 4Runners I looked at had only 4 pin connectors, and those were not properly wired, but came out under the bumper. Seriously. So double check that.

There is a lot of info about this if you google "4Runner towing" on several different forums about Toyota & 4Runner.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Base 3852 max 4500 lbs Airstream 19 ft. Towed with 12 4Runner. Your hitch if oem is not designed for weight distribution if that is what you mean by equalizers. It is rates to tow 5000 lbs.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I see that max specified by Toyota is 5000#, the hitch is only good for 500# tho and that will be your problem. Equalizers and sway control have nothing to do with max carry capacity and trailer hitch max.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper