cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What do I need for this trailer?

livemusic
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 1997 Mallard 24' travel trailer. GAWR all axles is 2695 lbs. Can anyone give me insight as to what size truck/specs I need? I see brake discs on the wheels of the dual axle trailer. Is a 3/4 ton 4wd truck enough? I would think a tow package is warranted, bigger mirrors.

I have a 2008 Nissan Titan 2wd. It'll pull it but I figure it's not enough for long-term.

I think I do want a crew cab like my Titan. New or used, I don't really care but if I could find something low mileage, I'd prefer used, as these new ones are crazy high.

Insight into what is needed would be great!
26 REPLIES 26

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You haven't said what the trailer weighs. I doubt only 2695# gross on BOTH axles, but icbw. Rough numbers, old 24' aluminum sided trailer, 5,000? Lbs loaded?
Titan will pull it no problem in the low alt flats of the SE.
Trans cooler, def needed IMO, suspension? depends what the truck looks like hitched up and if you're running a wdh.
The biggest thing I'd be concerned about is horsewhippin an old truck with a lot of miles with a significant load behind it. 100mi on backroad to the state park, easy drive, is way different than 10 hr day in 100deg heat and pulling 4-7% grades at the same time you're losing 50hp to altitude.
It's all about duty cycle, and how up to the task the truck is mechanically.

In general though, a 5.6 Nissan will pull that trailer.
3/4 ton is 100% NOT needed, but is 100% ok and useful and will do the job as good or better.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
livemusic wrote:
ib516 wrote:

You will need the following for towing:
- Brake controller
- Transmission cooler
- A properly adjusted (for height) weight distributing hitch...

Just for ballpark info, about how much does these above cost?

No trailer hitch came on this truck, was installed after market.

Just to be sure. Have a mechanic take a good look at your truck. A trans cooler is easy to spot. Follow the lines out of the radiator. they will either go to a cooler, or back to the transmission. If not. You can get one put on for around $150.00.

You can get a WDH for less than $400.00. And a GOOD brake controler will be in the $130.00 range. Not sure about having it wired. Never had to. All my TV were prewired.

And do take a good look at the receiver you had installed. Make sure it is a class III/IV. It has to be a IV to handle a WDH.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

fx2tom
Explorer
Explorer
Your truck should have the trans cooler already from the factory. When I bought my 2006 Titan the only difference was the actual factory hitch and the trans temp gauge. The trans cooler was there even if the hitch wasn't. Double check.

The dealer had a Nissan hitch put on my 2006, with the 7 pin, for about $300. The brake controller should be $100-$150 plus install cost.
2002 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3l 4x4 CCSB
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport M-26FBSP

livemusic
Explorer
Explorer
ib516 wrote:

- Brake controller
- Transmission cooler
- A properly adjusted (for height) weight distributing hitch...

Just for ballpark info, about how much does these above cost?

No trailer hitch came on this truck, was installed after market.

ib516
Explorer
Explorer
Your Titan will be fine for that load. A 24' TT isn't a big load, though the older ones like that are a bit heavier by the foot than new ones.

- Brake controller
- Transmission cooler
- A properly adjusted (for height) weight distributing hitch

You truck may already have the transmission cooler. You can check visually if you are mechanically skilled, or you can take your VIN to the dealer and ask them to check to see what your truck came with from the factory. I'm not sure if the "Tow Package" is standard or an option with Titans of that era. If it came with a hitch from the factory, chances are it has the trans cooler.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a link to towing guides - just scroll down to 2008 and in there search for Titan.

Good luck!

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

livemusic
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
livemusic wrote:
I don't think I have any sort of towing package. I had to add an after market hitch.

BTW, the comment saying why would anyone add disc brakes to a 1997 Mallard... why is that a question? (I don't know the answer, curious!) Are you inferring it should not be necessary?

well, without the factory tow package, you need to add a trans cooler, a 7-pin connector and a brake controller and its wiring.
so you'll have to do a lot of wiring, since a towing package already has that installed.

also, that 1997 Mallard came with drum brakes. why would someone spend that much money upgrading them to disc brakes, for that old of a trailer? are you sure they are disc brakes?

You guys are good. My apologies, you are right, it is drum brakes, not disc. The seller told me it was disc and I must've just glanced at it and not paid attention.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
livemusic wrote:
I don't think I have any sort of towing package. I had to add an after market hitch.

BTW, the comment saying why would anyone add disc brakes to a 1997 Mallard... why is that a question? (I don't know the answer, curious!) Are you inferring it should not be necessary?

well, without the factory tow package, you need to add a trans cooler, a 7-pin connector and a brake controller and its wiring.
so you'll have to do a lot of wiring, since a towing package already has that installed.

also, that 1997 Mallard came with drum brakes. why would someone spend that much money upgrading them to disc brakes, for that old of a trailer? are you sure they are disc brakes?
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

blt2ski
Truck should handle trailer. If you are like Mitch, family of two, probably not an issue.
DETAILS.....
Are you like I was....family of six, with 4 adult sized teens, total 1209-1300 lbs...two Alaskan Malamutes at 300+ lbs including crates. A rack and canoe, generator, bikes in bed....hitch weight of trailer. All said and done, loading 3000+ lbs into and on the suspension of you truck.....Nissan makes a good truck.....but not that good!
All of a sudden, you need a SW 35 series rig as I did. If I would have had a longer trailer with dual 5k axles, I would have needed a dually from a payload needed standpoint!
Hence why someone was commenting abouts details needed.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Most trailers do fine with drum brakes; discs on a TT are not all that common.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

livemusic
Explorer
Explorer

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
livemusic wrote:
I bought a 1997 Mallard 24' travel trailer. GAWR all axles is 2695 lbs. Can anyone give me insight as to what size truck/specs I need? I see brake discs on the wheels of the dual axle trailer. Is a 3/4 ton 4wd truck enough? I would think a tow package is warranted, bigger mirrors.

I have a 2008 Nissan Titan 2wd. It'll pull it but I figure it's not enough for long-term.

I think I do want a crew cab like my Titan. New or used, I don't really care but if I could find something low mileage, I'd prefer used, as these new ones are crazy high.

Insight into what is needed would be great!

You should have plenty of truck. IF you have the towing package. But I'm wondering WHY someone added disc brakes to a 1997 Mallard.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
If you max out your axle ratings and your tongue weight is 15% your total trailer weight will be 6,341#. I towed a 25 ft. trailer at 6,000# with my 2008.5 Titan and it did OK, plenty of power. I used a Reese SC hitch and never had any sway. It did squat about 3" in the rear with the trailer hooked up which I brought to within 1" with the hitch bars. I installed air bags which I ran at 40 psi to bring it level. I had to really wind it up to maintain speed on grades but it did it without complaint.

Like you, I felt like it wasn't going to last long. The brakes were suspect and the rear diff was the size of a soccer ball with an axle ratio under 3 if I recall. Mileage was pretty bad averaging a little over 9 for each trip. Mine was 4WD Pro4X and towing was real tough on the OEM tires as they were shot at 30k. I was a rookie and can't say if I was within the truck's numbers. I upgraded/downgraded to an older RAM.

punomatic
Explorer
Explorer
If the GAWR is 2695 per axle, you'll be fine with your Titan. I tow a 7000# GVWR
Trailer with my Titan. Have been all across the US. No problems except for the screw I picked up in one of the truck tires. Mine is 4WD, but I have never used the 4WD for towing. I suspect you will do even better than I do, since your Titan should have a bit more payload, being 2WD.
DW and Me
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
Formerly, I used to work for the department of redundancy department.

Life in Black and Blue