Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bringing wine to Canada

drenjoey
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Folks,

Next week, my wife and I we'll be on our way to Prince Edward Island for seven nights.

I checked to see how much wine we can bring and every online sites says 1.5 liter.
My question is: Is it 1.5 liter PER PERSON or is the limit 1.5 liter per vehicle

Thanks
Dre
10 REPLIES 10

KO
Explorer
Explorer
Duty tax varies on the Province you enter. British Columbia charges 140% per wine bottle, based on price and quality. Alberta charges about $4 - 5 dollars per bottle. Not sure about the other Provinces as we are dealing with just British Columbia and Alberta.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
garyhaupt wrote:
If you have an extra bottle..I bet they just do the CDN thing...'sorry for holding you up'...and you carry on. If you want to bring a bunch? You will pay the equivalent tax as would be applied in the store. Normally that costs far more than folks are willing to pay.

Gary Haupt

Donโ€™t forget though, if you pay the duty on 10 bottles on the way in but only drink 1 in Canada you can get a refund for the other 9 on the way back out.

I have friends who just love ice wine, they buy a years supply while theyโ€™re up here then apply for a refund for the survivors on their way back out of Canada.

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
When we return from the south I declare what's in the RV (left over quantities) and I'm never get charged extra or searched.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
If you have an extra bottle..I bet they just do the CDN thing...'sorry for holding you up'...and you carry on. If you want to bring a bunch? You will pay the equivalent tax as would be applied in the store. Normally that costs far more than folks are willing to pay.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

Orion
Explorer
Explorer
Yes , you can pay the duty, however on a boat once, we were asked if the alcohol was the 'usual bar for the boat' or something similar, and they let us through. I was on a 'boys boating trip' and we had lots of bottles.
It should be the same with an RV, unless you have cases of it!
Sometimes I sit and think deep thoughts. other times, I just sit!

armadillo_17
Explorer
Explorer
What about paying the duty on the extra wine? Or who this cause unwanted attention?
Jon in S/W Missouri
2007 Winnebago Class C
2012 Jeep Patriot (Manual Transmission)

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Flyboy320 wrote:
per person

Correct. We live on both sides of the border and cross two to three times per week. The Canadian Border Services website also clarifies the age for each person crossing alcohol. You donโ€™t get to claim for alcohol for young kids as some have tried in the past :B

Flyboy320
Explorer
Explorer
per person

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
1.5 l per vehicle.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Orion
Explorer
Explorer
It's per person over 19 years age.
Sometimes I sit and think deep thoughts. other times, I just sit!