Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Side aisle layout question?

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All,

I am in the midst of a bus conversion project and am chasing my tail trying to decide on my layout.

On my last bus I went pretty conventional with a center aisle layout. I started down the same road on this one. Then I saw some pictures of a "side aisle" layout. The galley was "L" shaped and the couch was athwartships directly in front of the short end of the "L".

The layout tickled me. I have been fooling with ideas and it just seems like I can't fit things with good flow and space efficiency.

Is it my imagination or is the side aisle inherently less space efficient?

Have you seen a nice side aisle layout an a particular make/model of coach that you could point out to me?

Any other thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

S.
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....
10 REPLIES 10

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
My first DP was a 1994 Beaver with a L shaped kitchen and L sofa backed up to each other. You went around on the passenger side that then had a L shaped booth. It was safer for the DW to be in the kitchen and gave seating that faced the windshield. It went back to a center isle for the bathroom areas and then a N/S bed.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Our first Class A was a Damon INtruder 37' 374. It had a tag axle and a side aisle. The bathroom was all together in one room. I really loved the layout. My dogs loved the hall with its windows very low. My handicapped dog could sit in the hall and look out the window. This is the closest I could find to the layout. Ours was only 2 slideouts, but the layout was about the same.

Intruder

DAle
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
PNW_Steve wrote:

I have a modest preference for separate rooms but don't don't understand why "they should not be in the same room".

Can you educate me?

X2. I would also like to know.

Wish mine at home were in separate rooms. I prefer my mh layout.
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
I'd be curious how the total weight would be distributed with a side isle. Would one side be a lot heavier than the other?
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
Mine are at home. Does being mobile make a difference??

JM2¢ ~~ YMMV

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
PNW_Steve wrote:

I have a modest preference for separate rooms but don't don't understand why "they should not be in the same room".

Can you educate me?

X2. I would also like to know.

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
TNGW1500SE wrote:
the toilet and shower should not be in the same room.

In my last bus the toilet and shower were in separate rooms.

In my current 5th wheel they are in the same room.

Can you educate me?
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Saw one I liked in a Freightliner based super-C. Think it was a Renegade, but not 100% sure on that.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
the toilet and shower should not be in the same room.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 1996 Fleetwood Southwind with a side isle. It may be slightly less space efficient but, we like it. It has a large (for a RV) bathroom.

I have seen pictures of the floor plan you described. If I was building something, that is the layout I would chose. It seems to separate and define the areas of the RV