Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Under 3500 lbs

D2Forever
Explorer
Explorer
Hello!
I’ve been posting in new to rving - think it might make more sense to post here. What do you tow under 3500 lbs? Our TV is an Explorer and were ok with that. There’s 4 of us. Me and hubby, daughter and son, so prefer 3 dinstinct beds. Would rather not make up a dinette or sofa as a bed. Looking at BH, hybrids and pop ups. What has worked for you?
30 REPLIES 30

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
xteacher wrote:
Check out the R-Pod 176T. A queen bed pops out the back, with bunks up front. The kitchen is on a small slide out, and there is a small dinette before climbing into the rear queen bed.

R-Pod 176T

Interesting layout, low weight. But, it is one of those where your toilet and shower are one thing. I know that was a deal breaker for my significant other. I'd be OK with it.

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
It appears you’ve got it!
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

tnrv_er
Explorer II
Explorer II
shelbyfv wrote:
D2Forever wrote:
@SoundGuy - do I pass my weight lesson???
:B

LOL!!!!!

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
D2Forever wrote:
:B

Explorer II
Explorer II
D2Forever wrote:
Oh, what is that guy doing now?
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

el_jefe1
Explorer
Explorer
This sounds pretty good to me. Our hybrid was a Jayco, never had a problem with it except the front bunk door seal failed after a few years. But that's a really common hybrid issue. Other than that, it was a rock solid trailer for us.
2018 Keystone Passport 3290bh
2007 Chevy Express 3500
Me, the Wife, and a whole bunch of kids

D2Forever
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, thank you all for your very valuable and helpful feedback. Joining this site, popupportal and hybrid Facebook page has been very helpful as I worked through this. After much deliberation we are leaning toward a 2013 Jayco X17z with UVW of 3050# and CCC of 450# for a total of 3500#. The explorer has GCWR of 9950, and Payload Capacity of 1558#, and a tow rating of 5000# and hitch weight of 500#. If you include the driver in calculating occupant weight, that is 500# (some say do, some say don't, so being conservative and including), and the hitch at 350#, that leaves 700# in the Explorer and 450# in the Jayco - more than enough wiggle room I believe as we would never load 1,150# of stuff. So all, did I do that right? WDH, 7 prong hitch, brake controller, ASB, etc. So @SoundGuy - do I pass my weight lesson???

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the R-Pod 176T. A queen bed pops out the back, with bunks up front. The kitchen is on a small slide out, and there is a small dinette before climbing into the rear queen bed.

R-Pod 176T
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

el_jefe1
Explorer
Explorer
Just to share our experience. We had a 3 bunk hybrid, 3600 lbs dry weight. Towed it with a GMC Safari, 5100 lb capacity with tow package. We did that for a few years when the kids were smaller and we managed just ok.
I definitely noticed the stress on the vehicle. It's amazing, you don't notice how much elevation change there is on the highways near home until you are pulling a trailer with an undersized tv:). Over those few years I found it harder and harder to maintain speed and climb those relatively small hills without really being hard on the van. Eventually I started to have issues with the van misfiring under stress, losing power on those hills.
And I really live in what I'd consider a flat part of the country, along the West Michigan Lakeshore area.

So yes, it can be done. Lots of us do it or have done it at one time or another, but that doesn't mean it is safe and recommendeded, and the stress definitely takes a toll. I'd say at least know that going in and plan your tv upgrade sooner than later.
2018 Keystone Passport 3290bh
2007 Chevy Express 3500
Me, the Wife, and a whole bunch of kids

Anniewhereugo
Explorer
Explorer
Kavoom wrote:
You are asking for a lot particularly with the beds. I tow a Dutchmen 1700BH. It almost meets your requirements. As far as pop ups go, I do not think you will be able to do it. Mine runs around 13K new. They make a more tricked out version called a Kodiak 174 that costs more. These have a sideways queen in front (can't walk around) and bunks in the back. The problem with my model is that the top bunk is pretty small. Otherwise it meets your requirements. you will likely need to look at the 8 foot wide units vs the 7 foot wide units. That will get you bigger bunks.

Your only hope "meeting all your requirements" would likely be a hybrid. The have the beds that pull out (tented ends, from the hardside part of the trailer. Jayco, Forest River and Starcraft make some. One example is the X20D JAY FEATHER but it is 4K dry as is the Rockwood Roo 183 from Forest River.

The only other thing you could do, as a compromise, is get rear bunks full size and have a "Murphy Bed" like version for the front bed. That would be Queen. Some of these are very easy to convert from a "Murphy" bed to a couch and look good also. You can even keep the bed covered ready to go for sleep. They are easy to convert. I can't find any of those but we looked at them before. Many brands have them.

So, based upon your "requirements" I'd say these are your choices per what I have discovered.

Just an info warning....not all Murphy beds can be put up with the bedding. The Forest River Mino Lights with the big bubble front end can be put up with out taking the sheest and blankets off, but the Keystone Passport and many more cannot. You have to unmake the bed each time and fold the mattress up before you push the bed pedestal and latch it. I didn't realize this till I got mine home and am still kicking myself into the next century. Doh

D2Forever
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you SoundGuy. I’ve got your message loud and clear! I’ve had some great ideas (like one vehicle for gear). I’m gathering information and appreciate yours as much as anyone else’s.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
D2Forever wrote:
We don’t live anywhere near the Rocky Mountains. We have young kids in school and full time jobs. This is for long weekends and likely less than 100 miles (in many cases 30). We are blessed with many great choices nearby. I will continue my homework ...

Just keep in mind the TV doesn't know or care how far you're towing, be it 10 miles or 1000 miles - if it's underrated for the trailer you want to tow it's underrated regardless. No question, towing along relatively flat terrain is certainly easier on the TV that mountain towing BUT only insofar as weight is concerned because significant wind resistance of any full height trailer will be the same regardless of where you're towing and will excessively stress any TV with limited towing capability. Homework is good but you've already been given several suggestions as to what will work for you and they all come down to about the same thing - a single axle TT about 20' long with an UVW not exceeding 3000 lbs, a GVWR 3500 lbs to 3800 lbs, and limited cargo capacity. Anything larger and you need a more appropriate TV.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

D2Forever
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your help and concern. This started as different posts with different questions. We haven’t purchased anything. There are folks towing this with an Explorer, how comfortable, who knows. We don’t live anywhere near the Rocky Mountains. We have young kids in school and full time jobs. This is for long weekends and likely less than 100 miles (in many cases 30). We are blessed with many great choices nearby. I will continue my homework ( as I understand it, the purpose of this forum).

Explorer II
Explorer II
Sportsmen 181BH
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857