cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

395 CA last week of Sept

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at somewhere to go during the last week of Sept. Leaving Eugene Or Sept 23rd and thinking about taking a week to cruise down 395 in CA.
Have another week to head home. Not sure about the return trip yet.
Just wondering if the weather will be decent. Gut feeling is that this summer may well stretch into Oct. Of course things can change.

MOD'S EDIT: CHANGED TOPIC TITLE FROM 385 TO 395.
12 REPLIES 12

Cider
Explorer
Explorer
I was just down 395 thru Susanville a few weeks ago. Lotos of road construction south of Susanville. The new bypass around Reno saves time heading south. Lots of options along 395 from Lee Vining south based on what type of camping you may want to do with many NF CG's, lots of private ones and other places where you can make your own. We will be coming back up 395 late next month from a trip where we will be cutting across Monitor Pass coming from Colorado. Good time of the year to be in the Sierras, but it hads a good chance of still being real smoky, as it is in central Oregon right now.
2017 Tiffin Allegro RED 33 AA
2020 JLUR
Roadmaster Baseplate
Sterling AT Tow Bar
Demco Air Force One Brake System

Finally_Time
Explorer
Explorer
A fun stop in Lone Pine is the movie museum, dedicated to all the B movies shot in the adjacent Alabama Hills. The drive through the "hills" area looks so familiar one expects to see Hopalong Cassidy galloping around the rocks chased by the giant worms from Tremors. Enjoy the trip.
'17 Tiffin Breeze 31BR, '13 Honda CR-V
Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar & Brake System

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
We do some hiking. Not all day stuff.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
go ducks, let us know if you are a hiker -- there are easily 30 great hikes in that general area.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
bighatnohorse wrote:
I went that route last year at almost the exact same time. It's very nice. June Lake was freezing at night - nice during the day.
If you can, stop at Manzanar - the Japanese internment (prison) camp used during WWII - its a truly unique museum unlike any other in the United States.

Looking like there's plenty to do on the route. May take a few more days. 🙂

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
I went that route last year at almost the exact same time. It's very nice. June Lake was freezing at night - nice during the day.
If you can, stop at Manzanar - the Japanese internment (prison) camp used during WWII - its a truly unique museum unlike any other in the United States.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replys. Sounds like the right time to go.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
California’s part of U.S. Hwy. 395 in Septmber will be fabulous.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
From Susanville South, it will be cool to t-shirt and shorts weather during the days and cool to very cold at night.

Wild horses will probably headed to warmer climes but the lakes will be in the first stages of the aspens turning gold. Bodie should be open and worth the drive.

MMSA should still be doing the mountain bike thing.

The Bristle Cone Forest site should still be open, oldest living trees in the world.

Nice time to go there.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
You are good and students are back to school. Lot's of public, cheap but clean, campsites in the area.

Cheap gas, however, is only available in Bishop and in Nevada side.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
The picture in my signature, below, was taken on 395 in the Eastern Sierra in late September. Go!

The only downside is that there is currently some smoke in the area, but in six weeks, I hope it will be gone.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Y-Guy
I can't speak from experince, but looking at this site says you should be a whole lot more comfortable that time of year.

Winnemucca usclimatedata.com

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon