cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane smell??

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
Have our TT parked in the back of the house, haven't used it for about 4 months. Walked by it before and smelled propane by the hot water heater in the rear of the TT. Opened the door on it and odor got a little stronger. Shut off the gas at the tank but its getting dark so I can't see much now.
Any idea what could have started leaking after all these months not in use? Any ideas what to look for???
Thanks for any suggestions.
10 REPLIES 10

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Recently went through that with my water heater. Turned out to be the gas valve in the big part of the water heater where the gas line goes into. If I shut the LP gas valve off, no smell. If I turned it back on, the gas smell came back. Just something to look for?

Edited by Barb

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
Dead mouse?
LP is made to smell like dead flesh.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Valves are made to withstand high pressure. It's possible your propane tank is nearing empty, thus not as much pressure. With the pressure relieved on the valves, it's possible it could start leaking.

Even a check valve made for water, if the water pressure is relieved, the valve relaxes. The potential for water to flow backwards is there as check valves rely on sudden and continuous back pressure to work.

It's possible you propane tank is just getting low. And since the camper has been sitting in one spot for a while, the smell just accumulated.

Try switching tanks, wait a couple hours and see if the smell is still there.

At least you'd know this way and can eliminate one potential cause. If it still smells after switching or filling the tank, then move to the next step (whatever that may be).

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
I never turn mine off unless required for a bridge or tunnel. When I exercise the coach and generator I always light the stove and fridge to keep fresh gas in their lines. I find it easier than letting them sit for months then purging the air. But that's just my method.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
MitchF150 wrote:
No idea, but why would you leave your tanks open for 4 months? I know my lines need to be purged of "air" after only about 2-3 weeks with the tanks off.

I turn off my bbq tank after every use too.

Dunno, but that's just what I do. No idea if it makes any difference at all??

Good luck!

Mitch

To tell u the truth I thought they were off, but after smelling the propane I found that one was on. Must have thought I turned it off but I screwed up. :S

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Part of ANY BOTTLED GAS MAINTENANCE...

Is to fill a spray bottle with a good blob of dish soap and water then begin a meticulous end to end test of LPG line connections and components.

"Tiny Bubbles......"

Twist knobs and valve stems...

Particular attention to storage bottles and switchover valves, hot water heater, stove, furnace. Every inch of non metal hoses, but especially at threads and where hose meets metal.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have had a valve leak (older one) and replace it. Well- the new one was defective from the factory and also leaked. Fill a spray bottle with soapy water and spray all connections watching for little bubbles from the leak.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
No idea, but why would you leave your tanks open for 4 months? I know my lines need to be purged of "air" after only about 2-3 weeks with the tanks off.

I turn off my bbq tank after every use too.

Dunno, but that's just what I do. No idea if it makes any difference at all??

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
Jim@HiTek wrote:
Just one question here, are you sure it's not hydrogen sulfide from the batteries? Those can generate a smell that's very similar to propane. Propane devices are usually pretty much leak proof for many years. I know many TTs have the batteries up front, but you never know...

Thanks for the response, but yes my battery is up front about 28 ft away. I would say differently from the hot water heater. I could faintly smell it as I walked by it but when I opened the cover of the water heater you could get a good whiff of it...

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Just one question here, are you sure it's not hydrogen sulfide from the batteries? Those can generate a smell that's very similar to propane. Propane devices are usually pretty much leak proof for many years. I know many TTs have the batteries up front, but you never know...
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.