cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Should I try different antibiotic while waiting for vet apt?

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Background:

I'm at my S&B, and I have acquired a stray cat. He is a young, unneutered male.

When he arrived a couple weeks ago he had two, possibly three abscesses, one open. I started him on 62.5mg amoxicillin twice a day, and topical Neosporin twice a day after soaking open the scabbed abscess.

I also gave him flea and worm meds. Despite his health issues and lack of food, he had a lot of energy, and continues to. I haven't weighed him but I'd say he's gained about a pound in the last couple weeks. He's a very friendly and nice cat.

The abscess that was open is now healed over. The one known unopened abscess has shrunk from an original 2x3 inches to a bit less than an inch. The place that may or may not be an abscess is looking good too.

I decided since I seem to be keeping this cat I should take him in for a general exam, feline leukemia test, etc. I had also hoped to get the vet to look at the not completely healed abscess. But the soonest appointment I could get with my favorite vet is Wednesday.

In the meantime, I would like some advice on what to do.

I have some expired doxycycline and cefuroxime. The exact expiration dates are unknown, because the pharmacy where I got them just dates things one year from the prescription date. They were prescribed 3 years ago and dated for expiration 2 years ago. Presumably that means that the real expiration date was sometime more recent, but I don't know when. I have kept them cool and dry, but not refrigerated.

Options, as I see them:

1. Try one of the expired antibiotics.

2. Stick with the amoxicillin.

3. Give the amoxi AND a new one.

4. Call the vet on Monday and say that I want to see the new vet in the practice, who I haven't met, in order to get the kitty in a day or two sooner.

5. Take him to the emergency vet this weekend. (I really don't feel there is any emergency as he is not sick from the abscess and it is shrinking.)

I didn't ask my vet's office for advice, because I know from experience that they will not give advice on a cat they have not seen yet.

If any of you folks have thoughts, I would love to hear them!
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.
8 REPLIES 8

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, Doug!
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

dturm
Stay with the amoxicillin and don't worry about getting an earlier appt AS LONG AS things don't get worse. It sounds like you've made great progress thus far. That smaller abscess may still need to be treated with a drain/flush procedure but that's a decision your vet will make.

There is no hard and fast rule about max length of treatment with amoxi.

Doug, DVM
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

medic868
Explorer
Explorer
Just a note;
Antibiotics are not all the same and the type prescribed are for a particular bacteria, or family of bacteria.
Mixing them is not a good idea. Some don't mix well with others and if not for the right bacteria can either not work at all or cause more health issues.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Naio,

The problem is that some bacteria may "lodge" in scar tissue. Since scar tissue is not well supplied with blood the antibiotic survives in spite of the treatment.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, folks!

I guess I had it in my head that it wasn't good to give the same antibiotic for more than 2 weeks. I'm not sure why that would be, though. Maybe because the germs adapt and it stops working? Maybe because it causes digestive problems?

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not a vet, but if it were me, I'd continue with the antibiotic you are using and don't mix them. He's responding and giving another may cause a reaction. "If it works . . .", then call back and ask to see the newer vet so you can get in sooner. From our experience and our vet office, the newer ones have to confer with the senior vet, so you're going to get great care.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I think I'd just stay with the treatment that appears to be working. Be sure to let the Vet know.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
OP came back to add:

I'm aware that, at this point, oral antibiotics might not completely get rid of the unopened abscess, and it might need to be opened up and flushed out. I'm thinking more in terms of keeping it in check, so it doesn't get big again before the appointment.