cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Utah to Colorado

LOFAT36
Explorer
Explorer
Want to head east out of Utah to Buena Vista, Colorado in our TT. Independence Pass or Monarch Pass ? Any suggestions ?
11 REPLIES 11

Fish_mojo
Explorer
Explorer
How about Mosquito Pass???? :W

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just for an FYI we just went Wolf creek last week (160 highway) and this week Cumbres pass (17 highway) and Cumbres is a piece of cake compared the Wolf Creek. Wolf creek also had repair work being down on runaway ramps.

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Try getting the mountain directory West ap. It has a bunch of real good info on many of the passes, especially on the popular roads.

LOFAT36
Explorer
Explorer
Going to Buena Vista to see friends,then off to Yuma for the winter. Coming from BC in Canada.

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Where are you planning to be while in UT? If Moab and anywhere closer to I-70, east on I-70 and you can choose either to head south at the Minturn Jct (24) or you can stay on I-70 and go up, over Vail Pass and at Copper Ski Resort. head south on 91. Either 24 or 91 back to 24 south will get you to Buena Vista. All of it is going to be a pretty scenic drive.

If you choose to get to Montrose and head east on 50, that is also a great drive, especially in the Blue Mesa Reservoir area. Don't forget to consider seeing the Black Canyon of the Gunninson N.P. if on Hwy 50.

As already mentioned, Monarch Pass is not that big of a deal and neither are the other passes if you choose the first paragraph routing I've mentioned. It really comes down to what area you are coming from and what your desires are to see.
I love me some land yachting

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
70 to 24 down through Leadville is not a bad drive with a trailer either.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yeah no go on Independence. Itโ€™s a sweet drive though without a trailer.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

LOFAT36
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. Monarch it is.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Independence Pass has size restrictions. If you are over the limit, there is a very hefty fine.

It is not for the faint of heart.

H E R E - CDOT is more information, direct from CDOT. If you're more than 35 feet total (trailer and tow vehicle), you're prohibited.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

gwalter
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would pick Monarch Pass as we are driving over it tomorrow. It is not a hard one by CO standards.
2010 Ram 3500 Laramie
2021 Bighorn 3120 RK
B & W Companion Hitch
Air Bags

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
LOFAT36 wrote:
Want to head east out of Utah to Buena Vista, Colorado in our TT. Independence Pass or Monarch Pass ? Any suggestions ?

Post here for faster response: Roads and routes
Bob