cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ignition just clicking

Wehren
Explorer
Explorer
Have a 1999 Monaco Windsor. Worked just fine then now ignition just clicks. Had lights, now no lights. Any suggestions? Does anyone have a diagram of the fuse box under the driver's side? Boy, I could use some ideas. Jim
14 REPLIES 14

railtrailers
Explorer
Explorer
I do not know what chassis your motorhome is on. If it is a Ford, we had the starter energize relay mounted near the radiator go bad. It would click solidly, but not pass the juice. After perhaps a dozen cycles, it made contact and the engine (a 460) cranked right up. Once home, I replaced the failing relay and had no further trouble with it.

Branson_N_Tucso
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just for future reference, when you remove the top of fuse box, look on the inside usually tells you what the location of the fuses are for.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
once I had a car that just clicked. turns out the battery was OK but the wire going to the starter had so much corrosion under the insulation it stopped the flow of current to the starter. put a new cable on and every thing worked great after that

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Suspect list starts with the dead battery as someone said UP thread. See note below

Bad connection. On my Damon since they hooked 3 leads to the battery positive they used crimp on ring terminals instead of a proper battery terminal. the ring terminals are made of a different metal. Does not react much with copper but reacts like blazes to lead and acid.. Lead is less reactive to the acid so they had to be cleaned of rust and polished every couple years. Finally I visited a battery store and made an electrical "Edit" now the battery connection is a proper lead battery terminal and no more corrosion.

The battery ground.

THe famous "other" but odds on Other are ... low. very low..

The promised note:

My RV is a 2005. it has a B.i.R.D. (Bidirecitonal Isolater Relay Device) so if I'm plugged in .. as I am now. the Chassis battery is charged by the big PD-9180+wizard in the back of the rig.. (they put it a long. LONG way from the batteries) just as the house batteries are.. (and when going down the road the house is charged by the engine alternator.. ..Just like the chassis battery)

1999.. You might have had a one-way Isolator. Do not know
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

atsrmf
Explorer
Explorer
Mine are all new, a bad connection isn't the problem, but with many others it could be. It seems most batteries aren't made with quality and durability in mind. I should just buy Interstate and be done with it. At least I'll get free replacements which might last another year.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure your battery terminals are clean and tight.

atsrmf
Explorer
Explorer
Battery age doesn't matter. Both batteries in my motorhome are less than a year old and are junk.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
When we started to leave our last campground ours wouldn't even click. Even the radio was dead and the door locks would not work. Hooked up the battery charger that I always carry, for about 20 minutes, and it started right up. Battery is about 2 years old.
Going into the dealer tomorrow.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Wehren wrote:
voltage reads 12 V

12V is a DEAD battery.
Fully charged should read approx 13.5VDC
Take the battery out, connect it to a stand alone battery charger, charge for 24 hours, and take it to a battery store and have it load tested.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would try ground connection on battery, which would also contribute to a dead battery

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
You don't have a fuse problem if you hear clicking when you turn the ignition. The clicking means that you are just not getting enough current/amps to the starter to get it to operate. The headlights draw quite a bit of current as well which is why they are not working.
If the BOOST switch won't allow the starter to operate, start by checking ALL of your battery connections. You may also have had a single cell go bad, which will drag down the output current to the point where it will not power the starter. A bad cell will sometimes show up in a much lower voltage reading.
When using the BOOST switch remember you have to hold it down while you turn the ignition key.

Wehren
Explorer
Explorer
voltage reads 12 V

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
You should have a boost switch on the dash. What happens after holding it down for 30 seconds and then try starting? Your headlights make a good meter...what happens to them when you try and start? If they go out you have a battery/connection problem.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Sounds like the battery is dead. Can you test the voltage?