Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Trying to understand - inverter?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Trying to understand - inverter?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/18 09:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Make sure you turn it off and flip those switches off in storage or the battery will be dead in two days or less.

Basically while in use you just turn it all on, plug in at the destination and all is automatic.

Off-grid camping for more than a quick overnight stay will be a bit more effort.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

theczar

Southern CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/27/18 05:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine has as others have noted, a passthru for the 120V. The Fridge is plugged in to the inverter. There is a 120V feed into the inverter, when on shorepower that powers the Fridge regardless if the inverter is on. When 120v removed the switch determines if inverting or not.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/18 07:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a device called an Automatic Transfer Switch. Depending on your inverter it may be built in or it may be an independent box.

When you have shore power it "Switches over" to shore.

My old inverter.. had 2 off switches. ONE of them was on the inverter itself and if you turned it off. it was OFF. and I mean OFF no power passed that box.

Turn it on and you had a remote switch that "Disabled" the inverter (or charger module different switch) if that was OFF shore power lost things no longer worked. ON they ran off battery.

My NEW inverter has an on/off button. if you do not have shore power you can turn the inverter on and off with the button. IF you do have shore power the inverter turns itself on and if shore power is lost UPS mode it turns on and I mean faster than you can blink.

I still have one problem with the new inverter though. Will figure it out later.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Trying to understand - inverter?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS