cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My camping season crashed

Dreenn
Explorer
Explorer
Well I wanted to share with you my camping season (or lack there of). Our second trip of the season our trip what in an accident and totaled our we didn’t even get to our campsite was like 15 minutes away and sadly I chose not to have insurance on it. It was a cheaper camper an 06 I believe I didn’t pay much for it but I wanted to share this so maybe you don’t make the mistake I made.

It happened on a farm road behind an 18 wheeler who had 4 ways on yellow blinking lights and a turn signal . The guy pulled off to the side of the road and came to a complete stop. I thought he was letting me pass him to get up a steep hill as big trucks tend to take those hills slow i have had them pull off and let me around murmurous times well as I went to pass him he started to make his turn into a farm field no road he was just turning into a farm field to fill the tractors back up . I saw him turning I hit the gas and just barely got the truck ahead of him as he plowed through my tt. Here are some pics

Moral of the story is if you don’t know 100% what someone is doing hang back or get out it was truest heartbreaking to hear my kids on the way home telling me that there camping trips are over.

But every bad story has a good ending right we purchased a used 2018 tt way nicer then anything we have haf

24 REPLIES 24

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Downwindtracker2 wrote:
Mallard, I didn't know they made them any more. The Fleetwood factory that made them in Le Grande Oregon is now OutdoorRV.

A lot of the Fleetwood names have been bought up by other companies. Prowler is another one I have seen recently, no relation to the Fleetwood Prowlers.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Dreenn
Explorer
Explorer
My mallard is made by heartland now I don’t think it’s the same company that made to original mallards

Downwindtracke1
Explorer
Explorer
Mallard, I didn't know they made them any more. The Fleetwood factory that made them in Le Grande Oregon is now OutdoorRV.

I changed the furnace in my hunting camper and needed a small siding patch, so I went over to Fraserway headquarters, Fraserway is the largest RV dealer in Canada, they own Adventurer and Eagle Cap campers/motorhomes and a large rental fleet. They nicely said they didn't have a metal shop anymore, they order in! So, yes getting siding might not have been as easy one would expect.
Adventure before dementia

Community Alumni
Not applicable
shelbyfv wrote:
People in Texas used to routinely pull over and drive along on the shoulder. I think the intentions were good but it always seemed to be confusion waiting to happen. One of those interesting local customs we can observe while traveling the country!

This happens all over the country, especially on 2 lanes. Just pay attention to the signals. If the vehicle pulls over with a right signal, 4 ways, or you're waved on then you're probably safe to pass. A left signal or no signal, you're better off exercising a good amount of caution.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dreenn wrote:
Thanks everyone and to answer a few questions yes I am fully insured now I pick it up on wendsday and we are going to get 1 trip in before summer hits as for who was at fault the officer at the scene wrote it up as I was at fault for passing in a no passing zone (even though he was pulled off to the side of the road) the at fault could have really went eathier way I had to use my insurance to fix the truck as my camper cause $32,000 worth of damage to that rig

To late now but, if he was stopped on the shoulder I would have fought the ticket in court.

Of course, that is a hassle. Which is why most people don't fight them and it makes it more likely for police to write up questionable tickets.

Oh well, it's all over with now.

Enjoy your new camper !!!

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
shelbyfv wrote:
People in Texas used to routinely pull over and drive along on the shoulder. I think the intentions were good but it always seemed to be confusion waiting to happen. One of those interesting local customs we can observe while traveling the country!

Probably the same people who go on the shoulder a lot, especially when turning corners too tight, and pick up a nail or other debris. Then they let the tire go flat, and drive another 20 miles until it grenades and tears out the wheelwell. Then they blame ST or Chinese ST tires.:S
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Dreenn
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Anyone else see this thread as delusional?
Posted yesterday, like it just happened, but it's fall, pics are not fall pics and last post "one trip before summer hits". ITS FALL. Winter is next....
Presuming it happened last spring based on my CSI rvnet mad skills....
You got a ticket and insurance bill for a semi pulling out in front of you after it stopped on the side of the road?
Not likely unless your story isn't what really happened.
Maybe time to hang up the keys and keyboard?

Not delusional at all the accident happened in the spring I just bought the new trailer in the fall and as for the one trip before summer hit that should have said winter you got me there and as for the trucker he pulled off to the side of the road to make a wide turn into a field why he came to a stop is beyond me my ticket was for passing and a no passing zone so stop telling people they are delusional just because what you think is truth even though your not in that situation

Now to all the friendly people thank you and my last camping trip got canceled due to rain. The new tt will be awesome in the spring though just got it winterized and I have to get it back to the dealer for a leaky window leaking rain in good thing for warranty’s right

lfcjasp
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Well, it's good to know that when folks end up with lemons, they still know how to make lemonaid out of them!

Nice NEW camper! Now that's LEMONAID!

X2! Enjoy!!

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Anyone else see this thread as delusional?
Posted yesterday, like it just happened, but it's fall, pics are not fall pics and last post "one trip before summer hits". ITS FALL. Winter is next....
Presuming it happened last spring based on my CSI rvnet mad skills....
You got a ticket and insurance bill for a semi pulling out in front of you after it stopped on the side of the road?
Not likely unless your story isn't what really happened.
Maybe time to hang up the keys and keyboard?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Dreenn
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone and to answer a few questions yes I am fully insured now I pick it up on wendsday and we are going to get 1 trip in before summer hits as for who was at fault the officer at the scene wrote it up as I was at fault for passing in a no passing zone (even though he was pulled off to the side of the road) the at fault could have really went eathier way I had to use my insurance to fix the truck as my camper cause $32,000 worth of damage to that rig

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Well, it's good to know that when folks end up with lemons, they still know how to make lemonaid out of them!

Nice NEW camper! Now that's LEMONAID!

X2! Good looking rig! Now hitch up and go camping!
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

FeatherFam
Explorer
Explorer
So glad everyone is okay. This kids gotta camp! :B

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Dreenn wrote:
Our second trip of the season our trip what in an accident and totaled our we didn’t even get to our campsite was like 15 minutes away and sadly I chose not to have insurance on it.

I saw him turning I hit the gas and just barely got the truck ahead of him as he plowed through my tt.

But every bad story has a good ending right we purchased a used 2018 tt way nicer then anything we have haf

I never fully insure any vehicle worth less than $5000, reasoning even total loss 'though it may be annoying won't make any difference in our overall financial picture, but anything more than that, sure - fully insured. Presumably you've now fully insured your NTU 2018? :@

Congrats! :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380