cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chevy chassis warranty issues?

cgarb
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought a new Forest River Sunseeker MH on a Chevy chassis and had to take it in to a dealer to have a couple of electrical issues (passenger side window won't come back up about 2/3 of the time and the dome light won't come on when the doors are opened) taken care of.

Turns out none of the Chevy dealers anywhere near us will work on MHs anymore, even though the folks at the national Chevy phone number researched and sent us to 2 of them. In fact, we can't find anyone around who will work on it. One dealership finally, very reluctantly, agreed to look at it, but only after saying the issues might not be covered by warranty due to possible "third party tampering" with the system meaning the MH manufacturer.

Has anyone else run into this type of problem and if so, where do you take your rigs for warranty work? It was quite frustrating to stand at the dealership, where we had an appt., for a couple of hours while calls were made all over the place trying to find someone else to do the warranty work, with no luck!

NOTE: Did you see the "Announcement : ★★READ BEFORE POSTING HERE★★" located at the top of this forum?
    "Forum Posting Help and Support is reserved for questions on how to post in the forums, signature and photo testing, reporting website or member account issues. Please avoid using Forum Posting Help and Support for RV related questions, as doing so can delay responses to your thread. Instead, create future threads in the RV FORUM which corresponds to the subject of your topic. Thank-you!"
8 REPLIES 8

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
Same issue with our 4500 Express chassis. We have about a dozen Chevy dealers in town and the nearest one to us that will work on an RV is 108 miles away.
Oh, and the "commercial, med duty, cab forward" service folks are a joke! They can't tell your for sure who can service an RV.
The dealer that does all of my commercial fleet service explained that ins is the reason they stopped servicing RV's... so you have that issue along with facility limitations.

Good luck,
Gary

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
:B
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Very true, IAMICHABOD! Thanks for the clarification.
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
BruceMc wrote:

Al ItsyRV stated, you can locate a commercial dealer here: https://www.gmfleet.com/locate-a-dealer.html
While they don't show the Safari/Savanna 3500/4500, select "Silverado 45/55/6500HD Sales & Service", which will fit the bill.

I would also put in Low Cab Forward Sales & Service these are usually Box Vans,about the same configuration as a RV,the dealer I use does them and has the facilities for them and RVs.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
We live in a smaller community of around 30K, so the dealer is fairly small. I took our 2016 2250 Sunseeker in for the recall on the drivers side window switch, and they balked at the fact it was a motorhome.
I stated it is an issue with the GM chassis, and that it can be done in the parking lot - it does not need to be put on a lift! They accepted that, and ordered the replacement. When I dropped it off to have the work done, some of the workers were wondering how they were going to work on the unit... per the fella that picked me up at home when the work was done.

I've had the same issue with Ford when the front calipers seized on our 2000 Four Winds. They finally decided to do the job when I threatened to take it to the CHEVY dealer just down the road.... In that case, they pulled the nose into a bay, then jacked it up with floor jacks. $500 & two new calipers, rotors and pads later, we were rolling down the road.

Al ItsyRV stated, you can locate a commercial dealer here: https://www.gmfleet.com/locate-a-dealer.html
While they don't show the Safari/Savanna 3500/4500, select "Silverado 45/55/6500HD Sales & Service", which will fit the bill.
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you are contacting the "Commercial" vehicle call center and not the general Chevrolet Owners Center.

You an also go to Chevrolet's commercial vehicle's website and use the "locate a dealer" to find a commercial dealer near you. Ask if they can service cutaways or cab forwards. If they say yes, tell them its a motorhome just to be safe.

Commercial dealers have the capacity to service high and long profile vehicles and not just cars, SUVs or pickups.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

eubank
Explorer
Explorer
It took me a while to locate a shop here in ABQ that works on chassis issues on our moho (P30 chassis). One problem was that most places did not have room in the shop for a moho, or they didn't have a lift for one. BUt I did find one after much searching and calling.

So do lots of online searching and do lots of calling around.

๐Ÿ˜ž

Lynn