cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cheapest parts ever

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Our coach broke a ride hight control rod, We noticed it when the coach was riding way too low.
I found a big parking lot, then ran the rear jacks down to raise the coach, that's when I saw the rod just hanging down and attached to nothing.
I removed the two pieces of the broken rod, then manufactured a temporary repair by replacing it with a home made rod, and continued on our way.
Now that we are parked at our destination, I e-mailed "Todd" at Spartan with pictures of my Chassis data tag,"make, model and all that' less than a hour he came back with a part number and a link to the Spartan shopping cart.
The part was $1.94..

I got 2, and will make up a complete new control rod.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.
9 REPLIES 9

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
liborko wrote:
Feel sorry for anyone who can not do their own repairs

A couple minor parts is one thing, a windshield replacement, or a inframe overhaul on the cummins is another.

there is a limit to what owners should do.

And what is that limit? Who wrote the book? Inquiring minds want to know.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
liborko wrote:

A couple minor parts is one thing, a windshield replacement, or a inframe overhaul on the cummins is another.

there is a limit to what owners should do.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
This summer the passenger side sway bar bracket broke disabling my front air ride. I was about 30 miles east of Savannah on I-20. Local welding company owner came over at the request of the wrecker I called and he checked it out and said โ€œwe will fix itโ€. Ten minutes later two mobile welders in a pretty significant truck came by. They removed the broken bracket, fabricated a new bracket on the spot, 3 1/2 hours later they were done. Total cost, $270.
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

liborko
Explorer
Explorer

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
let see , at the biggest rv dealer, we all know who that could be , part $100.labor $300. wait time two months for appointment ,repair time six days. sorry just couldn,t resist.

No,no,no...You probably have the pricing pretty close, but the rig would probably be in for at least 2 to 4 four months. Then when finally done, the actual part wouldn't have been repaired and something else broken that was fine when initially dropped off.:D
Mark & Cherie
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 3872, Cummins 350 ISC, Spartan Chassis

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
I paid $2o To have a mechanic deliver and install one while I was setting along the side of s road. I thought it was โ€œcheapโ€
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
let see , at the biggest rv dealer, we all know who that could be , part $100.labor $300. wait time two months for appointment ,repair time six days. sorry just couldn,t resist.

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
Should have posted in an additional forum so they could see what real customer service looked like.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder what you would have paid for the part if you took the rig to a repair shop?