cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

aerial antenna

flyboykuao
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I am a new RV owner (37 class a pusher) and having difficulty with the aerial antenna (a winegard manual crank up). It was very difficult to turn the crank so I went topside to see if there was some kind of lock. There wasn't. I then strained the crank once around before the handle broke off.

I assume the fix is to use WD40 on the gears on the roof? Any other tips?

Thanks in advance.
14 REPLIES 14

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
emiddleb wrote:
Well, if you have (or download) the owners manual, you'll see they suggest silicon spray. There are a couple points to lube as well as removing a plug on the roof baseplate and spraying into the hole to lube the inner gears.

Owners manual

See page 4.

Do this.

You need to use silicone spray versus WD40. WD40 is a cleaner. The spray lubricates the gears and other moving parts AND lubricates some rubber seals to help prevent leaks. Not to sound like a wife, but read the manual. :W

This. Im not suure why anyone would use anything other than what the manual states.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
tropical36 wrote:
flyboykuao wrote:
Hi, I am a new RV owner (37 class a pusher) and having difficulty with the aerial antenna (a winegard manual crank up). It was very difficult to turn the crank so I went topside to see if there was some kind of lock. There wasn't. I then strained the crank once around before the handle broke off.

Thanks in advance.

When open, I could see the gears and coated them with grease.
Two different coaches for this and for making it nice and easy for turning the crank.

Don't use grease or WD-40. The grease will make things worse with time as it attracts and holds dust and dirt. WD-40 is just bad. The only thing that should be used on the Winegard is a dry silicone spray.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
flyboykuao wrote:

Thanks in advance.

When open, I could see the gears and coated them with grease.
Two different coaches for this and for making it nice and easy for turning the crank.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
:S

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Make sure that there is no roof sealant, used to seal around the antenna, that has gotten in to the mechanism.

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
But any good spray lube shoudl work.
Any spray lube as long as it's silicone. Do what the manual says.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I woudl not use WD-40 that's not what is designed for. But any good spray lube shoudl work. handle is easy to replace. ONe set screw but BEWARE there is a ring and spring and stuff it holds in place so make sure you hold the turn ring when you take it off I've repalced mine.

Remove handle and you are half way to disassembly of riser assembly.

Winegard has an Antenna Pointer app for your phone may be a nice addition to where you are.. And I put the Sensar Pro inside in place of the old wall plate. Very happy.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
emiddleb wrote:
Well, if you have (or download) the owners manual, you'll see they suggest silicon spray. There are a couple points to lube as well as removing a plug on the roof baseplate and spraying into the hole to lube the inner gears.

Owners manual

See page 4.

Do this.

You need to use silicone spray versus WD40. WD40 is a cleaner. The spray lubricates the gears and other moving parts AND lubricates some rubber seals to help prevent leaks. Not to sound like a wife, but read the manual. :W
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

emiddleb
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
Take it apart, clean everything and lube it with a grease suitable for use with plastic.

Don't do any of this!
All you need to do is get up on the roof and spray some dry silicome spray at any gear you can see. Now crank it up 45 degrees and do it again. Crank it all the way up and do it again. Crank it up and down a few times and you should be good to go for about 6 months. Time to do it again!

Yes. And per the manual don't forget the lube hole (should be covered with a small cap) on the base plate.
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Roadmaster Tow Dolly

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
donn0128 wrote:
Take it apart, clean everything and lube it with a grease suitable for use with plastic.

Don't do any of this!
All you need to do is get up on the roof and spray some dry silicome spray at any gear you can see. Now crank it up 45 degrees and do it again. Crank it all the way up and do it again. Crank it up and down a few times and you should be good to go for about 6 months. Time to do it again!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

emiddleb
Explorer
Explorer

Owners manual

See page 4.
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Roadmaster Tow Dolly

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
No. Use a Dry lubricant.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn’t use WD40 even though a fan. Silicon spray would be better.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad