cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electrical question

ginaseven
Explorer
Explorer
I plugged in to 110 tonight to turn the fridge on and have lights to start packing.
My microwave numbers are lit and my CO detector is lit but nothing else works.
No lights work, the fridge "check" indicator comes on.
12volt lights do not come on either.
Thoughts??
Where do I start?
We leave Wednesday for a week long trip, go figure, so not enough time to get it into the shop.

Thanks in advance for your help!
2006 Gulfstream Conquest
15 REPLIES 15

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sounds like the loose cable was the Tribble in the quadrotriticale. (ST Reference).

The lights not working....

On my RV I have several lights that have multiple switches.. ONE on the lamp itself and one (or 2) Elsewhere. These inluce the overhead light in the bath and half bath. Bedroom 2 in the main room and one over the steps. BOTH the lamp's on-board switch and the "Remote" must be on for light to light.

2nd. though Bob may be your friend BOB (Burned Out Bulb) is not.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ginaseven
Explorer
Explorer
It was unplugged about 2 weeks.
2006 Gulfstream Conquest

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
ginaseven wrote:
So, I checked the plug (outlet), good power to plug (outlet). Battery disconnect is on. I checked all fuses, none are blown. I checked the battery cables, the positive cable was very slightly loose. I tightened it and added water to the battery. It was a little low but not bad. The converter is new as of this summer, the battery is 2 years old.

Most of the lights, the fridge, and the pump now come on...yay!!! I have 2 lights that still do not come on.

Thanks everyone!!!! I am making progress.

Good. Did you have it unplugged for a while?

ginaseven
Explorer
Explorer
So, I checked the plug (outlet), good power to plug (outlet). Battery disconnect is on. I checked all fuses, none are blown. I checked the battery cables, the positive cable was very slightly loose. I tightened it and added water to the battery. It was a little low but not bad. The converter is new as of this summer, the battery is 2 years old.

Most of the lights, the fridge, and the pump now come on...yay!!! I have 2 lights that still do not come on.

Thanks everyone!!!! I am making progress.
2006 Gulfstream Conquest

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the fridge indicator light is on the disconnect switch is not disconnected. If it was there would be no indicator light on.

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
ginaseven wrote:
I plugged in to 110 tonight to turn the fridge on and have lights to start packing.
12volt lights do not come on either.

How long was it unplugged or since you ran generator or engine? I hope it is only the 12v disconnect but suspect you have run batteries down. You might have killed them if left depleted long. As others have said. Start with the 12v disconnect switch. it could be as simple as that. If not then put a voltmeter on the batteries. Do you know where your converter is? Use the voltmeter on the output of the converter. post results.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Cycle your battery disconnect to off then back to on

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
nvm. I confused myself and deleted my not accurate thoughts. :h
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
The fridge "check indicator" on ours is for LP operation and is a 12v light that comes on beside the gas light if the fridge fails to ignite.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree the problem is low or no 12 volts.. How it works

120 volts from house/garage comes into the RV.. NOTE: some RV's will trip GFCI by code all outdoor outlets are GFCI or GFCI protected so make sure there is power at the outlet (plug in lamp)

now it comes into the RV. if it's a Trailer it USUALLY goes straight to the breaker box but in a motor home there is a transfer switch (or a trailer with optional factory generator).

IF the CONV breaker or main is tripped.. No joy..
Using that lamp. Find an outlet that is NOT inverter powered (If you do not have an inverter that is every outlet in the house) and plug in NO light = No power.

Check GFCI. there is likely one in the bathroom. IF there is do a test and reset. it may refuse to reset if no power.. Plug in lamp there.

Now from the CONV breaker power goes to a box called a CONVERTER (CONVerter) this may be right behind the breaker box or it may be... elsewhere.

This box converts (Converter) 120vac to 12vdc (Battery) it has 1,2 or 3 30 amp fuses which may be blown. (if more than one they will be side by side).
IF you need to replace them.. UNPLUG replace all of them Plug back in.

From there it goes to the house system. then to the battery disconnect. and via a fuse or breaker to the battery when plugged in.

WHen unplugged reverse last paragraph as far as "house system" and stop.

IF you have an inverter/charger.. Small ones same as above
Big ones are often connected direct to the battery via a fuse or breaker BEFORE the switch.

Now on my RV (Which is of course the one I know best) The CONVerter is not behind the fuse block and is a PLUG IN device in an outdoor compartment. Sometimes it becomes unplugged (Very easy fix).

After 12.5 years it died (Also a very easy fix but 238 dollars).

And as I said some folks have blown fuses. Mine did not.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MrWizard
your problem is NO 12v
possibly dead battery, bad connection, blown fuse, disconnect switch
your lights are 12v, the fridge and almost everything else uses 12v either for control circuit aka the fridge, or for main power aka lights water pump heater etc..
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Is the battery disconnect (salesman) switch in the disconnect position? In some units the converter is on the battery side of the disconnect switch, so with it turned off there isn't any 12V power for general house loads.

Usually the CO detector is wired to the 12V system, so there apparently is 12V power somewhere. Often it's not disconnected via the usual disconnect.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
110 goes to a breaker box. If you have 50 amp service, maybe one side is not working. Or you do not have power from the 110 service to the 12 volt converter and the battery is disconnected.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Start with the battery voltage. Then voltage on the 12v fuses.

If the battery is dead and not charging you converter could be shot. For an immediate fix you could get a 10+ amp battery charger for the trip.