cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air Conditioner

Maybe2wice
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to add a second Air Conditioner. The TT I am buying has one 15k btu and I live in Florida. It was suggested that I add another roof top. Any suggestions to which one I should buy? Thanks for your advice in advance...
12 REPLIES 12

davidsons
Explorer
Explorer
Hey! I had the same situation recently, I had no idea what to buy and what would be better for my paticular house but I concacted with ***Link Removed*** and they helped me. They can also install AC in your house

Maybe2wice
Explorer
Explorer
2018 Prime Time Lacrosse 3211RK does have a 50 amp...

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe2wice wrote:
Looking to add a second Air Conditioner. The TT I am buying has one 15k btu and I live in Florida. It was suggested that I add another roof top. Any suggestions to which one I should buy? Thanks for your advice in advance...
DutchmenSport brought up a good point - does the camper you plan on buying have 50 amp service? If not, your plan is in trouble.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Maybe2wice
Explorer
Explorer
Love it... The Atwood looks like the ine to go with.... you all rock!

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
1320Fastback wrote:
Absolutely love our new AtWood AirCommand (no heat) AC. It is amazing how queit yet forceful the air comes out. Can feel a cold breeze 20' away and carry on a conversation with it on High.

We had a Atwood Air Command 13,5K non-ducted installed in our 35ft. motorhome two years. We spend a lot of time in the desert. The air conditioner is awesome, it's cold and quiet.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Maybe2wice wrote:
Thanks...

Was thinking about going with this Atwood 15027 Ducted/ac unit. I am reading great reviews for a 15k btu that is equivalate to a 18k btu unit.

We replaced our old Dometic unit a few years ago with that Atwood 15 btu unit with heat pump. We absolutely love it! It puts out a lot more air than the old unit and is a bit quieter - both inside and outside the trailer!

The other thing I like about it is that it has two fans instead of one fan doing double duty. It was an easy conversion. We purchased it online. Keep in mind that you will also need to purchase the ceiling assembly separately.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Maybe2wice
Explorer
Explorer
Yes they said I could add a second one. The sales pitch was that we should add another one and we have one for 1k and 500 to install. I don't know what unit they have but after I did some research I found them to be cheaper in else ware. This is my first TT I am buying so I wanna try and make the best decisions up front as possible....

Thanks All for the sound advice!!!

Maybe2wice
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks...

Was thinking about going with this Atwood 15027 Ducted/ac unit. I am reading great reviews for a 15k btu that is equivalate to a 18k btu unit.

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Absolutely love our new AtWood AirCommand (no heat) AC. It is amazing how queit yet forceful the air comes out. Can feel a cold breeze 20' away and carry on a conversation with it on High.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you can actually add it first. We wanted to add a second one to our previous travel trailer and was more than willing for our dealer service shop to do the work. When consulting with them, they said they wouldn't do it.

First, the vent over the bedroom was not wired. I suggested just putting in the air conditioner and run a separate wire so I could plug it into a normal 15-20 amp outlet. I'd run an extension directly to the campground electric hook up. They wouldn't do it.

Second, I asked them about adding the wiring inside the camper, and they reminded me the camper was a 30 amp system and the entire camper would have to be rewired for 50 amp. We're talking big money there. I didn't want to do that.

We ended up switching the 13,500 btu for a 15,000 and stayed with just one air conditioner and it actually worked pretty good for a 35 foot TT. But... we camp in Florida in the month of December too! In the Northern states, it's very seldom THAT hot.

It turned out the single 15,000 BTU was the best solution for us in the long-run.

So, just an FYI... make sure, before you go out and get all the hardware and spend a bundle on a second air conditioner, it's actually do-able on your camper.

Of course, if you do the work yourself, everything is possible! Dealerships and service centers have to follow rules and legal guidelines and also have legal obligations and can face law suits if something went wrong down the road. So, in order to avoid things like that, I think it's just easier for them to say, "No, it can't be done."

Edit:
I still have that 13,500 btu air conditioner sitting in my utility shed at home. I'm still trying to give it away to anyone who wants it ... been making this offer for 5 years now. Hope the mice haven't chewed up all the wires now.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
grumpy3b wrote:
Look at Coleman/Airxcel, not sure who is the mfg, just know based on reading the new Dometic units seem to have quality issues.

Aircel makes 'em .. Coleman sells 'em.

And I will 2nd that advice.. I have one (And an Advent Air with a coleman fan on it).

My Favorite RV Girl (She is a mobile RV technician) Says that "Colemans SUCK" (in a good way) And others blow

By SUck/Blow she is talking about the direction of air flow through the condenser.. Colemans SUCK air in and blow it out the sides

What does that mean.. Well from time to time I get Cotton-wooded.. And this clogs the condenser.. So with the Coleman I remove 4 count 'em 4 Screws from the TOP. Life the "lid" and peal the condenser clean then brush off the last bits and replace top and 4 Screws.

With others it is like 10 screws along the bottom of the outer cover (Cowling) and then you need to remove an INNER cover. this can range from a few screws to cutting tape and bending tabs. Then if your hands are my size remove the fan from the shaft. then I can clean the INSIDE of the condenser.

Way more work.. Way way more work.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

grumpy3b
Explorer
Explorer
Look at Coleman/Airxcel, not sure who is the mfg, just know based on reading the new Dometic units seem to have quality issues.

Here is our unit. Our rig is a wide body 38".

Airxcel 48204C866 08-0080 Mach 15 15.0 Arctic Wht Upper

Worth doing some added research. Opted for the extra BTU's. Ours cost just under $700 on Amazon including delivery.