cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2016 RAM CTD; Can’t Find Differential Service Interval!

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
After reading some discussion on servicing the differentials in another thread, I decided to check my manual for the service interval.

In the diesel maintenance section of the Manual, they show the intervals for the Engine Oil, Tansfer Case, Aisin Trans, 68FRE series Trans, Manual Trans etc, but nowhere can I find the service interval for the differential! I even looked in the gasoline section. What am I missing???

I found the section in the manual where they discuss the type of fluid to use, but that’s it.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"
25 REPLIES 25

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I'm in an 6.4L truck, but this is what my gear oil looked like when I changed it at 24k. A little bit less than half of those miles were towing and mostly with our trailer that's around 9k. I expected dark oil for the first change, but this stuff was like midnight and looking very no bueno. If anyone has the factory stuff in there, then I would err on the side of caution and get it out of there sooner than later.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Right, you arent grocery getting so change it at 20k" Is this in your manual? What truck and engine?

My page comes from the CTD section.

Fact is many report grabbing at around the 20k mark towing a lot and or heavy.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
Looks mean NOTHING. I used to do regular UOA on the rear lube and I tried brand "A" one time and it looked and smelled fine at 13300 but I started getting gear noise and the UOA showed the additives were shot. I pulled the cover and the teeth were dull gray and I know for a fact they were shiny and quiet before brand A cuz I pull the cover every change. 25k was always fine on RP lube. I went 30k once and the UOA was fine so I started changing at 30k after that. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
The last time I took my truck in for major fluid changes the shop told me that the differential fluid still looked good so it didn’t get changed even though it was at a suggested interval.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd
Right on. I feel at least the first change is critical. If you aren't towing like a snowbird or really putting the sheet to it like I do double towing I wouldn't do it that often. Do the first one and you will see the oil color. Look at the clearness of the new mobile one syn lube and check it down the road at another 30 k or whatever.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
"
Right, you arent grocery getting so change it at 20k. It doesn't say etc, it says frequent towing. They do leave the determination of frequent up to us. Are you frequent or am I frequent? My money says I'm towing more towards what a ctd is designed to do so 20k. Don't change it at all and you will probably be fine. If you do have the truck long term and the set or the carrier bearings go out you will only be able to wonder if changing could have prevented it. If those who do change at 15 or 20 or whatever have a failure they will know it wasn't from a lack or changes. If they use the spec oil they also know it wasn't the oil.

The other issue I see regardless of what any manufacturer or you or I or anyone here thinks, it only takes one time of hitting the Eisenhower tunnel or east bound from Vail on 70 to put the hurt on the oil with 26,000 pounds going through the gear set with 28 pounds of boost.

I've heard of smoking drive axles in that territory.

I'd be happy to have a gear failure compared to a diesel issue but I do error on the side of caution or overkill with all these systems since it's very inconvenient to be broke down."

I agree with everything you said.

But I'm sitting here at 30K with the OEM lube because nowhere in the manual it says I need to change it now.

I'm not a frequent tower, not a Police car, not a Taxi, not an Ambulance, etc..

Bottom line is I'm gonna change it yesterday.
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
azrving wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:
Here's my page in the 2016 manual if this photo works:

As you can see, no change interval is listed like Cummins posted above.

Do you see the asterisk? Go down to where they show the meaning of the asterisk on 212

Yes, and I'm agreeing with you, I did see the asterisk, but it ONLY gives a change interval for Police, Taxi, etc, as you mentioned. If it's used this way, you change it at 20K, OK, so what about the rest of us??? When do we change the gear lube?? The manual doesn't say.

See the big blank area on my page, compared to Cummins's picture??

There is NOWHERE in the manual where it says you MUST change the OEM lube at 15K. There is NOWHERE in the manual where it says you have to change the gear lube at all if you use your 2500/3500 as a grocery getter, (which I do not)..

This is in the 2016 Manual so things might have changed.

Right, you arent grocery getting so change it at 20k. It doesn't say etc, it says frequent towing. They do leave the determination of frequent up to us. Are you frequent or am I frequent? My money says I'm towing more towards what a ctd is designed to do so 20k. Don't change it at all and you will probably be fine. If you do have the truck long term and the set or the carrier bearings go out you will only be able to wonder if changing could have prevented it. If those who do change at 15 or 20 or whatever have a failure they will know it wasn't from a lack or changes. If they use the spec oil they also know it wasn't the oil.

The other issue I see regardless of what any manufacturer or you or I or anyone here thinks, it only takes one time of hitting the Eisenhower tunnel or east bound from Vail on 70 to put the hurt on the oil with 26,000 pounds going through the gear set with 28 pounds of boost.

I've heard of smoking drive axles in that territory.

I'd be happy to have a gear failure compared to a diesel issue but I do error on the side of caution or overkill with all these systems since it's very inconvenient to be broke down.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
azrving wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:

Do you see the asterisk? Go down to where they show the meaning of the asterisk on 212

Yes, and I'm agreeing with you, I did see the asterisk, but it ONLY gives a change interval for Police, Taxi, etc, as you mentioned. If it's used this way, you change it at 20K, OK, so what about the rest of us??? When do we change the gear lube?? The manual doesn't say.

See the big blank area on my page, compared to Cummins's picture??

There is NOWHERE in the manual where it says you MUST change the OEM lube at 15K. There is NOWHERE in the manual where it says you have to change the gear lube at all if you use your 2500/3500 as a grocery getter, (which I do not)..

This is in the 2016 Manual so things might have changed.
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
You are correct; it doesn’t specify it so it must be ok to never change it.

Until it pukes....
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
The manual says police, taxi, FREQUENT TOWING, change at 20,000. We aren't police or taxi but speaking for myself I certainly do more than frequent towing and I'm pulling 26,000 lb total through the rear gear set so 20k is what I do.

If I did less weight or less often I'd probably change less often. No matter how much or how little or how frequently or infrequently I'd at least do one change initially.

It's sort of like a small engine generator, the first and even the second oil change will sometimes look surprisingly metallic ish. After that my oil will start to darken at less than the 100 hour Honda recommendation but it has never again looked metallic. Im not saying the gear oil will look anywhere near metallic but the concept is the same. The gear set has to break in.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, I do my rear axle every 25k. Trans every 25k. T-case every 50k, PS every 50k and brake fluid every 3 years. Way cheaper than a repair!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer

Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.