cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tire pressure valve cover indicators

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone had any success with the tire cap valve covers that are for certain pressues on tires. Theses are the ones that have a green indicator that goes to red when the tire pressure goes from the valve cap value to about 20% low. I had them on my TT some time ago and they were fine. I was wondering if they were suitable for a class A that normally operates at 90 psi.
BTW I do know that the tpms is a better way so don't kneed that advise in this particular case.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)
15 REPLIES 15

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
wa8yxm wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
I preferred the Crossfire tire gauges for my duals. You purchase these for the specific PSI that you want and then they tie both of your duals together and balance out the pressure in both. Then all it takes is a glance at the gauge to see if the pressure is OK. If one tire does get a puncture, it will not allow both to deflate. It also means you only have one valve to inflate both tires at the same time with the exact same tire pressure.

I have a set of 100 PSI crossfires. I am unable to install them (well I might be able to now that I have dually valves but alas they don't work well with those either)

Last year during my southern migration I blew a tire (inner dual Driver's side as I recall) and because the outer tire was fully inflated made it to destination before I figured it out...

Put on a new one. and then this fall put on 6 New ones (22xx.xx dollars worth of Toyos)

With the cross fire I'd not have made it as the other tire being under inflated would have blown. and instead onf one new casing I'd have needed 2. and blocked traffic as well. with possible 2ndary damage to rims and RV.

Having trouble understanding what you are saying here. In the first instance, you blew one tire but you made it to the destination because the other tire stayed inflated. Is that correct? If that was the case, you definitely overloaded the single remaining tire and might have damaged it from putting too much load on that tire.
In the second example you say that with Crossfire, you would not have made it because the second tire would have blown after the first tire blew. That is just false as the Crossfire prevents the scond tire from deflating if the first tire blows. Naturally this would still overload the second tire, as in your first example, because ONE tire is not designed to handle the same load as two tires. In the first example where you made it to your destination, the tire MIGHT have been damaged, depending on how far you drove with your overloaded tire.
I see no difference in having the Crossfire or not.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
rgatijnet1 wrote:
I preferred the Crossfire tire gauges for my duals. You purchase these for the specific PSI that you want and then they tie both of your duals together and balance out the pressure in both. Then all it takes is a glance at the gauge to see if the pressure is OK. If one tire does get a puncture, it will not allow both to deflate. It also means you only have one valve to inflate both tires at the same time with the exact same tire pressure.

I have a set of 100 PSI crossfires. I am unable to install them (well I might be able to now that I have dually valves but alas they don't work well with those either)

Last year during my southern migration I blew a tire (inner dual Driver's side as I recall) and because the outer tire was fully inflated made it to destination before I figured it out...

Put on a new one. and then this fall put on 6 New ones (22xx.xx dollars worth of Toyos)

With the cross fire I'd not have made it as the other tire being under inflated would have blown. and instead onf one new casing I'd have needed 2. and blocked traffic as well. with possible 2ndary damage to rims and RV.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

William_B
Explorer
Explorer
I'd much rather have a TPMS. Reads out from the driver's seat all the time.
Full timing since 2004
2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45' DD Series 60
2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Limited

Our Blog

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chum lee wrote:
If you force yourself to use the old fashioned direct read pressure gauge you will need to actually bend over and LOOK at the tire while you check the pressure. Getting in the habit of doing that will present a lot of additional critical information regarding the condition of your tires and wheels. Things like tread and side wall damage, tread separation, nails, tread wear, alignment, manufacturing date, sidewall bulges, loose/missing lug nuts/wheel covers, and a few other things I can't think of right now.

Or, during your next blowout you could ask yourself, hummmmm, why did that happen because I'm sure the pressure was fine?

Chum lee

I always do a visual check of the tires when I check my gauges. They aren't a substitution for that. But it sure is easier on my eyesight to check the gauge caps than try to read a manual gauge 4+ times. And with the gauge caps, I can check at every stop quickly and easily.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
rgatijnet1 wrote:

I have the Cat Eye system on my duallies. They do the same thing.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
If you force yourself to use the old fashioned direct read pressure gauge you will need to actually bend over and LOOK at the tire while you check the pressure. Getting in the habit of doing that will present a lot of additional critical information regarding the condition of your tires and wheels. Things like tread and side wall damage, tread separation, nails, tread wear, alignment, manufacturing date, sidewall bulges, loose/missing lug nuts/wheel covers, and a few other things I can't think of right now.

Or, during your next blowout you could ask yourself, hummmmm, why did that happen because I'm sure the pressure was fine?

Chum lee

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you put them on too tight, the seal will break and cause air loss.

If installed correctly, they do not have issues.

richclover
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco23FB wrote:
Not sure if those are the same brand, but we had them on our fire trucks with many failures. We tried a couple different brands with similar results. We ended up removing them. I had a set on my travel trailer, altough I did not have a failure I took them off anyway to avoid one.

I had several failures on truck and camper. I won't use them anymore. In fact, stores around here no longer sell them.
Rich
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2021 CanAm Maverick DS Turbo
Southern NV

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
A better option than those red/yellow/green tire deflators is a Pressure Pro or TST or other TPMS .. You do not need to stop to read the pressure. You can check your pressure atr 60MPH just fine (Touch a button on some glance on others) and if a tire looses too much air. BEEP BEEP BEEP even while you are driving. Way better. and unlike the fail-a-matic tri-color jobs.. never had one flatten the tire. Leak slowly yes. Alarm so I could correct yes. Flatten no.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
This reminds me of those pass/fail battery testers for home use. I'd rather have a little more information...
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Jayco23FB
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure if those are the same brand, but we had them on our fire trucks with many failures. We tried a couple different brands with similar results. We ended up removing them. I had a set on my travel trailer, altough I did not have a failure I took them off anyway to avoid one.
Jayco G2 23FB
2007 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.0L

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, I’m not a fan and I don’t trust pressure gauges either. I use two and replace them regularly.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Had them blow out and flatten a car tire. Had to take the MOtor home over (only other vehicle at teh time) with air compressor. and then got stuck and had to call for a tow to get unstuck, Tow company sent about half enough wrecker so had to use my strong mind and his weak back to get 'er out.