cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quiet Back Roads and a Truck Camper

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
Have anyone else also discovered the very pleasant experience of traveling the quiet back roads of America? I found some I can go for hours at 45 and 50. It so cool..... almost no one else on the road and no rat race interstate. It's wonderful fun time to me.

Just wondering if anyone else takes that extra time tossing the clock and calender, or am I the only one?
86 REPLIES 86

LabMan1945
Explorer II
Explorer II
Back roads are the ONLY way to travel for me. I love the slower pace and ability to see many places away from the major highways. I am fortunate in that I am retired and do have the time. Interstates are fine though for folks with a set schedule but not for my taste. To each his own however.
JoeChoOhki, I believe we met at Mount Rushmore on your trip in 2012.
Dodge 3500 CTD.
Northstar 850SC
Constant companions - Scoter and Skye - Black Labs (better than most people)

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
It's sad about our glaciers. I experienced that myself having traveled the icefield parkway back in the early 70's and then again 30 years later.

JoeChoOhki, I think that was when you headed across country back east if I remember.

I would like to travel the Yukon watching the northern lites. That would really be something. I heard even the small family stores along the highway are simple and Quaint. Not to mention the wildlife.

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
covered wagon wrote:
Have anyone else also discovered the very pleasant experience of traveling the quiet back roads of America? I found some I can go for hours at 45 and 50. It so cool..... almost no one else on the road and no rat race interstate. It's wonderful fun time to me.

Just wondering if anyone else takes that extra time tossing the clock and calender, or am I the only one?

Did it for two months back in 2012, my last Camper adventure on the road :), some of the best time of my life.
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I liked driving in the Yukon. When it gets dark you can drive North and watch the Northern Lights.

Travels_with_Yo
Explorer
Explorer
CSG wrote:
We did the Icefield back in 1992 and while the specifics have faded, I remember it being spectacular beyond imagination.

I traveled the Icefield Pkwy back in 1970 in my 1965 VW camper bus. The Columbia Glacier came down almost as far as the highway today. Same for the glacier at the far end of Lake Louise that came down to the water's edge. Quite a bit different than when we did it spring of 2017.

Rickj91
Explorer
Explorer
Spent a week in Kananaskis the first week of September. Still crowded, but a beautiful area with great biking and hiking trails. Heading out on Hwy 22 we got in a real snow blizzard till we hit Hwy 3.
2005 Chev 2500HD D/A,EC,SB,32 in. Hitch Ex. 2013 Wolf Creek 850 SB, 2007 Mirage 6X12 Cargo Trlr

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Highway 40 south to north through Kananskis country, clear blue sky, 1 day after winter closure ends (early June), on a weekday, by motorcycle.

I think we saw 3 or 4 other vehicles....

We didn’t stop at the pass to make coffee - grizzly bear got there first - I don’t speak grizzly but I think his body language said “piss off this is my picnic area right now....”

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
I remember it cloudy and snowing along the way one time when another huge mountain came into view. Suddenly the sun broke out and lit up only just the mountain top. Hard to describe what an amazing sight it was to see.

If ever you get a chance to go there... it is a must. One can almost believe that road is thee road to Heaven.

CSG
Explorer
Explorer
We did the Icefield back in 1992 and while the specifics have faded, I remember it being spectacular beyond imagination.
2001 GMC EC 2500HD, 4x4, 6.0 V8
2002 Pleasure-Way Traverse
2002 Lexus Land Cruiser (LX470)

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
sbryan@vtbryans.com wrote:
covered wagon wrote:

The most beautiful highway in the world has a speed limit of 50, the Icefield Parkway.

Now there is something I can agree with.

Yes and you have to see it going both directions. It such terrific views you don't want to see just half of it so going both ways is fantastic.

sbryan
Explorer II
Explorer II
covered wagon wrote:

The most beautiful highway in the world has a speed limit of 50, the Icefield Parkway.

Now there is something I can agree with.
Shawn
2013 Ford F350 6.7 CCLB Ruby Red SRW, sway bar, Bilsteins, etc
2007 Cyclone toyhauler, 18,000 GVWR
Northstar Igloo 9.5
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-2J3zF6J/0/M/i-2J3zF6J-M.jpg
US Army retired

R__Walter
Explorer
Explorer
I live off the back roads. Sometimes its nice to get to the good roads.
2016 Ram 3500 Aisin SRW LB
2005 Hitchhiker DA 31.5
Fulltimin'

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
Leisure travel as it has been called, is very pleasant experience when the views are so wonderful they call for most of your attention. 45 and 50 is good when no one else around for miles telling me I'm on the right path.

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
Unless you can convince the company to give me 4 more weeks of vacation every year, I need to get where I'm gettin' as quick as I can. Don't have time to lollygag, so it's Interstates for me.

Been there.....done that, glad I don't have to anymore.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP