cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Prevost Bus or Newmar King Air

JCat
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am looking into getting my next RV and want to upgrade to either a Prevost Bus (marathon, vantare, etc) or a Newmar king air, all used.

I drove a new King air and and it was a great ride, but still had some wind noise at the door and windows. I have not driven a Prevost yet, but I hear the ride is great and a lot less wind noise.

Also want to hear about insulation and cold air seeping in around the windows.

Anyway I would like to get input from those that own or have owned a Prevost and a King Air on the pro's and con's.

Thanks
JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP
60 REPLIES 60

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Smitty77 wrote:
Have never owned either of these two coaches. But have gone thru similar 'What it's!' analysis when trying to decide if we would sell our current 'vacation home' (Former home in San Diego, now our 'vacation home'.) - and go truly sticks & bricks homeless:)! Some observations:

-Prevost would provide the highest safety to occupants in case of an accident.
-Prevost have different levels of quality as far as the modifier's are concerned. If shopping news, pay close attention to OTR AC, as many modifiers do not provide an adequate source of front cooling.
-Prevost would cost more to maintain over the years. But, I agree that as far as getting the work done, it is with shorter wait time to get in for service, and usually faster turn around time getting back out and on the road.
-Newmar's King Aire is fine Class A higher end rig. At that budget range, you'd end up with a newer coach and you obviously like the cosmetics and interior layout - or it would not be the one you were comparing it too.

What we've been doing so far, is putting more money into our coach. Modifying the interior to our specific likes. Making minor mechanical enhancements. Adding solar, beefing up house bank battery size, installing higher end HiFi (I'm a HiFi junkie.). Etc., etc.

I say 'so far' - as while we expect to retain our 'vacation home' for the foreseeable future (MIL is living in it, and would not be able to afford to live in a good quality of life without this roof over her head. So we've committed to retain the home as long as it is appropriate for her to live in.). But, we have another home in San Diego, that we'll be selling sometime in the next few years ahead. At that time, I've been suggesting to the DW that we also change coaches. Not because their is anything wrong with our coach, we still like it. But because I'd like a coach with a bit more power, and at minimum front disc brakes. Perhaps move from 40' to 42-43', to add a third full basement bay. Or the other option, is to put another $35-50K into our older lower down the food chain CC Allure. (Grind out micro checking, paint, new flooring, shift to lithium from Lifeline's, etc. - as we do like the layout and cabinet space in our Allure.)

Or, also part of the 'What if's'. Are these other three options:
-Newer used coach (2006 Country Coach Magna with C13, Foretravel with ISM, Mountain Aire with ISM, Wanderlodge LXI with Detroit Series 60.) (Note on the Wanderlodge LXI. It is probably in between the Newmar and Prevost as far as strength of chassis and shell, and can make a good foundation to customize into what an owner may want interior wise.)
-New Newmar Mountain Aire or possibly Foretravel Realm - and customize to our specific interior likes.
-Keep our CC Allure as is. And also buy a park model to place at the Escapees Evergreen, and possibly a private lot with Casita in Yuma area. (We also have a lot at Pacific Shores in Newport, OR - that we're not sure what we'll do with.)

My DW and I both feel, and hope, to have a good 10-15 years of traveling ahead of us. But we already see that we're enjoying going to a region, and staying for a minimum of a month, sometimes longer. We like to have time to do the local museums, and will take two or three days trips to closer by locations with the toad. And expect that our miles driven per year will drop as a result of this current trend of traveling. The park model on the Olympic Peninsula, as well as a lot in Yuma area (Perhaps Tucson, which we have not ruled out.) would provide us with longer term 'anchor' locations to back & forth from as we travel less. We've also been looking at our longer term total exit strategy from RV'ing. Possibly retaining our current 'vacation home' in San Diego. But more probable we think we'll buy a lot in the next 5 years in either the Prescott region, or possibly Sedona/Clarksdale/Camp Verde region - where we'd eventually build our 'forever home'.

So OP? Why share all this with you? Well I've read many of your posts over the years, I do not know you well enough to know if you two have your 'exit strategy' covered, and or, planned for. While I could see my DW and I enjoying a Prevost, and frankly we could swing the costs of maintenance... I feel due to our lower miles per year of travel ahead, I'd rather either keep the existing coach and upgrade more, or if I can convince the DW, get one of the other used RV's mentioned above - and start the process of upgrading a coach with the bigger engine and added safety of the disc brakes.

I wish you luck on your decision, and do what the both of you feel is right for you now, and for the long haul... And to be sure, not trying to preach to you, or any member, on keeping an eye on and preparing for an 'exit strategy'. (I always appreciated a form Country Coach owner who sort of took me under his wing, to make sure my DW and I were looking at the total picture ahead:)!)

Best to you, and all, travel safe have fun,
Smitty

Great stuff here! I completely agree with your thought process and list of coach brands. I've researched extensively and am waiting to jump in someday. For now I'm enjoying life in a 5th wheel and a "mostly" tax deductible truck to tow it with (still working for probably +/- 10 more years). Once that gravy train is over I'll likely be in a class A.

Your mention of Pacific Shores got my attention. Until about a year ago we owned a unit a the Inn at Otter Crest just up the road. I've researched Pacific Shores a lot but, unfortunately, they won't let trailer trash like me in ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ That's a beautiful part of the Oregon Coast, particularly any time but winter.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
JCat wrote:
I am looking into getting my next RV and want to upgrade to either a Prevost Bus (marathon, vantare, etc) or a Newmar king air, all used.

I drove a new King air and and it was a great ride, but still had some wind noise at the door and windows. I have not driven a Prevost yet, but I hear the ride is great and a lot less wind noise.

Also want to hear about insulation and cold air seeping in around the windows.

Anyway I would like to get input from those that own or have owned a Prevost and a King Air on the pro's and con's.

Thanks

Like I've said many times before, the question isn't with what's best, it's staying within one's budget and with getting the other things, they want or desire, besides what's obvious from a quality of engineering standpoint.
For instance, we would probably be driving a Prevost ourselves, regardless of how old it might be, except that there's not one that exists within our budget, that has 3 slide rooms and a 1 1/2 bath floor plan. As a result, we had to find a place in the middle and do believe we accomplished that, with our last purchase.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Smitty77
Explorer
Explorer
Have never owned either of these two coaches. But have gone thru similar 'What it's!' analysis when trying to decide if we would sell our current 'vacation home' (Former home in San Diego, now our 'vacation home'.) - and go truly sticks & bricks homeless:)! Some observations:

-Prevost would provide the highest safety to occupants in case of an accident.
-Prevost have different levels of quality as far as the modifier's are concerned. If shopping news, pay close attention to OTR AC, as many modifiers do not provide an adequate source of front cooling.
-Prevost would cost more to maintain over the years. But, I agree that as far as getting the work done, it is with shorter wait time to get in for service, and usually faster turn around time getting back out and on the road.
-Newmar's King Aire is fine Class A higher end rig. At that budget range, you'd end up with a newer coach and you obviously like the cosmetics and interior layout - or it would not be the one you were comparing it too.

What we've been doing so far, is putting more money into our coach. Modifying the interior to our specific likes. Making minor mechanical enhancements. Adding solar, beefing up house bank battery size, installing higher end HiFi (I'm a HiFi junkie.). Etc., etc.

I say 'so far' - as while we expect to retain our 'vacation home' for the foreseeable future (MIL is living in it, and would not be able to afford to live in a good quality of life without this roof over her head. So we've committed to retain the home as long as it is appropriate for her to live in.). But, we have another home in San Diego, that we'll be selling sometime in the next few years ahead. At that time, I've been suggesting to the DW that we also change coaches. Not because their is anything wrong with our coach, we still like it. But because I'd like a coach with a bit more power, and at minimum front disc brakes. Perhaps move from 40' to 42-43', to add a third full basement bay. Or the other option, is to put another $35-50K into our older lower down the food chain CC Allure. (Grind out micro checking, paint, new flooring, shift to lithium from Lifeline's, etc. - as we do like the layout and cabinet space in our Allure.)

Or, also part of the 'What if's'. Are these other three options:
-Newer used coach (2006 Country Coach Magna with C13, Foretravel with ISM, Mountain Aire with ISM, Wanderlodge LXI with Detroit Series 60.) (Note on the Wanderlodge LXI. It is probably in between the Newmar and Prevost as far as strength of chassis and shell, and can make a good foundation to customize into what an owner may want interior wise.)
-New Newmar Mountain Aire or possibly Foretravel Realm - and customize to our specific interior likes.
-Keep our CC Allure as is. And also buy a park model to place at the Escapees Evergreen, and possibly a private lot with Casita in Yuma area. (We also have a lot at Pacific Shores in Newport, OR - that we're not sure what we'll do with.)

My DW and I both feel, and hope, to have a good 10-15 years of traveling ahead of us. But we already see that we're enjoying going to a region, and staying for a minimum of a month, sometimes longer. We like to have time to do the local museums, and will take two or three days trips to closer by locations with the toad. And expect that our miles driven per year will drop as a result of this current trend of traveling. The park model on the Olympic Peninsula, as well as a lot in Yuma area (Perhaps Tucson, which we have not ruled out.) would provide us with longer term 'anchor' locations to back & forth from as we travel less. We've also been looking at our longer term total exit strategy from RV'ing. Possibly retaining our current 'vacation home' in San Diego. But more probable we think we'll buy a lot in the next 5 years in either the Prescott region, or possibly Sedona/Clarksdale/Camp Verde region - where we'd eventually build our 'forever home'.

So OP? Why share all this with you? Well I've read many of your posts over the years, I do not know you well enough to know if you two have your 'exit strategy' covered, and or, planned for. While I could see my DW and I enjoying a Prevost, and frankly we could swing the costs of maintenance... I feel due to our lower miles per year of travel ahead, I'd rather either keep the existing coach and upgrade more, or if I can convince the DW, get one of the other used RV's mentioned above - and start the process of upgrading a coach with the bigger engine and added safety of the disc brakes.

I wish you luck on your decision, and do what the both of you feel is right for you now, and for the long haul... And to be sure, not trying to preach to you, or any member, on keeping an eye on and preparing for an 'exit strategy'. (I always appreciated a form Country Coach owner who sort of took me under his wing, to make sure my DW and I were looking at the total picture ahead:)!)

Best to you, and all, travel safe have fun,
Smitty

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:
^^^ When slides first became popular Prevost did not yet offer them. As with everything market driven, if someone won't offer it someone else will. It is my understanding there were some shops that would add a slide to the standard non-slide Prevost chassis.

That would be the early days. I'm not sure how far you'd need to go back to find a non-OEM Prevost slide.

HERE is a discussion on adding a slide from 10 years ago.

HERE is another conversation from 2008 where the poster says:

"I recently contacted Robert Jones, Sales Manager for Prevost Car Co. regarding the slide outs on Prevosts. He informed me that 99% of their production is slide outs (not a real surprise). He also mentioned that Marathon, Featherlite, and American Carriage do not use Prevost factory slides (I assume they use Valid or HWH or some other manufacturer)".

I would only buy a Prevost with Prevost slides.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
From the latest Prevost warranty. Sort of a common sense thing. If Prevost doesn't supply it, they don't cover it.
02.6 SPECIAL OPTIONS / EQUIPMENTS /SLIDE OUTS NOT MANUFACTURED BY PREVOST

Special options OR equipments requested by the customer and not part of Prevostโ€™s new coach option list although installed by Prevost, are excluded from this warranty policy. Only Prevostโ€™s approved new coach options that are part of Prevostโ€™s new coach option list are covered under this warranty.
Warranties for any other special option/equipment must be handled directly with their respective manufacturer.
Notwithstanding the provisions set forth hereinabove, warranties for slide outs not manufactured by Prevost must, in all instances, be handled directly with their respective manufacturer.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is true. Prevost did not offer a factory slide until around the 2000/2001 model year when they make the change over from the XL to the XLII and later shell. However, the coach manufacturers did a very good job of installing after market slides which have functioned well and can be serviced by many dealers.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Bruce_Brown
^^^ When slides first became popular Prevost did not yet offer them. As with everything market driven, if someone won't offer it someone else will. It is my understanding there were some shops that would add a slide to the standard non-slide Prevost chassis.

That would be the early days. I'm not sure how far you'd need to go back to find a non-OEM Prevost slide.

HERE is a discussion on adding a slide from 10 years ago.

HERE is another conversation from 2008 where the poster says:

"I recently contacted Robert Jones, Sales Manager for Prevost Car Co. regarding the slide outs on Prevosts. He informed me that 99% of their production is slide outs (not a real surprise). He also mentioned that Marathon, Featherlite, and American Carriage do not use Prevost factory slides (I assume they use Valid or HWH or some other manufacturer)".
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

erniee
Explorer
Explorer
hohenwald48 wrote:
Something I've heard but don't know for a fact. If you are looking at Prevost conversions be aware that not all use Prevost manufactured slides. I've been told you will have to get slides serviced elsewhere as Prevost service centers will not attempt to repair any non-Prevost slide problems.

I was told that by a salesman so take it for what it's worth. ๐Ÿ™‚

can you elaborate on these findings you were told?
Ernie Ekberg, Prevost Liberty XL Classic

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
Something I've heard but don't know for a fact. If you are looking at Prevost conversions be aware that not all use Prevost manufactured slides. I've been told you will have to get slides serviced elsewhere as Prevost service centers will not attempt to repair any non-Prevost slide problems.

I was told that by a salesman so take it for what it's worth. ๐Ÿ™‚
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

erniee
Explorer
Explorer
I have had a lot of coaches of all brands come to me for flooring. I sit in the drivers seat and it amazes me how much wasted space is taken up by the dash.
Think about how much space a Newmar is vs Prevost- on my Prevost- just about 15 inches wide is the dash, vs some I have measured 3+ feet wide.
Ernie Ekberg, Prevost Liberty XL Classic

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
Fifteen - 20 years ago there were a number of coaches that were not a fiberglass build. But todayโ€™s coaches Newmar, Tiffin etc as refderenced by the OP are Fiberglas with no slight intended, just fact.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Wizard, they sure don't make'm like they used to.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

MrWizard
We had a 95 Safari
The body shell is aluminum, the end caps are fiberglass
The lower body panels and bay doors are stainless steel
The structural assembly square Alu tubing

Not all platform coaches are all fiberglass
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
Holstein! Haven't seen you around in a while!
Thanks Mr. Mark,

We are still full-timing in the motorhome here in Asheville. So if you come to visit, please look us up. We love the area so much that we are actually building a house around the motorhome. It's beautiful. You'll have to see it to believe it.

--Paul
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`