cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2008 Sandstorm Remodel - Exterior Finish Recommendations?

ThomasFour
Explorer
Explorer
After much research and contemplation of buying newer, I embarked on a complete remodel of our 23' Sandstorm toy hauler. I am midway through the interior but already looking at options for the exterior. I am trying to research spraying the corrugated aluminum siding with truck bed liner as I like the look of that finish. Anyone have experience or recommendations to offer - good or bad? Thanks in advance.
10 REPLIES 10

ThomasFour
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis58 wrote:
Data Point;

LINE-X will add like 500 lbs" - False, We spray exteriors around 65mils on average. At that thickness you achieve the tough coating you want and don't add a significant amount of weight. Less than 90 lbs on average for a full size vehicle completely sprayed. About as much weight as your cooler stocked with "sodas" and ice.

Insightful information - Thank you. Of course I would not be spraying the roof or windows on the trailer so the surface area is just a percentage of the entire rig. Regardless, I see the weight calculations mentioned are at least somewhat of a consideration. Is the surface prep on a corrugated aluminum RV likely to make application cost prohibitive? I've started to remove decals (what a pain) but I'm inclined to pay a team of professionals just to get the exterior completely redone. Thanks for your input.

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis58 wrote:
Data Point;

LINE-X will add like 500 lbs" - False, We spray exteriors around 65mils on average. At that thickness you achieve the tough coating you want and don't add a significant amount of weight. Less than 90 lbs on average for a full size vehicle completely sprayed. About as much weight as your cooler stocked with "sodas" and ice.
So 90 lbs on a truck....probably is 500+lbs on a TH
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

Dennis58
Explorer
Explorer
Data Point;

ThomasFour
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
Don't know your skill level or equipment available. I repainted my TH with automotive hardened acrylic enamel. The prep is labor intensive along with the masking. Not fun prepping a corrugated surface, but essentially for proper bonding.

Thank you for the input!

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know your skill level or equipment available. I repainted my TH with automotive hardened acrylic enamel. The prep is labor intensive along with the masking. Not fun prepping a corrugated surface, but essentially for proper bonding.

ThomasFour
Explorer
Explorer
eDUBz wrote:
Look into a wrap.

Thank you! Sounds like a great plan.

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
Look into a wrap.
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker

ThomasFour
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the replies.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen older RV's that have been painted and they look like ****.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Kind of hewvy. It likely would eat i to your payload.