Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Induction cooktop
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Induction cooktop

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/19 06:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That just depends on how it is wired. In my motorhome the microwave oven works on the inverter if that is the only available power source. The power for the inverter can come from the batteries (which doesn't work very well) or the main engine alternator. The water heater and air conditioners are not wired to the inverter.

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/19 06:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

wa8yxm wrote:

You need to be a touch more specific.

On my RV I use a portable Induction cooktop and it works fine on the TRUE SINE inverter or generator or shore power.

I know if I buy another TT, I will ask for a propane DELETE ! 1000w-2000W PSW inverter, probably four 6V golf cart batteries and a 2000W generator (or maybe 2) and you should be all set.

Boondocking would require some good solar and generator use for hot water and to be sure the batteries were up for the evening. Good insulation and heated mattress pad will get you through most cool nights. If you boondock below freezing, you will still need a propane furnace. Non-vented propane heaters release too much moisture to be run overnight.

I am thinking seriously about moving from 4 golf cart batteries to 4 Renogy 12V 100ahr lithium iron batteries. The only thing holding me back right now is $3200.

It is never a good idea to run an unvented heater in a small space when everyone is asleep. A lot of things can go wrong.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/19 07:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

That just depends on how it is wired. In my motorhome the microwave oven works on the inverter if that is the only available power source. The power for the inverter can come from the batteries (which doesn't work very well) or the main engine alternator. The water heater and air conditioners are not wired to the inverter.

Your Inverter ALWAYS works from the coach batteries. All the Engine Alternator does is resupply the energy lost from the batteries. If your Inverter does not work very well when the engine is OFF, then you have a problem and that needs to be fixed. Doug

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/19 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

Tiffins do NOT run off the Inverter. Doug

Even if it could run on the inverter (mine will) I crank the generator whenever the DW is going to use it for more than a couple minutes. Instead of depleting the batteries you are charging them with the generator. Same thing for the microwave as it’s a high amp appliance.

A big MH needs a couple hours of generator each day to keep the batteries charged when dry camping.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

08 HR Navigator 45'
Sold 04 Dynasty after 14 great years.
How I tow.
Towing a Prius without a dolly
How I spend the winter.

zb39

slippery rock

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/19 08:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of info. Yes we are looking at coaches again after selling our Zephyr a few years ago. We have never had an induction cooktop before. The coaches we are looking at have built in ones. Wife brought the question up. All coaches are used and are hundreds or thousands of miles from us, so a demo is out until we get there. It's not a deal breaker either way, just curious. We are VERY experienced with battery power and inverters. etc. Have just never had a induction cooktop. Searching the net hasn't helped, nor do the factory brochures or web sites. Just thought I would ask here. Thanks all.

Tiffin Zephyr(sold)
Artic Fox 1150 slide(sold)
2011 DRW 3500 Crewcab Longhorn( sold)
2016 RAM Laramie Limited DRW crew cab(sold)
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2018 RAM 5500 CM, sold
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2018 Nexus Wraith

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/19 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

zb39 wrote:

Lots of info. Yes we are looking at coaches again after selling our Zephyr a few years ago. We have never had an induction cooktop before. The coaches we are looking at have built in ones. Wife brought the question up. All coaches are used and are hundreds or thousands of miles from us, so a demo is out until we get there. It's not a deal breaker either way, just curious. We are VERY experienced with battery power and inverters. etc. Have just never had a induction cooktop. Searching the net hasn't helped, nor do the factory brochures or web sites. Just thought I would ask here. Thanks all.

Remember, the Tiffin Inductions require Induction cookware. Tiffin supplies the correct Cookware. Doug

Blaster Man

USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/19 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

zb39 wrote:

Does an induction cooktop run off of the inverter or is it genset only if not plugged in.

I am referring to a cooktop in a large DP. Tiffin, Newmar, or Berkshire.

thanks

You can run it off any AC outlet that is wired to the inverter. We run the M/W off the inverter and it draws more amps than the induction cooktop.

* This post was edited 02/10/19 03:53pm by Blaster Man *

2014 American Eagle

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/19 06:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

Groover wrote:

Your Inverter ALWAYS works from the coach batteries. All the Engine Alternator does is resupply the energy lost from the batteries. If your Inverter does not work very well when the engine is OFF, then you have a problem and that needs to be fixed. Doug

The inverter is going to pull from whichever source has the higher voltage at that amperage. If the altenator cannot supply enough amperage then inverter will pull from the batteries. Under heavy loads my lead acids lose a lot of voltage so I only run cooking devices while one of the engines is running. And the batteries are only just over a year old. That is part of why I am looking at lithium batteries.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/19 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

dougrainer wrote:

Groover wrote:

The inverter is going to pull from whichever source has the higher voltage at that amperage. If the altenator cannot supply enough amperage then inverter will pull from the batteries. Under heavy loads my lead acids lose a lot of voltage so I only run cooking devices while one of the engines is running. And the batteries are only just over a year old. That is part of why I am looking at lithium batteries.

Well you are wrong. Tell you what, go disconnect the coach batteries and then try to run your Inverter from the Engine Alternator. Doug

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/19 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with Doug on this
Point of inverter connection is the batteries
The alternator simply keeps the voltage ? and hence the current a little higher

If you remove the battery from the circuit and attach the inverter directly to the cables with out the battery, it isn't going to work in almost all RVs
Certainly will not work in mine, going to need an alternator that can maintain 100+ amps at idle speed at full voltage at the connection point, with instant full amps, otherwise the inverter is going to fault and shut off

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Induction cooktop
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS