Did you mean:ย 

Cummins 5.9 Filters

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
2006 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab
5.9 Cummins
150K miles

Just picked up this fine, clean truck and it has to last me a long time.

Would someone please give me the correct Fleetguard air, fuel and oil filter part numbers please?

THANKS for your help.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer
56 REPLIES 56

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gulfcoast wrote:
Oil and filter changed, fuel filter changed... now, what air filter do you recommend for the 2006 5.9?

No K & N filter or similar.

Thanks

FleetGuard or Mopar what ever is less $ as they are the same.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
Gulfcoast wrote:
Oil and filter changed, fuel filter changed... now, what air filter do you recommend for the 2006 5.9?

Thanks

Get the Wix that is 4" thick.

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer

Thanks
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks, I'll tell the guy that bought my truck.

mapguy
Explorer
Explorer
garyp4951 wrote:
mapguy wrote:
Diesel fuel Filtration requirements for a common rail high pressure system are much difference than the requirements for a low pressure mechanical pump system. Both systems are severely damaged by very small amounts of free water in the fuel.

High pressure systems are damaged easily by ~5-7 micron particulate. Especially if emulsified water is also present.

If you want an eye opening read - go to the Bosch website and research cp3/cp4 series pump systems in regards to fuel specifications.

Caterpillar a few years ago did some extensive studies on diesel fuel filtration needs of a high pressure common rail system. These studies are available on the internet with some searching....

On fuel filtration - you cannot get hung up on the "micron rating". It really is a meaningless number unless you have a few more facts. Like the Beta ratio of the filter. Or the nominal and absolute micron ratings.

Most don't understand that the high pressure fuel system really has two contaminate sources that take differing filter media to minimize the risk of injection system failure.

Particulate

Water

The filter in the previous post, if a FF5320, is a 5 micron @ 98.7% efficiency as tested to SAE J 1985 standard. It also does not protect against water.

The FF5320 is a 2 micron filter, as advertised everywhere, and is installed after a 7 micron filter/water separator.
You can reference any stats you like, but thats the listed specs.

Just because it is stated on websites everywhere -it must be true....

Check this page for Cummin's published specifications:
https://catalog.cumminsfiltration.com/catalog/partsearch.do?&reqCmd=PartInformation&partNumber=FF532...
or this url and type in your filter number for specs:
https://catalog.cumminsfiltration.com/catalog/CatalogSearch.do?&criteria=part

IMO use of FF5814 will get you a little better water protection than the FF5320. Also, will do much better in very cold climates due to the synthetic media (nanonet)

I use a Donaldson P553203(short) or P553207(long) filter as it has a better rating both particulate and water trapping as a first filter. It has the same 1-14 thread mount as the filter you are using.
Donaldson specs here:
https://shop.donaldson.com/store/cartridges/ProductAttributes-DCI/?_DARGS=/store/cartridges/ProductA...

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
mapguy wrote:
Diesel fuel Filtration requirements for a common rail high pressure system are much difference than the requirements for a low pressure mechanical pump system. Both systems are severely damaged by very small amounts of free water in the fuel.

High pressure systems are damaged easily by ~5-7 micron particulate. Especially if emulsified water is also present.

If you want an eye opening read - go to the Bosch website and research cp3/cp4 series pump systems in regards to fuel specifications.

Caterpillar a few years ago did some extensive studies on diesel fuel filtration needs of a high pressure common rail system. These studies are available on the internet with some searching....

On fuel filtration - you cannot get hung up on the "micron rating". It really is a meaningless number unless you have a few more facts. Like the Beta ratio of the filter. Or the nominal and absolute micron ratings.

Most don't understand that the high pressure fuel system really has two contaminate sources that take differing filter media to minimize the risk of injection system failure.

Particulate

Water

The filter in the previous post, if a FF5320, is a 5 micron @ 98.7% efficiency as tested to SAE J 1985 standard. It also does not protect against water.

The FF5320 is a 2 micron filter, as advertised everywhere, and is installed after a 7 micron filter/water separator.
You can reference any stats you like, but thats the listed specs.

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Mapguy.... So, what filter do you recommend for a 2006 5.9?
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

mapguy
Explorer
Explorer

Particulate

Water

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
garyp4951 wrote:

Glacier Diesel Power 2 micron filter installed on a 03, 5.9 Cummins, 225k miles with stock injectors.

Yep proof proper filtration works!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III

Glacier Diesel Power 2 micron filter installed on a 03, 5.9 Cummins, 225k miles with stock injectors.

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
twodownzero wrote:
This reminds me, mine could use a new filter. Ordered one on Amazon, the Baldwin.

Amazon is where I get mine now. There is a Filter Service warehouse that strictly sells Baldwin that I pass daily during my commute but their prices are so high. I can get 3 of the Baldwin BT7349 oil filters I use on Amazon for just about the price of two that they sell. Same with the Fuel Filters.

Heck I just bought Rotella from Amazon ๐Ÿ˜‰
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Can't say why, but many on the forum discourage using one of the transmission flushing machines."

TRUE, but I did not recommend "Flushing" I recommended "EXCHANGE" BIG difference.

VERY easy to do and you get virtually all the old fluid out.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Gulfcoast wrote:
I want the best filter for sure. Thanks

What about servicing the transmission, since I just bought it?

Get someone to do a complete fluid "EXCHANGE" and adjust the inner and outer bands. Or do it your self as it's not hard to do at all.

You have to drop the transmission pan to access one of the adjustments for the bands, not the most pleasant of jobs. You will also need a quality low range torque wrench. Best to do this job when changing the transmission filter which is also available from Amazon.

I bought my Ram with 62k miles, it shifted kind of clunky. I dropped the pan, changed the filter and adjusted the bands. I also replaced the pan with one with a drain plug. I filled with Castrol ATF+4 (Amazon) and drove for thirty minutes, drained off 7 quarts and refilled. 100% improved shifting performance. I now splash and fill 7 quarts of ATF every other oil change. really simple.

Can't say why, but many on the forum discourage using one of the transmission flushing machines.

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
twodownzero wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
twodownzero wrote:
Gulfcoast wrote:
My question would be that if Cummins had wanted a 5 or smaller micron filter, would they have required one by Dodge?

Cummins sold the engines to Chrysler with no warranty. Cummins had therefore no interest in what people were running.

The engine is mounted with a Cummins/FleetGuard filter right from Cummins.

Mounted to an engine sold with no warranty.

Was not disputing that! Cummins found out that a better filtration system was needed with the injectors being damaged due to needing smaller micron filtration.

This reminds me, mine could use a new filter. Ordered one on Amazon, the Baldwin.