cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Text to speech

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Any advice on an Android cell phone that will SPEAK when receiving texts? I found a lot of information on speaking that will type in the text but that is not what I want.

It is important to me that a voice speaks when receiving a text to alert me. My current phone flashes a light when a text is received but I don't want to constantly monitor it.

I have friends whose phone will also flash a light when receiving texts but they can not tell me if their phones have this feature.

Not interested in the greatest and expensive features but willing to pay a decent price for that feature.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
24 REPLIES 24

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just tried it out on my Samsung S8+(an Android device). What an annoying thing!!!! It announced every single thing that was going on. Had to double touch every button and icon. Turned it back off after about 5 minutes of that nonsense!:M I guess if you could not see very well it might be useful but it certainly is not for me.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
mich800 wrote:
I am surprised that is not a feature of the Android OS.
It is, I don't know why it isn't on the LG. All the phones I'm familiar with have it.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
I am surprised that is not a feature of the Android OS.

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you figured it out, because that sure was a stumper.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Problem solved but:
LG Premier Tracfone on Verizon towers.

As I said earlier. I found an APP that said : Google text to speech Engine not installed." The App that told me this was not downloaded but provided a link to "Google text to speech Engine'" I installed it and now my text messages speak when being received.

Was the "Google text to speech Engine" uninstalled by mistake? Maybe.

Checked wife's phone and Google text to Speech Engine is installed and she receives spoken text.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
And again, do you hear a notification sound when you have a phone message?

I know you are not asking about the ringing of the phone. I am just trying to find out if you hear other notification sounds.

Why not just take your phone to a service store for help...Verizon, T-Mobil, Att or whichever service you have...which you haven't told us. Or call your provider. They may be able to help you by phone.
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Again, what model of phone is it? I simply find it very hard to believe you have an Android smart phone that doesn't have a sound for text messages. Even a $39 LG should have that. You shouldn't need an app for that and you definitely don't need text to speech. It's handy, but your phone should have a built-in sound for texts.

Please post what model it is, it's very hard to help without knowing what it is. Like trying to troubleshoot an engine without know whether it's gas or diesel.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Janss wrote:
Yes, might help to know which phone and service you have. Also, do you hear a sound to notify you that you have a phone message? Do you hear your phone ring?

On my 3-yr old Motorola Android I go to Settings > Sound & Notification. Then make sure the "Notification volume" slider is up loud enough and the "Default notification ringtone" is set to one of the built-in sounds.

My phone rings on incoming calls without a problem and is not what I am asking. I checked every thing in Settings like several suggested but nothing about the phone.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Okay, now I'm totally confused. Are you saying your Android phone has no sound to notify you of an incoming text? Exactly which phone and service do you have?

Yes that is what I said.
I have still been trying to find answers and downloading App after App from Goggle, finding they do not work and then continuing with another. I came upon one App that said it could not be downloaded because;"Google Text-to speech Engine was not installed:. It brought me to that link, I installed it and now receive texts that speak the name (contact) or phone number if not a contact and the message out.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't care for the default notification sounds available on my LG Stylo 3, so I used a ringtone maker website to create a ringtone using the opening bars of "Down in the Boondocks". The only problem with it is occasionally Sirius/XM plays the song when I'm listening to "60's on 6", and I have to check and see which device it's coming from. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, might help to know which phone and service you have. Also, do you hear a sound to notify you that you have a phone message? Do you hear your phone ring?

On my 3-yr old Motorola Android I go to Settings > Sound & Notification. Then make sure the "Notification volume" slider is up loud enough and the "Default notification ringtone" is set to one of the built-in sounds.
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Go to settings you should be able to program a sound.. I have several programmed sounds from the opening of a song (Default ring tone is Hope Eyre I can all but guarantee it is unique to me. Tom Smith version) To and old fashion alarm clock BEEP BEEP Bling.. and a host of others are already programmed in (i had to add Mr. Smith's piece). Works The alarm I use for SMS and MMS is unique to MESSGES. nothign else sounds like it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Charlie D. wrote:
I could accept a sound instead of voice. Anything to alert me to an incoming text except a flashing light. Checked all the settings, changed sound, searched the internet. When Googling for text to speech all I get is speak to text which I have and do not use.
Okay, now I'm totally confused. Are you saying your Android phone has no sound to notify you of an incoming text? Exactly which phone and service do you have?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
Friend has a old style flip phone that SAYS 'incoming call' Or 'message' from 'name' or 'phone #' ~Kinda cool dont have to go across the room to se if ya want to answer. So I know it is out there JUS DO NOT KNO which phone. SORRY