cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How much snow....?

freewayrandy
Explorer
Explorer
Have you allowed to build up on your rig before climbing up and clearing it off? Got real worried with 18+ inches of Sierra cement and finally did it. Wasn't easy but what a relief!
2022 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax/Allison, 2024 Cougar 27SGS
12 REPLIES 12

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
The snow load on RV roof topic comes up quite often. Over on nuwa forums some years back someone posted a picture of a Denver, CO area RV dealers lot full of trailers/motor homes with over 3' of snow on their roofs.

How heavy is snow....how heavy is a rock....it all depends
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
MFL wrote:
Many FW roofs are considered to be walkable, or at least advertised as such. Most have a ladder for easy access. IMO, if a 200 lb man can stand on it, with no feeling of give, a moderate snow load will not be a problem.

When the temp is such to cause thaw, I like to push the snow off, using a tall step ladder, and my garage broom, with a 7.5' handle on it. I feel the thaw/freeze cycle is more damaging than the weight, of one to two feet of snow.

Jerry

I agree. Figure that a roof is rated for, at minimum, a 200 lb man. Average man's shoe size is about a 10. From what I've found, that equates to about 31 sq in area. Doing the math, that gives a load of about 6.4 lbs/sq in. Convert to sq ft and you have 921+ lbs/sq ft load carrying ability...in theory. 921 lbs theoretical load capacity would equal a column of WATER 14+ feet deep. Do I think that the roof, as a whole, would carry that? Hell, no, but given an =average= weight of snow of 12.5 lbs/cu ft, the roof would hold a pretty decent snow load with no problems...structurally. Skylights and vents would be the weakest points, IMO.

(I am NOT writing a graded term paper, so look up your own citations like I did. :B)

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Many FW roofs are considered to be walkable, or at least advertised as such. Most have a ladder for easy access. IMO, if a 200 lb man can stand on it, with no feeling of give, a moderate snow load will not be a problem.

When the temp is such to cause thaw, I like to push the snow off, using a tall step ladder, and my garage broom, with a 7.5' handle on it. I feel the thaw/freeze cycle is more damaging than the weight, of one to two feet of snow.

Jerry

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Snow load design for RVs is a good question. Houses are built different ways depending on where they are due to anticipated snowfall but since an RV has wheels, no one knows where it will be. Realistically, the roof span is pretty small so it's not hard to just over-build them. Of course, over-build is not a term typically associated with RVs so who knows? Good question though.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
This is one of the reasons I pony up and pay for indoor storage for the fiver and boat for the winter. That plus the freeze/thaw cycles and the massive amount of rain we get here on the wet coast. I love how they come out in the spring looking exactly as they went in the fall! :B
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
Might not be an easy answer to find but knowing what the designed live load of the roof would give a person an idea how many pounds per square foot the roof could take. 1 cubic foot of water weighs approx. 62 pounds. So, wet snow versus powder would also make a huge difference.

Adverage 1inch liquid equals 10" of snow so super daves wt per cu ft 120" for every 10 sq ft at 1 inch of snow on your roof equals 64lbs. or for my rig 1920lbs for every inch of the white stuff.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
One of my buddies parked his motorhome under a metal carport cover. Unfortunately, the cover wasn't rated for much of a snow load, it collapsed and crushed the roof of his motorhome. A case where it would have been better to be uncovered than covered.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

I have always thought this way -

ALL those dealers in NW NY State where the lake effect snows get turned on, or anywhere with heavy snow fall for that matter.. NONE get on and clean the roof that I know of...

Since I am still somewhat young, I will use a rubber squeegee if the snow pack gets DEEP.... just to clean off the outter 2' or 3' to allow the water to escape

I always am more concerned with the re freeze and thawing causing water to run into places it usually wouldn't..

Done that once or twice over the years is all....
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
Mine along with a couple hundred other rigs sits in a yard all winter. No one comes and cleans them off.

Never seen a rig flattened yet due to regular snow loads including up along Lake Huron where we kept our camper for a few years.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Super Dave, has the answer! Too bad.....it wasnโ€™t the $64,000 question! ๐Ÿ˜‰
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Might not be an easy answer to find but knowing what the designed live load of the roof would give a person an idea how many pounds per square foot the roof could take. 1 cubic foot of water weighs approx. 62 pounds. So, wet snow versus powder would also make a huge difference.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Bill1374
Explorer
Explorer
Way back when, I had a Newmar fifth that stayed north during the winter. We had some big snows that left near 4 foot of snow on the roof. Called Newmar and talked to one of their engineers who advised that that quantity would not be a problem except for the roof vents, particularly when melting started.
Went out and shoveled the roof and felt tired but better.
Now, being retired, i've found that it very rarely snows here in Florida.
KZ Montego Bay in Florida
Rockwood lite up north
2016 HD Street Glide, 12 Fatboy for cruisin