cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Finally......a good way to carry extra gas (mod)!

threeaces
Explorer
Explorer
I wanted to share a simple modification (addition), but one that solves a huge problem.

I recently bought an Arctic Fox 811 and opted to order it with the generator compartment, but without the generator. My reasons were cost, noise, and the fact that I really like my Yamaha 2000w generator. I knew this would be a great place to transport the Yamaha, but like many of us truck camper owners struggled to figure a good way to carry extra gas.

Tonight I installed a 3 gallon RotoPax can and locking mount. I wasnโ€™t crazy about drilling into the side of my new camper so I opted to mount to the rear access door. I figured if I make a mistake mounting it would be far less toutble than making a mistake drilling into the main siding. Also, the location worked well with being out of the way from the ladder, steps, propane bbq, etc.

Here are some pictures. Note, I reinforced the inside of the door with sheet metal. Handling the weight seems like it wonโ€™t be an issue.

Derek
Wife & 2 boys
2017 Dodge 3500 SRW Quad Cab SB diesel
Hellwig sway bar, Firestone Airbags, Stableloafs, Vision 19.5 wheels w/ Toyo M920โ€™s.
2019 Arctic Fox 811, Torklift holding everything down.
2010 20โ€™ Willie Predator w/ 200 hp jet
1979 Honda Trail 90
62 REPLIES 62

threeaces
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocreek wrote:
threeaces...Excellent mod..I have been looking for something similar for when I do not tote my ATV trailer with me..I was interested in some sort of ladder rack mod to carry a gas can or possibly the little gen set..No luck so far..

I travel almost exclusively on FS dirt roads and dust is an issue for anything in the rear..When I use a hitch haul I put everything in garbage bags to protect it from the heavy dust and dirt..For just saw gas I use the wheel wells but there not large enough for anything larger than say a 2-3 gal container..

Again..Excellent mod..Thanks for posting it for ideas for my solo adventures without trailer...

I also like the other photo of the bumper mod for two gas jugs...

I thought long and hard about some sort of ladder rack but there is just too many issues with that........in the way as you enter the camper, makes it difficult to use the ladder, and my ladder flips up to access the generator compartment. In the end just not a good place for it. Also, with it on the ladder, it would most likely hang past the bumper. At least where itโ€™s at now, the bumper provides a little protection as it sits โ€œinsideโ€ the verticals bumper line.

The dirt road traveling will still be an isdue. I totally know what you are talking about with things getting dirty. I carry a car wash type brush with me and with my extension hose do a quick clean when I get to camp. Just makes it nice to not battle dirt on the back while camping. Seems I end up rubbing against something and getting dirty. I know....Iโ€™m a wimp!
Derek
Wife & 2 boys
Hellwig sway bar, Firestone Airbags, Stableloafs, Vision 19.5 wheels w/ Toyo M920โ€™s.
1979 Honda Trail 90

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
I was a tow truck driver for seven years and never went to a crash where someoneโ€™s gas can burned.
I canโ€™t even cite an example Iโ€™ve ever heard of.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:
So... where should people carry gas cans? On the front seat? Roof rack?
What is this mythical protected place?

Stepside Dually....We need one for protection from doom and gloom..

I carried 5 gallon GI cans on each side of my old GMC stepside.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
threeaces...Excellent mod..I have been looking for something similar for when I do not tote my ATV trailer with me..I was interested in some sort of ladder rack mod to carry a gas can or possibly the little gen set..No luck so far..

I travel almost exclusively on FS dirt roads and dust is an issue for anything in the rear..When I use a hitch haul I put everything in garbage bags to protect it from the heavy dust and dirt..For just saw gas I use the wheel wells but there not large enough for anything larger than say a 2-3 gal container..

Again..Excellent mod..Thanks for posting it for ideas for my solo adventures without trailer...

I also like the other photo of the bumper mod for two gas jugs...
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

threeaces
Explorer
Explorer
ticki2 wrote:
burningman wrote:
Good question , unfortunately no universal answer . Something to think about , A third of all of all accidents are rear end collisions . A driver almost never has control over being rear ended so your fate is in someone else's hands . Not a pleasant thought .

Fair to say two-thirds of accidents are not rear end collisions too.
Derek
Wife & 2 boys
1979 Honda Trail 90

bcbigfoot
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for the double post, not sure what just happened.
2002 Dodge 3500 2wd dually, cummins, 4.10 gears, 10500gvwr, Rancho 9000's shocks
2005 Bigfoot 259.6E, 80watt solar, eu2000 Honda gen., 2x group 31 AGM bats., 7100 btu aircond, electric rear step.

bcbigfoot
Explorer
Explorer
bcbigfoot wrote:
ticki2 wrote:
burningman wrote:
Good question , unfortunately no universal answer . Something to think about , A third of all of all accidents are rear end collisions . A driver almost never has control over being rear ended so your fate is in someone else's hands . Not a pleasant thought .

I agree the idea of putting one's fate in the hands of other's is not pleasent, however everyday we use the streets and motorways that is exactly what one does. I just prefer to have my fuel towards the rear of my auto as opposed to the front where over half of all collisions occur and where my forward momentum and a fan won't suck in fuel and spray it over the engine and occupant compartment with it's many ignition sources.
2002 Dodge 3500 2wd dually, cummins, 4.10 gears, 10500gvwr, Rancho 9000's shocks
2005 Bigfoot 259.6E, 80watt solar, eu2000 Honda gen., 2x group 31 AGM bats., 7100 btu aircond, electric rear step.

bcbigfoot
Explorer
Explorer
ticki2 wrote:
burningman wrote:

I agree the idea of putting one's fate in the hands of other's is not pleasent, however everyday we use the streets and motorways that is exactly what one does. I just prefer to have my fuel towards the rear of my auto as apposed to the front where over half of all collisions occur and where my forward momentum and a fan won't suck in fuel and spray it over the engine and occupant compartment with it's many ignition sources.

SageCrispin
Explorer
Explorer
From a practical, day to day aspect, I think the tank exposed to bright, direct sun is something that makes the rear bumper less desirable. I've always done what I can to keep spare gas in the shade. It's another reason that I have always questioned the "required" red color-certainly not very reflective. This leads to venting. My off-the-shelf cans are sealed in transport. Lots of pressure build up on the way back from the gas station since the gas from the ground tanks always heats up in the can. Of course, once you vent it, the vapors are available to random ignition sources.
We've run out in the house, but the RV has two.

Damon Challenger.
Jeep Unlimited toad

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, itโ€™s still there. Just checking. :w

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Bedlam wrote:
Ford trucks also used have the gas tank behind the seat inside the cab. My friend's truck was cobbled together with a couple different model years, so he had two tanks with individual fillers in the bed and the third in his cab.

Another issue with the side by sides is the exhaust is right under the cargo area. If your spare gas tanks leak, you have a combustion source just waiting for that gasoline.

GM also had the gasoline tanks mounted outboard of the frame rails (side saddle tanks) causing them to leak if you were hit broadside. I never heard of a remediation for that design but know there were some high dollar law suits due to it.

Yes once upon a time tanks were located in lots of questionable places.
Overtime the power of the lawsuit has taught the manufacturer's to protect the tanks and keep them inside the frame rails for the most part...I think we can all agree to that.
Yet many think carrying an exposed portable tank on the rear is OK.
I'm not saying the sky is falling. I have done riskier things myself. Nevertheless carrying an unprotected plastic gas can on the rear is not the best idea. I would simply seek a location with less exposure than the rear.
No every Pinto did not blow up, but there were enough fires that the rear end collision became a major part of the Pinto's legacy and always will be.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
wnjj wrote:
mkirsch wrote:
This is caused by people watching too many old episodes of "CHiPS" on MeTV. If you believe what you see on that show, ANY car explodes into a ball of flames from even the slightest tap.

https://youtu.be/-9GGDOUDLhc

Sadly, that's what many people think actually happens. "Tink.... BOOM!"

If only people understood what conditions are required for a FIRE, let alone a full-on explosion, they'd realize how silly this whole conversation is. Any talk of "chemistry" makes people's heads swoon; they go glassy-eyed and slack-jawed at the slightest mention of even the basic concepts. Toooooo complicated! Gas in gas tank safe! Gas in gas can not safe! Gas make fire! Gas make boom-boom! Fire bad! Boom-boom bad! Gas bad!

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.