cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Honda or Yamaha inverter generator?

GreysonY
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking into buying a new generator. Haven't decided between Honda and Yamaha yet. I'm looking for some insight to help make my decision. One of the models I'm looking at is the Yamaha ef2400ishc. This generator doesn't have the option to turn the eco-mode off. So my question is when using your generator to charge batteries through a G series inverter are you able to charge with the eco-mode on or do you need the generator running full speed To catch the load without losing the inverters lock on the generator.

inverterreview.com
24 REPLIES 24

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
Shop by price!

Enjoy!
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
2manytoyz wrote:
I have the Yamaha EF2400iS. It's the predecessor to the EF2400iSHC. The new model has an even higher starting capacity than the 2400iS.

That said, there's very little I can't run with mine. When it was introduced, it was designed to do what a single Honda 2KW cannot. It will reliably start, run, and restart a roof top A/C unit with a high head pressure.

I'm one of those who has successfully been able to repeatedly start a variety of 13,500 BTU A/C units, each equipped with a Supco SPP6 hard start capacitor, with the 2 different Honda EU2000i gensets that I've owned. The catch was that I'm only at ~ 250' above sea level and if temps rose beyond ~ 85F then the genset finally did reach the limits of it's ability to start these A/C units. No question about it, Yamaha's EF2400iS and it's improved EF2400iSHC both filled a gap that Honda never addressed - until now, with the recent introduction of Honda's new EU2200i which is MUCH smaller and lighter than an EF2400iSHC. If I were buying another genset so I could power an RV A/C, recharge the trailer batteries, and as back up power for the house I'd this time around invest in a new EU2200i and spend the extra $$$ not spent on the more costly EF2400iSHC instead on equipping the A/C with a MicroAir Easy Start Soft Starter Kit, the combination of which have been proven to work quite well for this task even when elevation increases and ambient temps are quite high.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Yamaha EF2400iS. It's the predecessor to the EF2400iSHC. The new model has an even higher starting capacity than the 2400iS.

That said, there's very little I can't run with mine. When it was introduced, it was designed to do what a single Honda 2KW cannot. It will reliably start, run, and restart a roof top A/C unit with a high head pressure.

Here's some of the testing I've done with mine: http://www.2manytoyz.com/yamaha2400.html

It doesn't NEED an eco switch. It has the same sized motor as the 2800W, and 3000W models. Has plenty of grunt to get the A/C compressor spinning. The motor only runs as fast as the load demands.

I've used an Iota 75A charger with this generator to recharge a solar battery bank at home. The pic shows a 13.56A @ 120VAC continuous load on the generator, while the Iota charger is supplying 74.4A @ 12VDC to the battery bank.

I purchased this generator in 2006, and it still works flawlessly. I bought it initially to run the 13,500 BTU A/C unit on our travel trailer. It's really nice to be able to run the A/C at rest stops here in the South in the middle of Summer.

It's also served as emergency power during our recent hurricanes. I used it to run a 12,000 BTU portable A/C unit, a fridge, TV, lights, fan, etc.

Unless you have a constant heavy load, this thing sips fuel. It'll run for 8+ hours on 1.6 gallons of fuel. "I" have never found need of an extended run kit, though they ARE available. My coworker bought one for his. It uses a new gas cap, with a float switch, and an external fuel pump. It keeps the onboard fuel tank full. I prefer to check on my generator every 8 hours.

If my generator died today, I'd buy the new version of the same generator. Heck of a good price here: https://amzn.to/2TWabqb
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
wanderingbob,

Does the Predator have a fuel pump?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Champion should be on your list , half the price and I have not found anything that I do not like with my 3400 . For years I have cried poor mouth on the Predator , but as I travel and work at Craft events all over the south I see many satisfied customers with Predators , half the price of a Champion and 30% of a Honda !

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the part at the heart of the kit, connect it to any pressure / suction line on the motor (crank case vent, air box, etc)

Impulse pump

grab some fuel hose and plumbing fittings at the local auto parts or big box store, and maybe an inline fuel filter.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

The Pinella is $249.00.

Bionic Man wrote:

The lack of an easy extended run tank is a huge disadvantage of the Yamaha. The only option I have found is close to $500.

X2 to run parallel. At least that is what I was quoted.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

The Pinella is $249.00.

Bionic Man wrote:

The lack of an easy extended run tank is a huge disadvantage of the Yamaha. The only option I have found is close to $500.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bionic Man wrote:
The only advantage that I can think of to the Yamaha is that they do have a fuel shut off valve so it is easy to run the carb dry when you are storing them.

If I were buying today, I would buy Honda.

The Honda does two things when you turn the knob to off, it shuts off the fuel flow, and it grounds out the spark plug so it stops immediately. I took the cover panel off of my Honda, and unplugged the wire that grounds out the spark plug. Now, my Honda ONLY shuts off the fuel flow when I turn it off, so it runs the carb dry.

The downside to that is it takes a few extra pulls of the cord to crank it the next time because it also has to fill the carb with gas.

(I bought an ON/OFF switch from Hutch Mountain so I can mount a separate switch to ground out the spark plug if I want. That way I can use the switch to keep from draining the carb if I know I am going to be using the generator again soon. However, I am not going to install that switch until the generator is out of warranty.)
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2 Yamaha 2Ks and if I had to do it over again I'd buy Hondas.
The Yamahas are now built in China.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:

The kits are crazy over priced, it's like $20 worth of parts they're selling for $200+

The little impulse pump is cheap from ebay/amazon/your local farm store
The fuel hose and plumbing fittings, also cheap and easily sourced.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I have two of the Yamaha 2000s.

Yamaha put them together without any thread lock on any of the screws, which isn't a big deal, but it is a pain when the screws vibrate out and are lost.

I use mine in parallel to power our houseboat usually two trips per year. I would guess they have less than 1000 hours on them, and I do change the oil after every trip (which is less than 70 hours). One of my generators is now burning oil.

The only advantage that I can think of to the Yamaha is that they do have a fuel shut off valve so it is easy to run the carb dry when you are storing them.

If I were buying today, I would buy Honda.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Gordon3,

I believe Pinella's sells an aftermarket extended run time tank. It is pricey.
Regards, Don

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Do any of these low cost Honda alternatives have a fuel pump, or is it exclusive to Honda?