cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our new Freedom Express 192 RBS

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went from in 3-4 years getting a big 5th wheel for retirement, to being forced into a F150 (long long story) and SWMBO saying, why wait, lets get something smaller now and start traveling.

3 years ago, we bought a 19' Terry, loved it, went to one campground and literally never left, bought a park model, sold the travel trailer, knowing eventually we'd travel again.

Keeping the park model, supplementing it with this beauty! She's already named it Love Shack II 🙂

Was going to post a pic, guess I better go see if there's a FAQ.
15 REPLIES 15

Westcoasting
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
SoundGuy wrote:
A very practical choice! 🙂

You might find some useful ideas here.

philh wrote:
Lot of great ideas.

The PVC pipe, what is on the end of it?

What is the "cup" and how is it attached to the shower wall?

Finally, the the PVC tube bent with heat or just bent?

The "cup" is just a plastic part I found at Home Depot, probably in the plumbing department. I put a little shrink wrap on each end of the PVC tubing so it would better fit into the cup. The PVC tube is just 1/2" so it just bends naturally.

You did a really good job documenting and taking pictures of all your modifications 🙂

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Philh, something that Soundguy did and I did also is to put the spare tire in the storage bin. My trailer was new (went from manufacturer to dealer to me in less than two weeks) and the spare wheel already had rust on it because it traps moisture.
Watching the techs drop the spare to install the wdh hardware convinced me I didnt want to try to get the spare off the frame on the side of a road. When I got the trailer home and removed the spare I knew I made the right decision!

SoundGuy, Coachmen must have seen the pics of your mods! My 2019 has some of your mods incorporated from the factory.....lower storage near the fridge, detachable power cord. I enjoyed looking through your mods, and it reminded me I need to install an EMS this spring.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:

philh wrote:
Lot of great ideas.

The "cup" is just a plastic part I found at Home Depot, probably in the plumbing department. I put a little shrink wrap on each end of the PVC tubing so it would better fit into the cup. The PVC tube is just 1/2" so it just bends naturally.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
SoundGuy wrote:

Lot of great ideas.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
SoundGuy wrote:

Thank you for the link. Some pretty interesting mods there.

I may of already had a DOH moment, what's this "electric" switch for, left it on for several minutes. Taking a shower in the house this morning... OH ****, THAT'S THE WATER HEATER. Looks like I may be replacing an element 😞

One of the first mods is going to be another outlet off the low pressure gas line, for a camp stove we bought years ago. It's a bit heavy and a lot overkill, but it's an amazing stove. I may also set up the built in grill to run off house propane.

Also putting a lock on the propane tank hold down nut.

Last_Train
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
jfkmk wrote:
I've added shelving to all the cabinets except those over the couch and it's really increased storage space. Still thinking about what to do with the grill space, as we will never use the built in grill.

The supplied grill would only introduce greasy cooking smells into the camper when in the stored position so I replaced it with a Coleman 2-burner stove and instead used our Weber Q for grilling.

This grill discussion reminded me of a whimsical exchange SoundGuy and I had a few years ago . . . Something about meeting somewhere in between Houston and Ontario for a "grill-off," or whatever. He's right about the introduction of greasy cooking smells via a typical grill - including the one that Coachmen supplies with this rig. We immediately replaced that one with a Timber Creek model that we had previously used for years when tent camping. It offers a grill burner/grate on the left side and a single stove top burner on the right. We get the best of two worlds for grilling/cooking. But the great part is that after cool down, it is an easy cleanup and wipe down to remove those greasy cooking smells. We bought this unit at Academy Sports & Outdoors here in Texas. I don't know about it's availability elsewhere, but we do use it quite a lot due to its flexibility. So it does offer an alternative.

jfkmk wrote:
I did ditch the heavy table for a walmart fold up table. Much easier to lift out of storage, can easily fold up to make more room at night, and is actually bigger than the original.

Same here - never used the heavy table that came with the trailer and instead used a couple of easy to store light weight folding TV tables anytime we wanted to eat inside.

We're TV tray people, too. The fold up table that Coachmen supplied for under the bed storage has for a few years now served quite well for my wife as a sewing table inside our house. Besides, Coachmen did provide an additional dining table that is suspended from the ceiling frame of the pass-through. If we need a dining table for inside or out, that's the one we use.
2016 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2018 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
I've added shelving to all the cabinets except those over the couch and it's really increased storage space. Still thinking about what to do with the grill space, as we will never use the built in grill.

The supplied grill would only introduce greasy cooking smells into the camper when in the stored position so I replaced it with a Coleman 2-burner stove and instead used our Weber Q for grilling.

jfkmk wrote:
I did ditch the heavy table for a walmart fold up table. Much easier to lift out of storage, can easily fold up to make more room at night, and is actually bigger than the original.

Same here - never used the heavy table that came with the trailer and instead used a couple of easy to store light weight folding TV tables anytime we wanted to eat inside.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Last Train wrote:
Ours has been essentially fault free with my only real complaint being the OEM tires supplied with the trailer. Those tires didn't make it to 12,000 miles . . . started seeing blown internal belts upon our return from a trip to the Black Hills. I replaced them with a set of Goodyear Endurance tires that have been great. So watch those OEM tires (we've put almost another 6,000 miles on those Goodyears and they hardly look worn at all).

Agree. In our fourth season I returned from a camping trip, parked the trailer on the driveway, and went in the house, an hour later came out to find the front curbside tire totally flat. Later inspection showed that Chinese manufactured OEM tire had split and on the inside there was a large oval where the tire had delaminated. I pulled all 4 tires and replaced them with a set of Goodyear Endurance which are manufactured in the US.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
2018 was the first season we used our FE 192RBS. We found this tt to have everything we need. We really love it! It is just my wife and I traveling, so for us it is the perfect size.

Last_Train
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations on your new rig. I hope you have at least as much enjoyment with yours as we have had since we brought our 2016 home in August, 2015.

This past summer on the way back from a camping trip to the Midwest, we looped up to Elkhart, IN and took a tour of the Freedom Express plant. FWIW, having been around other factory assembly lines (mostly general aviation aircraft), the tour left me feeling pretty good about the way our TTs are put together. Sure, there are jillions of quality complaints from all over the map, but I didn't see any red flags that would give me pause about the manufacturing process of the 192RBS.

Ours has been essentially fault free with my only real complaint being the OEM tires supplied with the trailer. Those tires didn't make it to 12,000 miles . . . started seeing blown internal belts upon our return from a trip to the Black Hills. I replaced them with a set of Goodyear Endurance tires that have been great. So watch those OEM tires (we've put almost another 6,000 miles on those Goodyears and they hardly look worn at all).

Final thought is that the 192RBS has been comfortable and functional enough for us to be on the road for almost a month at a time as well as those short, 3-4 night trips. Got one of those longer trips coming up in May to the southern Rockies in New Mexico, and I promise that we will have no problem enjoying every day while we are in our home on wheels. We really do look forward to planning and carrying out every trip. Hope you do, too.
2016 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2018 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel

jjjandrbaker
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:

Thanks for sharing that again. I get amazed at all the wonders you have done to your camper. I always plan to copy some of them, but I guess I'm just too lazy. I really need those doors under the bed!
Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
Was going to post a pic, guess I better go see if there's a FAQ.

Upload your pic here then paste the url created into your post.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer