Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Nearly new GMC p/up
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Nearly new GMC p/up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
samsontdog

Oregon, Wash Coast summer, Yuma Az winter

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/19 08:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I looked at a 2018 GMC 3/4 p/up today with all the bells and whistles
from a private party. He bought the truck and then he and the wife decided they wanted a MH to take across the East Coast. The truck just turned 6K miles. It has a $2,200 canopy. It has 4x4 and lots of other things. Not a scratch on the truck. I have owned lots of p/ups but never
a GMC. By the way, it has the big gas eng. Can someone tell me the pros and cons on GMC p/ups? He is asking $48,500 and he paid close to $70
It is a beautiful truck and it is reg in Oregon and he will deliver to my home in Calif. I called DMV in Calif and the reg fees would be about
10 percent of the value of the truck Ouch Let me know what you think
good deal or bad

samsontdog">">

ls1mike

Bremerton

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/19 09:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Decent price for a gasser that nice. How heavy are you towing?
Will be the 6.0 6L90E. Proven drivetrain. Really reliable. Do you know what gears?

Mike
2017 Chevy 3500HD 6.0 Crew Cab Long bed
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE
Me, the Wife, two little ones and two dogs.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/19 10:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMO it's as reliable a truck as any. We have a bunch of old 6.0 Chevy pickups at work that have been beat on for a long time and they are pretty bulletproof.
Congrats on the new truck......if you buy it.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/19 05:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That sounds like a good truck. They are very dependable, and pull strong, due to the now standard 4.10 gears. IMO, the original purchase price is a little overstated. It may have listed for 70K, but unlikely the owner paid even close to that. A new one could be purchased for around 50K, maybe less a few options. I'd make an offer, if you really like the truck, but check on line first, to see what a similar new one would cost, out the door cash price.

Jerry

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/19 07:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't keep track of the HD gasser market, but I am of the opinion that on a diesel, it really doesn't pay to buy a one or two year old truck, as they just hold resale value too well.

Unless gassers are completely the opposite of that, the original price of that truck is way overstated.

As suggested above, I would check to see what a new truck would really run you. My gut feeling is that this truck might be a fair price, but not necessarily a great price.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/19 07:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ls1mike wrote:

Decent price for a gasser that nice. How heavy are you towing?
Will be the 6.0 6L90E. Proven drivetrain. Really reliable. Do you know what gears?

IIRC GM only puts the 4.10 with the gas 6.0

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/19 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There really aren't any reliability or mechanical issues with that truck. The drive train is well proven and solid. As for the price, you could buy a new one for that amount of money or less. It may not have all the extras this one does but do you really want to pay more for the extras? Maybe you do. I'd price a similar new one first. Unless you have that much cash laying around I assume you will be financing it. You would likely get a better interest rate on a new truck. The payment on a new one may actually be less.

Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/19 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What does Miss Kelly say about the value? [emoticon]

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/19 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can buy a new SLT gasser for right around 48k maybe little less on a '18 model. Denali would be a bit more. A person can't pay $70k for a gasser unless there including tax and got ripped off on the price and/or up selling.
If it's a Denali, 48k is an ok price. If it's not, it's too much.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/19 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bionic Man wrote:

I don't keep track of the HD gasser market, but I am of the opinion that on a diesel, it really doesn't pay to buy a one or two year old truck, as they just hold resale value too well.

Unless gassers are completely the opposite of that, the original price of that truck is way overstated.

As suggested above, I would check to see what a new truck would really run you. My gut feeling is that this truck might be a fair price, but not necessarily a great price.

As mentioned above that used price is too close to the price of a new one. That is the problem with buying 1-2 years old the price is just too close to the price of a new one to be a bargain or a worthwhile deal.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Nearly new GMC p/up
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.