Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nearly new GMC p/up

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
I looked at a 2018 GMC 3/4 p/up today with all the bells and whistles
from a private party. He bought the truck and then he and the wife decided they wanted a MH to take across the East Coast. The truck just turned 6K miles. It has a $2,200 canopy. It has 4x4 and lots of other things. Not a scratch on the truck. I have owned lots of p/ups but never
a GMC. By the way, it has the big gas eng. Can someone tell me the pros and cons on GMC p/ups? He is asking $48,500 and he paid close to $70
It is a beautiful truck and it is reg in Oregon and he will deliver to my home in Calif. I called DMV in Calif and the reg fees would be about
10 percent of the value of the truck Ouch Let me know what you think
good deal or bad
samsontdog:o:W
27 REPLIES 27

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
I offered the Guy $44K cash yesterday and he said he has been offered more than that. I told him "have a nice day because that is my final offer"

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
My local RAM dealer has literally dozens of '18 model year 2500's and 3500's he's advertising at about $12K off sticker. Only one is a gasser, and I believe that's a tradesman.

The new HD lineup announced by RAM has them dumping the 18's onto the channel.

Best regards,
Chris
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
samsontdog wrote:
I looked at the Truck again today. I offered $44K and he laffed and said "NO WAY"
It is a Denali. I went online and built the Truck. It has every extra that you could order and it came out the high $50s without the matching $2,200 shell.
As far as getting a loan, that's a no-no for me.

If you have the VIN, you can go to CarFax, and see the original window sticker, it will cost about $40.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ Me too.
I'd take a diesel with roll down windows and a rubber floor before a gasser with leather and a touch screen radio.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
For $48k I'd drop the lux **** and buy a new diesel HD. It'll depreciate less and perform far better.

It's amazing that you can't get past a a few posts in a diesel truck thread without all the economic arguments about gas vs diesel coming out, but nobody bats an eye about dropping $50k on a used boat anchor that has leather and bunch of other non-functional luxury junk.

I guess I'm the oddball, but I'm good with that.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
blofgren wrote:
Well, one day I've got to get together with Grit for a few beers and laughs! Your posts make my day, bud! :B

Well, our younger boy is going to be playing spring hockey for the Surrey Jr. Eagles bantam AAA team starting next month.
I'll let you know when we're up your way....but I'm not Canadian so I may have to stop at a couple beeeers....

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
MSRP is $59k and change for a gasser Denali HD. It was only a $48k truck when he pulled it off the dealer's lot last year.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
I thought sticker was $70K here...

The $58K is the current appraised value of the now 1-year-old used truck...

He's only asking $48K? That's a *SMOKIN* deal if you ask me. I can see why he would be a little insulted that you'd try to haggle even further.

So smokin' that I would be concerned about a lein.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

ls1mike
Explorer II
Explorer II
bartlettj wrote:
It's pretty hard to find a good used HD truck here on the west coast that hasn't either been beat up or modified, so people price accordingly. I paid $39k for a pristine '12 a year ago but it was diesel. It's been a great truck, I have no regrets.

I agree stuff out here is priced high, that is why I thought it was a decent price. You have to get away from the Seattle/Portland corridor to get any kind of decent price.
Mike
2024 Chevy 2500HD 6.6 gas/Allison
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE
Me, the Wife, two little ones and two dogs.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Well, one day I've got to get together with Grit for a few beers and laughs! Your posts make my day, bud! :B

OP, probably the best thing to do is let him sit on it. As others have said the deal he's offering is OK but not great and if you are going to spend that much on a truck you may as well buy new.

My guess is once he's had it for a while with no takers chances are he will become more open to negotiation.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ Wow, then I'd tell the old fart to quit being so stingy and give you a deal on it! Tell him he aint gonna last long anyways and his kids are unappreciative, so he should cut you some slack on the price. Can't take it with you!
Lol

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
He loved the truck but they're both in there mid-80s and they want to travel the East Coast. The 38 ft TT was too much to tow so they bought a new MH. I think he
has money to spend as he has a new 3,400 SF home in Oregon and just had a new 4 brm home built here in Yuma

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
samsontdog wrote:
Thanks, everyone for your comments. I still have not decided if I want to pay that much for a slightly used truck. The seller said he gets on the average 14 MPG in Town and the Freeway and he only towed his 10K pd TT once and never checked the mileage. He said he had 3 diesel Ford P/Ups before this GMC. He only kept the trucks about two yrs each before trading them in

So he didn’t like this truck since he didn’t even keep on the 2 year plan....
Decide how much you want to invest in marginal towing performance and low gas mileage and if it’s a good fit for your needs, IMO.

bartlettj
Explorer
Explorer
It's pretty hard to find a good used HD truck here on the west coast that hasn't either been beat up or modified, so people price accordingly. I paid $39k for a pristine '12 a year ago but it was diesel. It's been a great truck, I have no regrets.