cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just bought a Jayco Octane 272. Hitch questions.

CampinginCanada
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased my first toy hauler. I pick it up on 5 April on my way to Florida.
2018 Jayco Octane 272
Length 35’
Dry weight 7545
Gross weight 10500
Dry hitch weight 1020
Expected loaded hitch weight will be 1420 (13.5%)
The dealership is trying to sell me a WD hitch that has 12k max tow and 1200 max tongue weight. Dry it will be fine but loaded it won’t be. I will need a bigger WD hitch and bars. Probably a 15k and a1500 max tongue weight.

My truck is a 2017 Ram 3500 diesel SWB SRW and rear airbags for leveling.
My max payload is 3480 and towing is 17k.
Do I need a WD hitch? If so, do I go with a 15k or 12k one?
Can I just use a class v hitch and ball?
Do I have to worry about the trailer trying to wag its tail or is the truck big enough to control the wag?

Thanks
Fred
2017 Ram 3500 Diesel SWB SRW
2018 Jayco Octane 272
4 REPLIES 4

buffaloKev
Explorer
Explorer
Bought a Dutchmen Endurance 3706, 9600lbs Dry and 14000lb GVWR. We will not need that GVWR mark, 4 bikes and an occasional trip with the golf cart(bought it more for the layout and golf cart). Dealership sold me a 12k/1200 equalizer hitch, had 2 different people assure me 12k was enough. I was looking at the 14k equalizer hitch

CampinginCanada
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I ordered the 14k equalizer WD hitch.
2017 Ram 3500 Diesel SWB SRW
2018 Jayco Octane 272

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
as for type get the Equilizer type the one with the spring bars set in brackets, not the kind with chains. The Equilizer type is built in sway control, much better than the add on sway controls. That is a BIG tag trailer so for sure you need WDH and sway control, even with 3500 IMHO. I'd say their numbers are OK but if there's a step up I'd go there.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
We have no idea what you are going to put in your TH garage, or how the rest of the trailer will be loaded. You are starting out with a heavy hitch wt to offset your likely load. IMO, you are figuring too high on loaded hitch wt, but for a trailer that size I would use a WDH, with built in sway control. You have a stout truck, and I think the 12K WDH will work.

Jerry