Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Slide out permanently out
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Slide out permanently out

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Guy Roan

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/19 04:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 38 footer on a permanent site, and will never move it. The slide is out and will stay out since I have built cabinets into the ends where it would come in.
Even though it is new, I am thinking down the road that I will have to build some sort of a roof over the slide.
Has any one done this ? I am looking for ideas and how you did yours?

Guy

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/19 04:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe something like this...incorporate a deck into the plan also.

[image]
(Google image snip)

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/19 04:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have seen it done.. Have some friends who did it. and was parked next (well 2 sites over) from someone who did it. The concept was very much like your example.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

TenOC

On the road -- Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/19 05:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the roof is OK why go the the expense. The cost of the "shed" is about what a "replacement" used TT would cost.

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/19 06:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm with downtheroad... if its a permanent site, consider purchasing a carport type structure or building some type of roof over the entire trailer. That will keep the entire structure cleaner and more protected from the elements.

Another option is to simply add awnings over your slide, which will protect them.

I have seen (though I didn't get close enough to inspect) people using the corrugated plastic roofing over their slide outs. From what I recall, it was mounted just underneath the drip rail that goes over the slide. Not sure how it was attached though.

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Giltex

Gilmer, Tx

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/19 08:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have our 23'parked under a wide, tall RV cover at our lake lot. The slide fits just inside the edge drip. On the door side I have built a deck to fit inside the cover. If it rains we can sit on the deck under cover. The cover was only about $1400, and I figure that is cheap insurance for roof maintenance and falling limbs.

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/19 08:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just slightly off topic but is it resting on concrete blocks or railroad ties with the tires off?

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Guy Roan

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/19 04:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dick_B wrote:

Just slightly off topic but is it resting on concrete blocks or railroad ties with the tires off?

The tires are on, but I have it leveled and on concrete block piers with hurricane tie downs.

I also have a concrete block pier under each outside corner of the slide, and in leveling the slide, that is the future problem I see.
The slide was designed to have the roof slope toward the outside, (which is natural), but in leveling it,(so the inside floor is level with the rest of the trailer) it now slopes toward the inside and even though ninty percent of the rain flows off the ends, there is always a small puddle left up against the rubber gasket of the trailer. There is no problem with leaking now, but I can see were it could happen in the future

Guy

mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/19 06:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had not done it with ours, but have seen others that have. One gentleman I talked to had done it to a brand new Lodge Destination Trailer, I think built by Forest River. He built a roof over each slide out (his had 3), not a car port type cover. He did put a vent on the sides to keep moisture out. I can't remember the specifics, but he basically framed the top of the slide with 2x4s and built the roof up from that. I don't recall how he attached it to the side of the camper, but he did make them so they can be removed if need be. I will see if I can dig up a picture.

-Michael

Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

MNGeeks61

Minneapolis, MN

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/19 07:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a 40 foot destination trailer on a lot in a seasonal site. We chose to build a roof over it high enough that we also got about 12 by 24 of covered deck space. It was not cheap, we spent about $7500 on it which only included framing in the 4 x 4's. He added posts so we had the ability to frame out screens every 33 inches.

About 4 years later, my wife decided she wanted a park model instead of the much less insulated destination trailer so we weren't nearly as cold in the fall (or using a 30 lb tank of propane in a weekend) We were able to sell the trailer itself for above book as it had been protected quite well from the elements for 4 years, BUT we could not recoup any of the money spent on the deck/cover.

So be sure you're building that cover with the possibility you may have to replace your travel trailer down the road...many years later.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Slide out permanently out
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS