cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ford's new 7.3 Super Duty Gas Engine for 2020

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
I have been reading and watching videos about Fords new 7.3 gasser. I feel that it will be a very capable and dependable engine for the Super Duty line. I am still running a 2004 6.0 and it has been on of the good ones. It will be interesting to see what ratings Ford puts on this new Gasser. I was wondering what people on this sight thought of this new engine.
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!
25 REPLIES 25

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
6.2Superduty wrote:
I like the idea of going back to push rods in the 7.3.Keep it simple.

So all the big 3 have pushrod engines in their lineup again?
Everything that is old is new again!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
Just rolled over 300,000 miles on my 7.3 diesel.

Puddles
Explorer
Explorer
Imbriaco wrote:
I’m thrilled to death with our 2001 7.3 power stroke diesel F350! 168k miles and going strong.

Every day I avoid a replacement (at $80k +) is a blessing imo!!????

Hey... I put 358K on a 1999... keep the oil & filter changed... great motor
HTML

6_2Superduty
Explorer
Explorer
I like the idea of going back to push rods in the 7.3.Keep it simple.

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
I am gonna honk down the road with my ole 6.2 and let someone else try out the new engine for the first year.

me also, but hoping its several years down the road for me. my 6.2 just clicked 20 k miles

danrclem
Explorer
Explorer
I have a hunch that it's going to be a great engine. It could still have some teething issues but I don't expect them to amount to much. That said even if I were in the market for a new truck I wouldn't buy one until they had at least a couple model years out just in case.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
mich800 wrote:
Groover wrote:

Ford didn't go through this development process just to match the V10. The 7.3 is expected to exceed the V10 in torque and fuel economy plus probably power and may be less expensive, at least to build.

That is true. Plus, I don’t understand the comment about not testing it. Just because you are not seeing Superduty trucks driving around with an overt 7.3 badge doesn’t mean they are not out on the roads this very minute.

As is quoted above! “Expected” that does not say “it will”. We don’t know how well it is yet. As of right now, it’s only guesses as to how it’s longevity is going to be. Until it’s proven other wise, I will hold off on calling it a better engine!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Groover wrote:

Ford didn't go through this development process just to match the V10. The 7.3 is expected to exceed the V10 in torque and fuel economy plus probably power and may be less expensive, at least to build.

That is true. Plus, I don’t understand the comment about not testing it. Just because you are not seeing Superduty trucks driving around with an overt 7.3 badge doesn’t mean they are not out on the roads this very minute.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
dodge guy wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
filrupmark wrote:
I have been reading and watching videos about Fords new 7.3 gasser. I feel that it will be a very capable and dependable engine for the Super Duty line. I am still running a 2004 6.0 and it has been on of the good ones. It will be interesting to see what ratings Ford puts on this new Gasser. I was wondering what people on this sight thought of this new engine.

I think it's going to be a jewel and with the 10 speed it's going to be the engine the 6.8V10 wished it could have been.

You mean the 7.3 is hoping it can be everything the V-10 was and still is.......bullet proof and reliable as hell!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Can you say 7.3 Boss Mustang?
Good bye Hellcat....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
filrupmark wrote:

I think it's going to be a jewel and with the 10 speed it's going to be the engine the 6.8V10 wished it could have been.

x2. Looking at the specs and design, it is looking like it will not only be more powerful that the 6.8L, but just as if not more reliable. Being mated to a 10-speed with three overdrive gears is another huge plus.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
filrupmark wrote:

You mean the 7.3 is hoping it can be everything the V-10 was and still is.......bullet proof and reliable as hell!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
filrupmark wrote:

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
It sounds like a well designed tough engine but I'd go with the 6.7 diesel for the few extra pennies.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5