Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Brother in Law wants to not get in financial trouble
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Brother in Law wants to not get in financial trouble

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/19 05:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tom/Barb wrote:

Mondooker wrote:

First thing we did was limit the search to gassers as they are much less expensive to maintain.
What do you guys think?

Diesels are not more to maintain, they cost more to buy because they are better at the job than a gasser.

Sorry, but after 25 years(that's when Diesel motorhomes became mass produced) of dealing with Diesels versus gassers, having a Diesel just is like the difference between a Hi line Mercedes and a Cadillac. BOTH will do the job, but you pay more for the Mercedes because you can afford it. NOT because the Mercedes does a "better" job. Same with Diesels. I have had scores of customers(usually fulltimers) that have traded in Diesels for Gassers because they realized they had in excess of 50k invested in the Diesel upgrade cost from a gasser and that cost just sat there when they were camping. These are people that drive less than 10k a year which is the norm. If you want ALL the bells and whistles(added weight) in your Motorhome, then Diesel is the way to go. Doug

Campfire Time

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/19 06:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have they ever RVed before? Travel trailer, rented? Financial trouble is when you buy something expensive, even within your budget, and realize later that it's not your cup of tea. Then having to sell and take a loss.

I recommend they rent one for a week or more to see if it's really the lifestyle they want.

Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid, 2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/19 06:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess the answer to the question about affordability is, IF I HAVE TO ASK, THEN I CANNOT AFFORD IT.[emoticon] I remember watching a cable show about people buying small personal jets and a potential client started asking about how much fuel the jet used and the cost of fuel and the show salesman told him, that with those kinds of questions he could not afford it. Doug

Mondooker

Florida Gulf Coast

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/19 07:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi guys,

I thank you one and all for your comments. I thought when I said “gassers only” may get your attention. I’ve never owned a gasser but have been in many of them. And the old story is true that they are all about the same when parked. And there is much truth in that. Everything you said about a diesel pusher is right and that’s why I own one. I just felt with all things being equal. A gasser gives you a better chance of staying within $$ reason than a diesel.

And when one of you said “drive about 10,000 miles, that is just about right. And nothing will get you from point A to point B like a diesel pusher. I’m only saying if something goes wrong, as they often do, a gasser will be less to fix than a diesel. I know there are always exceptions but I think that’s mostly true.

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/19 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think most of us spend about 95% of our RV'ing time living in our motorhomes rather than driving them. That makes the floorplan and overall "livability" more important to me than the breed of horses that get us there.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Cider

Central Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/19 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A V10 motorhome is (generally) less expensive than a diesel MH in almost all aspects - initial cost, maintenance, and repairs due to engine issues. The diesel will tow a larger toad, pull a grade better than a gasser. But, if something goes south with the engine - Buckle Up Betty! It is going to be expensive. Maintenance and repair cost were the deciding factors for me going to a V10 in a class A. I also got rid of a Mercedes Sprinter because required maintenance costs at the dealer was getting out of hand. With the kind of money you are talking about, you should be able to buy a quality used Class A with a V10, especially if you have cash in hand.The newer V10's do a great job and the mpg is not that much less than the diesels.

oldave

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/19 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Executive wrote:

To say nothing of the quietness of having the engine in the rear on a diesel. You can actually have regular conversation while underway. [emoticon]...Dennis

If one test drives both types for any distance the quietness of the
diesel is so noticeable it sells a lot of diesels .
On the other hand the roar all day long of a gas rig can literally
wear you out , that alone would not keep me from RVing though .

RVing is not fun for some people so they should make sure it is for
them before dumping 80 grand . I know people that can well afford
any RV they want but they don't want one, its just not their thing
$80 thousand will buy lots of trips and cruises .

Any advise you give could back fire on you if they end up in
" Financial Trouble ".

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/19 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cider wrote:

A V10 motorhome is (generally) less expensive than a diesel MH in almost all aspects - initial cost, maintenance, and repairs due to engine issues. The diesel will tow a larger toad, pull a grade better than a gasser. But, if something goes south with the engine - Buckle Up Betty! It is going to be expensive. Maintenance and repair cost were the deciding factors for me going to a V10 in a class A. I also got rid of a Mercedes Sprinter because required maintenance costs at the dealer was getting out of hand. With the kind of money you are talking about, you should be able to buy a quality used Class A with a V10, especially if you have cash in hand.The newer V10's do a great job and the mpg is not that much less than the diesels.

I have yet to see what you describe in maintenance costs.
We have put 60,000 miles on our 8.3 Cummins, in 10 years of ownership. Yes it does require 24 qts of oil and a 70 dollar filter each 15,000 miles. another expenses we have spent have nothing to do with it being a diesel.
On the freeway, I set the cruise control at 60-65, place the transmission in economy and it will turn in about 10 MPG.
I have yet to find a hill that's a problem.

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/19 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you’re looking at gas, which I agree is cheaper to buy and maintain, try for a 2016 and up for the six speed trans with the V10.

We are looking to switch from a DP to a 2016-2017 gas Bounder 35K, 1.5 bath, king bed, washer/dryer. Look for the XL option which gives you chrome mirrors and latches, 7000 Watt genset, king bed, power cord reel, under lighting and heat pumps.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/19 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1st point is don't finance because it's not a good idea for any purchase but especially not an RV because of the depreciation. Reduce the age and miles to match your cash but focus on getting one in good shape regardless of age, miles. I think you can get one for less than 80K if needed. The size you want is 6 to 10 feet too big but that's just a personal opinion. Just as a starting point, we bought a 2003 Winnebago; 30 ft. Class C with 2 slides in 2012 with 20000 miles for $23000.
Spent plenty on it but no regrets. Now 60000 miles. I would go for Winnebago again because I think quality is as good as it gets and you can always get any part.

Jayco-noslide

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Brother in Law wants to not get in financial trouble
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.