cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Washington DC area

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
This coming fall DW and I will travel to the Washington DC area, park our trailer and stay there until we have seen EVERYTHING. Well, perhaps not everything, but pretty dang close. We would like to find an RV park on the edge of DC that is in some proximity to rapid transit of some sort. In other words, we'll be going into to DC every day, but we don't want to drive there and try to park that big truck. Some type of commuter rail near the RV park would be ideal. Does anyone know of such a place to stay in the DC area?
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream
16 REPLIES 16

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
bobsallyh wrote:
Bull Run Regional County Park. near Manassas Battlefield. Water and power at sites, dump station on grounds. Metro station just up the road. We always used this location for ball games or touring the city. Metro is very user friendly. There is very little parking in DC. And tour deals are OK but on you are on their times. You may want to spend more time at a location then their time permits.

"Just up the road" means about twenty miles here. It looks decent enough to me if one is driving a car there, but pretty impractical to walk or bicycle. The nearest commuter rail is somewhat closer but still several miles.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
mlburst wrote:
Lake Fairfax Park campground only has either 50 amp or 30 amp hookups at each site. They do have a dump station and fresh water fill faucet.

Additionally, many of the sites are not level and are designed for small rigs.

Situation must have changed in the past few years since we were last there. We are 55' long & had no need to unhitch. There were plenty other similar very long sites. Levels were no different than many CGs. Might have needed a board or two. The only grumble one might have is that it is not far from Dulles airport, but even that quietens down.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bull Run Regional County Park. near Manassas Battlefield. Water and power at sites, dump station on grounds. Metro station just up the road. We always used this location for ball games or touring the city. Metro is very user friendly. There is very little parking in DC. And tour deals are OK but on you are on their times. You may want to spend more time at a location then their time permits.

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II

mlburst
Explorer
Explorer
Lake Fairfax Park campground only has either 50 amp or 30 amp hookups at each site. They do have a dump station and fresh water fill faucet.

Additionally, many of the sites are not level and are designed for small rigs.
Mike & Joanna
Myrtle Beach SC/Port Charlotte FL
"Any-timers" since Dec 2010
2010 Heartland Sundance 2900MK
2012 Ford F250 Lariat King Ranch CC 6.7L Diesel
Heartland Owners Club #1452
Escapees #99187

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lake Fairfax County CG in Reston. Half the cost of Cherry Hill. Well spaced sites. Not close to the beltway. Not far from the METRO. A CG within a huge park. Sort of a locals secret. Not known much by the onetime Washington visitor.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
I also was very happy with Cherry Hill. Nice, clean resort-style park. A bit pricey.. in the $80/night range.
2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
We've stayed at Cherry Hill multiple times but just passing through each time and each time we said we should come back and stay there to see DC. Great staff, good amenities and excellent location for DC.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Cloughfam
Explorer
Explorer
I've driven through CHerry Hill but never stayed. My family and I enjoyed Little Bennett Park, its part of the Montogmery Co. MD park system. Very nice. About a half hour-ish from DC. if you prefer a State park feel over the private campground atmosphere.

https://www.montgomeryparks.org/parks-and-trails/little-bennett-regional-park/little-bennett-camping/
2011 Jayco JayFlight 25BHS
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 4X2 HEMI
Me, the wife, 2 sons...

catkins
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for Cherry Hill. Enjoy your visit.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Earlyish Sept is an awesome time to go there. We've always stayed at Cherry Hill. Been there a couple times and yet we still either see the same sights or try to hit some new ones. A, IMO a MUST see every time is the changing of the guard at Arlington. Don't carry a pocket knife w/ you as you have to pass thru a metal detector for 99% of places. Look into taking a Grey Line tour. Have fun.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Cherry Hill Park is your only reasonable option. Book a site close to the front, as that is where the bus stop is that will take you to the train. After a day of sight seeing and walking until you think your feet are falling off, the last thing you want to do is walk another mile back to your camper!

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Cherry hill is a good option, though not exactly inexpensive (but that's not to say overpriced; they offer a lot and charge correspondingly).

Not far from them there's Greenbelt National Park, which is not expensive but has very few ammenities (no hookups, typical rustic public campground) but lots of sites and a reasonable walk of maybe a mile and a half to the nearest Metro station.

East of the city there's Lake Farifax county park, which offers intermediate ammenities (hookups, etc.) and likewise is not too distant from a Metro station. I think all three campgrounds are around a mile or two walking from their respective nearest Metro stations, or a bit farther by car on the roads.

As bgum says, you'll be there a very long time to begin to see everything.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck, we lived there for 4 years and never saw it all.