cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hwy 2 Washington

Not_a_Clue
Explorer
Explorer
We are currently in Fidalgo Bay and heading to Lincoln State Park Washington. GPS has going across on hwy 2, Anybody with any knowledge off that hwy? TIA!
Linda B.
Our Blog
2009 29' Fleetwood, Fiesta V10 - The Little Bus
2008 Saturn Vue (Toad)with US Gear UBS
& Demco baseplate and tow bar.
FMCA# F412985
Traveling with Robin(friend)& Buddee(cavalier)
13 REPLIES 13

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cayote Melon wrote:
Hwy 2 is a beautiful mountain pass road, dotted with lovely forest campgrounds and beautiful scenery. Your other option would be I90 and if I had my ruthers I would take Hwy 2. As for deaths, I'll bet I90 has a worse record as speed limits range from 75 (which means lots drive 80+) to 55 which no one drive. I would take 2 over 90 any day

Don't forget that wonderful town of Leavenworth!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
Cayote Melon wrote:
Hwy 2 is a beautiful mountain pass road, dotted with lovely forest campgrounds and beautiful scenery. Your other option would be I90 and if I had my ruthers I would take Hwy 2. As for deaths, I'll bet I90 has a worse record as speed limits range from 75 (which means lots drive 80+) to 55 which no one drive. I would take 2 over 90 any day

Nope...US-2 between Skykomish and Everett is โ€œThe Highway of Deathโ€. I-90 has far fewer fatal accidents through the towns west of its summit than does US-2. I am a Snohomish County native. US-2 (The Stevens Pass Highway) is infamous here.

As I advised: RVers, please do not feel that you have to speed way up to placate those trying to โ€œpushโ€ you. Drive within your limits on this highway.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Cayote Melon wrote:

I'll take 20 over 2 any day in the summer.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Cayote_Melon
Explorer
Explorer

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
We live on Similk Bay about 4 miles south of you.

Today is the Watefront Festival at Cap Sante Marina in Anacortes, which is fun to see.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

Not_a_Clue
Explorer
Explorer
Pangaea Ron wrote:
All good information about US-2. It's a beautiful drive.

The sun is finally burning off the marine layer this morning in Anacortes.

We are in Fidalgo Bay RV Resort on the water and it is gorgeous!
Linda B.
Our Blog
FMCA# F412985

Not_a_Clue
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone!
Linda B.
Our Blog
FMCA# F412985

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most accidents occur at the busy west end, with turnings or drivers crossing over middle. Maybe there's a good reason for those towns being speed traps - though I've never observed such traps myself (or been caught in one). After Gold Bar traffic tends to smooth out, but the road gets curvier. Not that there's anything a mega-RV can't handle with a good driver.

The OP is from Southern California. Unless you stick with the freeways you can't leave the LA basin without driving on similar roads.

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
All good information about US-2. It's a beautiful drive.

The sun is finally burning off the marine layer this morning in Anacortes.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
We forgot to mention, every town on the route is a speed trap.

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
US-2 over Washingtonโ€™s Cascades is posted 60mph, but it should be posted no more than 50mph for most of the route in my opinion. Do not be intimidated by drivers trying to โ€œpushโ€ you to speed up. Drive smart and stay safe. Many, many deaths on highway 2 in both directions over the years between Everett and the Stevens Pass summit.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Google Maps has streetview the whole way. WSDOT has a number of traffic cams. There's also some paving work at the west end (around the town of Snohomish). Traffic can be heavy in the Monroe to Gold Bar stretch, with commuters and vacationers.

The main grade east bound is the final loop before the summit.

The stretch through Tumwater Canyon (before Leavenworth) is relatively flat but twisty as it follows the river. The passenger will enjoy the views more than the driver.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Not a Clue wrote:
We are currently in Fidalgo Bay and heading to Lincoln State Park Washington. GPS has going across on hwy 2, Anybody with any knowledge off that hwy? TIA!

Average road 2 lanes most of the way. on and off passing lanes.
we were over it from 97 junction west Tuesday.