cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wind damage?

richclover
Explorer
Explorer
Yesterday and today we pulled across western NB and WY. Headwinds all the way. Really bad today, WY, but not unusual. Gusts to 40 mph on the nose. Really hurt the fuel mileage, about 8 mpg for the Cummins. But very able to hold whatever speed we wanted. 65 mph was comfortable with the wind.

So... we’re lookin’ at hurricane force wind on the front of the camper. We’re home safe and wondering if anyone has seen on the road wind damage?
Rich
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2021 CanAm Maverick DS Turbo
Southern NV
9 REPLIES 9

richclover
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
I've towed in 60 mph winds, not fun and not recommended. Other then horrific fuel consumption no damage was sustained. Went through three quarters of a tank of Diesel in 2 hours.

Thanks for the replies, Everyone!

I’ll get out the ladder today and check out my roof. No damage evident around the front of the trailer.

Luckily we didn’t have too much crosswind. Overhead electric signs along I-80 warned of 40+ wind gusts and I’ve seen the road closed to high profile vehicles for wind.

We did sustain some underside damage... not wind related and subject of another thread.
Rich
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2021 CanAm Maverick DS Turbo
Southern NV

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve only ever noticed the curb side siding bowing out at the top. I assume a staple or 2 let loose! Otherwise I’ve never seen any damage.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
A FW passed us once going the other way. No idea what speed he was doing but his roof was billowed upwards and puffed out like a balloon. That's when I wish I had a dash cam. I wonder what speed it takes to create that amount of lift.

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had similar wind in 2016 heading west across North Dakota. It pulled the first 10-15 feet of rubber roof loose which required a complete replacement of the roof covering. I went with a Rhino Coatings roof ($6500 and a 10-year warranty) instead of a new rubber roof ($9000 and a 1-year warranty). My auto insurance paid for the new roof.
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I've towed in 60 mph winds, not fun and not recommended. Other then horrific fuel consumption no damage was sustained. Went through three quarters of a tank of Diesel in 2 hours.

LibertyMan
Explorer
Explorer
I pulled across Kansas last year with 40-45mph gust and constant 20+mph wind coming from the side. No damage, but I did have to tie my steps down, they kept coming open while traveling. I passed another travel trailer on the side of the road and they were tying their steps down as well.
2019 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite
2016 Ram CCSB 2500 CTD
GenY Weight Distribution Hitch

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
no damage here.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Awnings, window awnings and slide toppers on my recent trip out that way.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Sixty-five with that headwind was up to a total of 105 mph. No wonder your gas mileage was so low.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad