cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wanting to upgrade camper

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 95 Lance Lite 185s and am wanting to upgrade. I've had this camper for 20+ years and its been a great camper and still is. I'm wanting a 5 cu. ft fridge instead of my 3.0. My rig weighs 2410 loaded except personal gear. I'm looking for something around that weight. I have a 2001 GMC 2500HD SB CC DM. What camper would fit my needs weight wise, don't want to go heavier if possible.

2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!;)
9 REPLIES 9

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I am sitting in RV park next to 10-footer Northern Lite.
The neighbor loves it for his off-road adventures and says it is only 2000 lb (with jacks and AC).
Look to me like nice camper as well, although don't know all the specs.
By the looks it is 7 feet wide.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I rented a Northern Lite TC in Alaska and it was really good.

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Not in the league with those mentioned, but I bought a 2019 Palomino Backpack HS8801. Weight was at 2,400 lbs. Worked well with my 2500 HD Dodge Ram, LB, CC.
Black tank 7 gal, Grey 9. Fresh water 12. Not sure what size refrig was but one piece with freezer across the top. 2/20# LP tanks.

B-n-B
Explorer III
Explorer III
tuna fisher wrote:
I have a 95 Lance Lite 185s and am wanting to upgrade. I've had this camper for 20+ years and its been a great camper and still is. I'm wanting a 5 cu. ft fridge instead of my 3.0. My rig weighs 2410 loaded except personal gear. I'm looking for something around that weight. I have a 2001 GMC 2500HD SB CC DM. What camper would fit my needs weight wise, don't want to go heavier if possible.

We had your same camper as our first hard sided TC and loved it! We currently have a Lance 650. Similar size with a larger dinette than the 185 had, and larger tanks as well. The day I picked it up I drove straight to a certified scale and the weight as delivered (with full propane) was exactly 2000 pounds. The only options we didn't get were the rear awning, backup camera, swing out entry handle and removable carpet kit. Loaded to the gills (for us) including full fresh water we come in right as 2300 pounds. It still has the 3 cubic foot fridge, but otherwise I think it's worth looking at.
2019 Chevy 3500HD LTZ DRW
2021 Lance 975

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
First I don't believe 20 yo camper in good size weighting 2400lb loaded.
Even new, aluminium "Light" TC don't touch that number, unless you are talking the 6-foot wide Lance makes for rentals (and no jacks).
For me upgrade means you want bigger TC period.
Start with telling us what is your max you can carry?

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with the above. I have a Northstar and it is well built and should last. There are a number of models that might work for length and weight.

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
NorthStar Arrow
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
Bigfoot 1500 series is worth a look. Big fridge, reasonable tank sizes and well made. The dry weight is under your listed figure. Not sure how it will compare to what you have once you are loaded up.

Bigfoot 1500 series.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look at a Northern Lite 811. Great camper.