Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: The best camping spots are free.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Open Roads Forum  >  Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping

> The best camping spots are free.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
steelhunter

North Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/19 04:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The best camping spots are free.

I HATE rv parks. I can't stand to be jammed into those campgrounds with other rvs.

With experience and a sharp eye a person can find safe, peaceful and private camp spots for free nearly anywhere away from big cities.

Smaller rvs have the best chance....thats why I have a class C.

JusBud

Right Here

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/19 05:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can count on one hand the number of times we've stayed at an rv park in the last 20 years
Have to admit the one was really nice but it was $61 a night

* This post was edited 06/26/19 05:30pm by JusBud *

cewillis

Tucson, az, usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/23/19 05:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't know about 'anywhere', but I know I've found a bunch WAY away from cities.

Cal

Lwiddis

Veterans’ Park, Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/23/19 05:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At the end of a trip I will sometimes spring for a coin-operated self-serve car/RV wash and an RV park to dump, rinse and dump again. Otherwise I hate RV parks too.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/19 07:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Much harder to come by on the East Coast. From the Blue Ridge Mountains to the Atlantic ocean. Places you can just stop and camp are few, and far between. Not much land that is not in use around here.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/19 09:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks steelhunter.
I left the East Coast almost 50 years because it was hard to find a place to camp.
Now I have a million acre backyard of public land and can camp on all of it.

mrw8i

Home

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/19 09:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the last 10 years, have stayed at 2 RV resorts. The last time 2 nights ago. Spent a week at the North Rim Grand Canyon dry camping. On the way to the Grand Canyon we stayed overnight on BLM land about 30 miles north of Las Vegas. Ran generator and A/C all night to keep the RV about 79 degrees. Next morning was hot, and the bees - OMG the bees looking for water, we were on the road by 7:30AM. Had a wonderful time on the North Rim, traveled all over in the RZR going to hard to get to lookouts over the Canyon. On the way home we stayed at an RV resort in Las Vegas at $57. Not our kind of thing to do. Wasn't sure what to do while there, so we sat outside, drank wine, BBQ'd, then went to bed with the A/C on but without the Generator. Next morning, no bees, emptied the trash, dumped the 2 full tanks from the previous 7 days of dry camping (black and gray), and headed home. I preferred the RV resort, to the BLM boondocking the week before.

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/19 05:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terryallan wrote:

Much harder to come by on the East Coast. From the Blue Ridge Mountains to the Atlantic ocean. Places you can just stop and camp are few, and far between. Not much land that is not in use around here.

X2 ... Michigan isn't part of "the East" but it's a very old state, almost all the land is privately owned. See a clearing off a road, 9 out of 10 it's private. Will you get caught? Maybe not especially in the UP.

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

Trekkar

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/19 07:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terryallan wrote:

I find that most of the dispersed camping that shows up on the MVUF maps from the USDA are pretty accurate, and lightly used. Have you tried FS camping in the National Forests? (Pisgah, Cherokee, Uwharrie, etc. in NC)

2001 RoadTrek 190

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/19 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A third Michigander here, and I am also a refugee from the east coast megopolis. That band used to be from navigable water 100 miles inland and it now is more like 150. That still leaves some of NY, but I try to avoid that as it is now a police state. It does leave a some of New Hampshire, a lot of Vermont and a big portion of Maine. There are also areas of Pennsylvania that are usable. There are national forest areas in all those states and some allow camping.

Even in these areas, if you want to bivouac for a week outside of a national forest, there may be a problem, but one or two nights can usually get by.

We just don't go there because I'm sure I would be breaking some law I never heard of. I just don't need that.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping

> The best camping spots are free.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS