Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Which to comprimise on? Toilet or Heat?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Which to comprimise on? Toilet or Heat?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
maxum1989

Mt Vernon WA and Vancouver B.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/19 05:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

larkyblast wrote:

Thanks! We've decided to go with the one with the better heating system and make the toilet work.
We did look at northern lite but a bit too expensive for us.

You made the correct decision in my opinion. There are several ways of dealing with the toilet for winter use. Simplest is as mentioned already, use window washer fluid or rv antifreeze to flush, which ever is cheaper at the time needed. Can even water it down some depending on how cold it really is. Very difficult to aftermarket a heating system as good as the Alde.

2008 Chevy 2500hd Duramax/Allison
2006 Wildcat 27 bhwb
2009 Lance 830 *Sold*
2011 Northern Lite 8.5

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/19 11:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think you compromised at all.
Never have really ad trouble finding a dump site. Winter is a different story though, so that could be a consideration, but I have no desire to pack and dump 5 gallon cans of ____ in a toilet! Uuurp!!
Find a sewer or septic clean out somewhere you can use when dump stations are closed or the local turd farm (sewer treatment plant).
Awesome choice in campers, love the look of Cirrus campers.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul
"Obviously I don't want to overload my truck and be unsafe, but the reality is the truck is way more capable than the 10K GVWR they put on the sticker.
KJ"

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/19 07:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you winterize the lines with RV antifreeze ... not poisonous windshield washer fluid, you can flush like normal. In my area, it’s about $2 a gallon if you look around. Sure, you may have to look for a sunny/warmer day to dump, but I haven’t really had an issue. The question though is ... are your dump stations open in Winter where you live. I can cheat since I can dump at home. If you blow out lines, then you can flush with a gallon of fluid, but that’s quite a bit more of a hassle. In other words, there are viable alternatives to cassettes which have their own issues and can freeze as well.

Many commercial RV parks will allow you to dump even if you don’t stay there for a fee. I’d call around and find out when they are open.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Wardster

Kingston, Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/19 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bionic Man wrote:

Get the one with traditional toilet and use washer fluid or RV antifreeze to flush it.

This is what we do and it works great.

2016 Northern Lite 8'11" Q Classic Special Edition
2003 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 - Duramax/Allison

hedge

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/19 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll be interested to hear your feedback on how the heating system works in the winter. I like the idea but don't have any experience with it.

2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

larkyblast

calgary

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/19 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone! We pick up our camper on saturday. I'll report back once we get settled in.
I am really nervous about the weight since it's much heavier than I wanted to go, and in a fantasy land I'd still like to tow my small horse trailer with one horse, but I'll cross that bridge later. The price was just so much less than the lighter campers I was looking at. I'm confident we can still tow our small aluminum flat deck sled trailer that I can move by hand.
I am already planning some mods to cut weight like removing the enormously oversized microwave. At least the transfer of stuff from our existing camper is lightweight; a few pillows, a tupperware of plastic dishes and a few lawn chairs, we travel light.

For winter flushing of the toilet, you winterize your fresh tank then use the antifreeze/washer fluid to flush by adding it manually? This unit does have heated tanks but I'm very leary to use them since it gets really cold here, I can't imagine how cold the camper could get while driving at highway speeds when the air temp is -20.

larkyblast

calgary

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/19 01:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

A wise choice!

Do read the full time forum on winter camping.

Where is the winter camping forum? On this site? I can't seem to find it in the topics. Thanks for the tip!

joerg68

St. Ingbert, Germany

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/19 01:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Scroll down to Full time RVing on the main page. There is a Winter Camping sticky there in the first position.

https://forums.trailerlife.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/listings/forum/33.cfm

2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/19 01:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

larkyblast wrote:

For winter flushing of the toilet, you winterize your fresh tank then use the antifreeze/washer fluid to flush by adding it manually?

Yes

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Which to comprimise on? Toilet or Heat?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS