Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Inverter in repurposed generator locatoin with agm batteries
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Inverter in repurposed generator locatoin with agm batteries

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
dave17352

Ne

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/19 07:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

With PWM you get Isc value for amps to the battery. Flat on roof will not get as many as aimed.

With MPPT it is all about watts. Let's say you have 300w aimed (series or parallel makes no diff) You lose 10% of your watts due to panel heating. So now you are at your 270 watts. Lose say 2% wiring loss from array to controller (which is pretty good) Now at 264.6 watts. Controller efficiency say 97% (it could be more like 95%) so now at 256.7 watts output.

Amps to battery is output watts/ battery voltage (assuming no wiring loss on that leg)

258/13 = 19.8
258/13.5 =19.1
258/14 = 18.4

With panels flat on roof you start with less than 300 then lose the 10% for heat and go from there.

The PWM does not lose amps from heat, in fact amps go up slightly, so you don't lose. Still get same as whatever Isc is at the time.

Only good reason to get MPPT instead of PWM for that sort of work is if you get one 300w panel instead of three 100s. Now you must have MPPT to get the buck converter in it so you can go from 24v panel to 12v battery.

And, in the above calculation where controller efficiency is mentioned, don't forget the efficiency is lower when dropping voltage, so 24-12 loses more than 12-12. That might be a good reason to stay in parallel with the three 100s and MPPT.

However, it can be wiring gauge that makes a practical difference to your installation plan. Just don't expect a bunch of amps that won't ever happen in real life.

Well we will see. The higher voltage will have less resistance. I payed 89 bucks for the mppt and I can go from series to parallel if I want to get to the nitty gritty. But knowing that I was seeing 10 amps before if I see 18 to 20 now I will call it a win! [emoticon] It is not always extremly hot when I am camping. Many times it is nice and cool which would negate the panel heating loss. All in all in will be a interesting experiment. Solar is fun that I know for sure.

2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
[email protected] turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
50 gal aux tank
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!
Renogy 200 Watt solar

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/19 07:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With 6.2 Isc, you would get 12.4 aimed at high sun. Flat on roof is less due not being aimed. How much less depends on how high the sun is anyway, where you are at that time of year.

In May at 49N with a single 130w panel (8.2 Isc) and PWM I got 8.1 aimed and 5.1 flat at 10 am, and 8.3 aimed and 7.2 flat at high noon.

If you were there then, your 12.4 would be 7.2/8.3 x 12.4 = 10.75 at high noon.

Flat vs aimed less diff going South so at 23N on 21 June sun is overhead no diff.

Don't confuse ambient cool temps with panel heating temps. The panel gets hot in the sun even when it is not that hot out ambient. Just put your hand on the panel! I took some temps with my IR gun on the back of my tilted up panel aimed at the sun at different ambients, so I have seen how that works.

Yes, solar is interesting, plus it is even useful! [emoticon]

1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
See Profile for House electronics set-up.

dave17352

Ne

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/19 08:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ambient cooler and or cloudy days will still make for a cooler panel. Which will make for higher voltage. But of course if it is cloudy we won't be getting much current [emoticon]

marcsbigfoot20b27

Phx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/28/19 09:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The best part of MPPT and series panels is that 3 100 watt panels in series will be around ~57volts.
In parallel around ~18 volts.

Now throw in major overcast skies.

MPPT maybe half panel output......let’s say 27 volts.
PWM parallel half output .... maybe 9 volts.

MPPT will at least charge some amps.
PWM at 9 volts = nothing.

Even 3 amps is better than nothing for X hours.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Inverter in repurposed generator locatoin with agm batteries
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS