Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Questions and Opinions on Rigs

texaspiper
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings All,

I am a TC newbie in search of some advice and opinions regarding some tow rigs I am considering. I am looking at both the Ram 3500 DRW and the F-350 DRW and I would appreciate feedback from owners of these vehicles who ideally have the same setup I am looking at. I have been looking at the Arctic Fox 1150 and intend to purchase this as my camper. I will also be using the truck to tow a small 20โ€™ fish and ski boat and my Jeep on a trailer (obviously not at the same time). I intend to sometimes tow the Jeep or boat with the TC loaded as well. I intend to use the truck as my daily driver.

I have been considering ordering my truck from the dealer with the exact options I want but since I am new to this I do not know how much value these options hold for my intended use of the truck.

For the Ram 3500, there is an available factory air suspension. It is more expensive than available air bag systems out there. But since it is a factory item it would be covered by warranty. Thoughts on this?

Both trucks can be optioned with dual alternators. How much use are these for the TC? Can you use them to charge batteries or say run the fridge or AC while running down the road?

Factory Upfitter modules. Any use? Extra Factory auxiliary switches. Any use?

Axle ratios? Can I get by with a 3.73 or is a 4.10 more realistic for the AF1150 with a trailer behind?

I have seen a couple crazy good deals on some Ram 3500s at my local dealer. I have never seen one though that has the above options. Bottom line, is it worth ordering it for these options?

Again, I would appreciate some honest feedback on both these trucks. What you like, what you hate etc.

Thank you in advance,

TexasPiper
19 REPLIES 19

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
I would do a 3.73 if you go RAM, with the Aisin transmission. Look at the 1st gear ratios on the transmissions. I heard or read the Aisin has a low 1st gear. On the road you can always drop it down a gear if needed.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Highway_Runner
Explorer
Explorer
In most cases it comes down to personal preference.
I carry an Eagle Cap 1165 TS on a 16 F-350 6.2 gas with a 4.30 Diff. The AirLift 7500 XLs help a lot which is a recommendation for either truck.
I have run both brands with diesel. No more diesel for me.
Buy what you like, load, and enjoy.
2015 Eagle Cap 1165
2016 F-350 Lariat 4x4, 6.2 Boss Dually, 4.30 Axle
Air Lifter 7500 XL w Rancho 9000s & Torklift Stable Loads

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
That Ram dually will handle the AF1150, put a set of Timbrens double convoluteโ€™s and install a Roadmaster or Hellwig swaybar and enjoy your ride. If you run with 20 gallons of fresh water instead of the full 60 you will gain payload that way.

DaveInVA
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Bighorn. Leaf spring suspension using Torklift StableLoads. I haven't towed a car as of yet, but I don't believe I'd have any problems. The diesel motor easily runs 70mph fully loaded, climbed well through West Virginia hills, there's minimal sway if any, and I average around 11 mpg.

At the time, the Ram was the only diesel with enough payload for the Fox.

It's extremely comfortable riding in it and I've been very pleased with the performance.

Hope it helps.

texaspiper
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks larkyblast, just checked your post. So according to some other members it does seem all that matters is the GAWR. Feeling more comfortable now.

-TexasPiper

larkyblast
Explorer
Explorer
texaspiper I posted the same question recently. If you look for my thread on GVWR, there is a lot of discussion on this. The gist is how I couldn't understand how my payload on a 3500 was so low, or how every single camper out there other than pop ups would exceed it. Basically I realise that every single combination I see on the road has to exceed the sticker payload.
I was over on pretty much every camper I looked at, and ended up being over on the camper I bought. Only the campers advertised as for half ton trucks were under the GVWR of my 1t (2900lbs on the sticker).

texaspiper
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your replies. It is definitely helping me nail down what I want to do.

So after reading many articles and forum posts on the subject I am a little concerned on the GVWR. It seems many people are running over their truck's GVWR and are ok with this. And it seems to be a grey area legally depending on where you live and registration requirements. Some posts I've seen say as long as you do not exceed the vehicles GAWR you are ok.

The wet weight for the AF1150 according to truckcampermagazine.com is 5129 lbs. That includes fresh tank, propane, batteries and a 500lb allowance for stuff. According to Ram the 2019 3500 DRW 4x4 with standard diesel has payload capacity of 5840 lbs. That only leaves 711 lbs for me the wife and kids plus random stuff. I can increase the payload capacity by either dropping the 4x4 (which I don't want to do) or by going to a gasser.

Obviously the truck could handle being a couple hundred pounds over. What are yalls opinions on runninng over the GVWR? I would definitely be under the GAWR.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
texaspiper wrote:
. . . Both trucks can be optioned with dual alternators. How much use are these for the TC? Can you use them to charge batteries or say run the fridge or AC while running down the road? . . .
It would take approx. 20 amps DC to run the frig heating element on 120 vac using an inverter and, again, approx. 20 amps DC to run the frig's heating element on 12 vdc (have to have a 3-way frig to do this). The 7-pin connector wiring on most trucks are limited to about to approx. 10 amps. Unless you install larger gauge wiring in your truck you're gonna run a current deficit (with a 20 amp DC load) regardless whether you have one or two alternators.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Fridge s ucks alot of juice on DC. Propane is more efficient. Running AC on battery power will require a big, quality inverter and some dedicated effort into the charging circuit from the truck to the house battery bank.
Plan on some $ and effort there. You can't just plug in the camper and run the fridge all day on DC and cant run the AC at all.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
For the Ram 3500, there is an available factory air suspension. It is more expensive than available air bag systems out there. But since it is a factory item it would be covered by warranty. Thoughts on this?

It depends. if their system simply air bags, then no, not worth it.

Both trucks can be optioned with dual alternators. How much use are these for the TC? Can you use them to charge batteries or say run the fridge or AC while running down the road?

With a good solar system, your camper will charge batteries going down the road AND standing still if good sunshine is present.
The truck alternators camper charging ability is limited by the small wire in the camper cable - truck charging will be insufficient to run fridge or AC.

Factory Upfitter modules. Any use? Extra Factory auxiliary switches. Any use?

Yes to upfitter switches. You might want to add a rear view camera to watch that towed Jeep. Or additional lighting projects in the future.

Axle ratios? Can I get by with a 3.73 or is a 4.10 more realistic for the AF1150 with a trailer behind?

3.73 with a diesel engine will do the job for you.

That AF1150 will put the rig at, and mostly probably, over the trucks GVWR - so be aware of that.
Concentrate your resources on upgrades to the sway bar and shocks. Possibly consider after market wheel and tire up-sizing.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
I am one of the Dodge boys here. My 18 was custom ordered by me because I prefer 2wd. Plus I have always wanted a pickup with bucket seats ๐Ÿ™‚
Laramie, Aisin Transmission, 2wd, Dually, 3:73, single alternator with no factory air bags because as the truck leans the air transfers from one bag to the other.(although if your towing a 5er I hear its a great system)
I did go with the switches but have not wired any of them up. I also added remote start, they come with this phone app for electric start but after 1st year they want more money than I feel its worth for the subscription to use it.
I also went with Non NAV radio (the big radio comes rather with, or without nav)
I did add the BigWig sway bar (1-5/16") on the back.
But if you order now your going to get a 19, or maybe even 2020 pretty soon
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
texaspiper wrote:

I use my dual alternators to charge going down the road, while running the fridge on AC via the inverter, but it takes a heavy duty charging cable to accomplish it:

Video: Truck to truck camper battery charging
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Navy_LDO
Explorer
Explorer
I run a 2016 Ram 3500 dually Laramie 4x4 with 69rfe, with stable loads and torque lift tie downs with fast guns. Opted not to get air suspension and very happy with ride. Use a super hitch and 36โ€ extension to tow enclosed trailer with motorcycles. New camper is an Eagle Cap 1165. No issues and love the set up and rise. Did cross country move over the Xmas holidays from Bremerton WA to Suffolk VA. Very solid set up even in snow!

Friend has 2017 Ford dually with no complaints. Drive the one you like.
2016 Dodge 3500 Crew Cab 6.7L, Aisin AS69RC, Laramie, 4x4, 14K
2005 Carriage CW378, Onan 5.5 LP, Astro Foil, Dual Pane Windows, Mor-Ryde IS and Pin Box. (Former Full-time House)
2018 Eagle Cap 1165 , solar, Onan

texaspiper
Explorer
Explorer
Thank yall very much for the feedback, especially regarding the air system.

I donโ€™t plan on powering anything major other than the truck camper. I was only planning on recharging the camper batteries and providing power for the fridge and ac unit while driving. Have yall found that a single alternator is enough for this?

Work2much, did you have a lot of problems with your 1150? Did you buy new? How long did you own the camper? The slide broke a lot?

Thanks,

-TexasPiper