cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Baltimore Tunnel

LIGirlatheart
Explorer
Explorer
We are traveling from NY to Yorktown VA on 95 with our 5th wheel. Can we travel thru the Baltimore tunnel? If not what would be the alternate route to take? We will then continue to Emerald Island NC on Rt 17. Will we have any issues with height of our 5th wheel? Looking for the right route and the best way around any other issues. Can anyone out there assist me? Please.
17 REPLIES 17

esyers
Explorer
Explorer

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
Just stay on the New Jersey Turnpike it will take you to the De. Memorial Bridge then just follow signs to 95 then Rt.1

Height is fine big trucks use the tunnel which they are all usually 13'6" just remeber you have to turn off your propane to go thru the tunnel
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

LIGirlatheart
Explorer
Explorer
Is there limitations on that Route - Chesapeke Bay Bridge - our height I 13'6.

esyers
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't mind the toll, NJ Turnpike to Exit 1 (Delaware Memorial Bridge". Pick up either Del 1 or US 13 South from there.

LIGirlatheart
Explorer
Explorer
I guess its 95 thru PA?

LIGirlatheart
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all - I think we will choose Rt 1 in DE to Rt13 below dover then Chesapeake Bay Bridge.

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
As others have said, take the Rt. 695 Beltway around Baltimore. You can take the East route and use the bridge, but there is a toll for that. This way is a bit more scenic, but probably not worth the toll in my opinion. If you go west (I believe it's labelled "Towson"), there is no toll.

I've done both, and while the east is supposedly a bit shorter distance wise, timewise, I don't really notice any difference, and usually take the western beltway around the city 'cause it's cheaper.

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Here's more info on road restrictions around Maryland:
https://learntorv.com/road-tunnel-restrictions-near-maryland/
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Esacnj
Explorer
Explorer
I travel to outer banks every year with 5th wheel. I do what dblr says and take Rt. 1 to 13 and bay bridge tunnel. If you go the 695 route I take it west instead of east and avoid scott key bridge. Really no longer west.
Esacnj

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
We travel I-95 through Baltimore at least twice a year (grandkids in the area). We ALWAYS take 695 around the west side. It adds about 15 minutes to our commute and 10 years to my life expectancy.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Moved from General RVing
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
You can take 695 east towards the Scot Key Bridge to avoid the tunnel in Baltimore.

Also you can follow Rt.1 in De. to the 301 bypass then stay on 301 into Va. then get on 17 shortly after you enter Va. ( 10 + miles )

Third option would be Rt.1 in De. to Rt 13 below Dover then take the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel ( propane ok as long as turned off )
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought a new to us fifth wheel and live on Eastern Long island. First:
Get up top with a tape measure an know exactly how tall you are. They said that we are 13.6 but when I measured wwe were 12. 6. I added maxx air covers and we are now 13' even.
Second:
Buy a truckers map and or a rv/truckers gps. regular GPS will NOT indicate low bridges and truck routes.

Third:
You CANNOT take the 495/BQE to leave Long Island an more like we did with a TT. There is a 12'6" bridge obstruction. Now its the George Washington Bridge or other north routes when going south.

Fourth:
Unless you like sitting in traffic, the magic launch time to get over the bridges is 3 am. We did that last year and set down on Fredericksburg KOA of exit 126 on I95 VA around 1pm. Took a power nap, when to dinner. Woke up and continued southbound.

Happy Trails
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Propane restrictions on Maryland tunnels limited to 10 lb containers of propane gas with a limit of 10 containers :h:

Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR) govern the transport of hazardous materials across our toll facilities. Under these regulations, vehicles carrying bottled propane gas in excess of 10 pounds per container (maximum of 10 containers), bulk gasoline, explosives, significant amounts of radioactive materials, and other hazardous materials are prohibited from using the Fort McHenry Tunnel (I-95) or the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel (I-895). The Francis Scott Key Bridge (I-695, the Baltimore Beltway) is a convenient alternative route for crossing Baltimore's Harbor.

If you are not making any stops between Yorktown and Suffolk Va, I can give you advice on driving through. The traffic is slower city and slower rural, with many traffic lights if you try to follow rt 17 exactly until you get to Suffolk.